PDA

View Full Version : What strings do you use?

Robert
October 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I go for SIT 09 - 42. After I had a run-in (literally) with a door a couple of years back, I had to go down in gauge. I used to have 10s and sometimes 11s before that. I go with SIT because I get an extra high E string! I'm not sure if there really is much difference between brands, I haven't really compared. Do you think there is much difference?

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I dunno Robert. I've used Dean Markleys, GHS Boomers, D'Addarios and a bunch of others. I really could not tell the difference in a blind "taste" test. I'm sure I prefered one of the brands if I can remember...and actually it must have been the Boomers because thats what I always pick up after all these years. They seem to work just fine and I've never broken any strings ever with them. They sound good...their build is consistent. I use 9s also. Used 10s before and they also sound good. I don't have to use really thick strings for a good tone...the 9s and 10s are fine. I prefer the 9s now because they seem to be a little brighter sounding. Crisper. As long as you have a good amp and you play good enough you'll have killer tone. The GHS Boomers are easy to remember by name I think that's why I've always asked for them! hahahaha j/k

I also change my strings a lot. About once every other month. To some thats a lot...they'll use the same set of strings for 6 months or more! Once they're not bouncing off the fret wire when playing and they start sounding dull then they come off.

Rob

guitar_199
October 17th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I tend to waffle back and forth between D'Addario skinny top/heavy bottom and the GHS Nickel Rocker EJ Signature set (which is in essence skinny top heavy bottom). Just can't seem to settle in........ maybe someday.

marnold
October 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I use GHS Boomers Custom Light (.09-.46). Basically the highest three strings are .09s while the bottom end is .10s. I like the combo. I use Boomers mainly because I did try a ton of different strings on my bass back in the day and consistently liked Bass Boomers. So when I went to guitar I stuck with it.

tehuti
October 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I use mostly D'Addario. Pyramid strings seem to be a step up, but I don't know if they're worth the additional $$$.

Robert
October 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
D'addario are nice. I like them. Never heard of Pyramid strings.

Does anyone of you buy in bulk? I'm thinking it might be worth buying 20 packs at the
time or something like that. After all, sooner or later we all need new strings.

Nelskie
October 21st, 2005, 07:56 PM
For the longest time, I used Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys - .10 - .46. They sounded great, but didn't stand up very well to my heavy-handed strumming, or frequent string-bending. I've since switched to D'Addario XL's (same gauge), and they've proven to be much more durable, and IMHO, equally good sound-wise as the Slinkys. Not only that, they seem to sound good longer than the Slinkys. One thing I do every couple of days is to clean my strings using Dr. Stingfellow cleaner / lubricant (made by a company named Kyser). It really makes a difference as far as keeping the strings playable for a longer period of time, not to mention getting all of the crud off of them. I think it's like $6 for a small bottle, which lasts a long time. Good stuff!! As for buying strings by the bulk - if you have several guitars, it's the only way to go. You can easily save yourself at least $1.00 - $2.25 / per pack, depending on what brand you use. Over the course of a year, that can add up pretty quickly.

Robert
October 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM
I have the Stringfellow cleaner too, but I keep forgetting about it. I should really use it more often.

Robert
January 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
So do we have anyone using some really FAT strings, like 12s or 13s? Any Macho Men here? Haha :)

alanfc
January 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I'd always used 009-042's, D'Addario 1982-2002, then changed to .010's and did it for tuning stability- my right hand ain't so graceful. Last year I went to
.011's for the Strat and it was no strength issue just took a couple days you know how it is. Tuning stability was even better. Now with the Carvin its back to the .010's where I'll stay. Thinking about joint health and all that.

stingx
January 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
All my Strats and my Schecter PT get strung with D'Addario 10-46. My super-Strats (Kramer Pacer and Ibanez RG1570) get D'Addario 9-42.

stingx
January 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
So do we have anyone using some really FAT strings, like 12s or 13s? Any Macho Men here? Haha :)

I know someone who goes in a completely opposite direction...custom set of 7.5s!!!

Janarm
January 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings (9-46).With La Bella have I too good experiences.I think the diffrence of brands are for example string strenght,sound,in tune staying time,long life etc.

Tone2TheBone
January 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I've gone back to using Ernie Ball Slinkys.

Ro3b
January 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
D'Addario XL 10's for me. I wish I could play 9's in tune, but I'm kind of a bruiser that way. During my jazz phase a couple of years ago, I tried D'Addario chrome 11s. I loved the tone I got out of them, but they're really unflexible. I couldn't bend them at all. I wouldn't use them again unless I had a dedicated jazz guitar.

FWIW, on acoustic, I use D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums (13-56), which sounds brutal, but they're great for the alternate tunings I use. D'Addario recently started making them with hexagonal cores, and they seem to last forever now.

Big_Rob
January 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM

11s are the fattest ill go. and thats only on my AS73 semi-hollow

Big_Rob
January 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
.11 DiAddario Chromes on the AS73 and .09 Fender stainless steel bullets on the Strat

Katastrophe
January 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
D'addario .010-.046 on the ESP, Ibanez and Charvel. .009s on the Strat, the Fender Super Bullets they came with. I think I'm gonna keep 9s on the Strat and try Elixirs next go 'round, since SuperSwede recommended them so highly.

Big K
January 18th, 2007, 06:26 PM
either 10/46's MF house brand or 10/52's D'Addario XL or Ernie Balls

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
D'Addario XL 10's on the Strat, Dot & my son's Tele. Still have 9's on the LP because it came with a set of them originally, and I've stuck with that size. But I'm going to throw a set of 10's on that one, too, next time I change 'em and see if/how much the tone beefs up....

oldguy
January 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I use these in 10 gauge, just like my shotguns.:eek: !!!

Spudman
January 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM
either 10/46's MF house brand or 10/52's D'Addario XL or Ernie Balls

I use the MF house brand too, Rogue. 10-46 nickel, but I buy the bulk straight sets. They aren't in their catalog. I've been buying them for about 20 years so I know the product #. Otherwise, you can find them by typing "rogue" into their search window.

There is a difference in quality between these straight bulk packs and the coiled and packaged MF sets. The bulk is a much better and consistent string.

BluesRiffer
January 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I like to use D'Addiros 12's but I don't like a wound G string as they stretch too far to get a whole step bend and I run into to the other strings if I have one.

Elixers I use to practice as they seem to last a lot longer but D'Addiros seem to sound the best.

I have found that the heavier gauge strings have the tone I like. However, several players I have conferred with and who have made recordings say that light gauge strings sound just as good. But I never met a player that doesn't like D'Addarios. Also I'm prone to misspellings for these I humbly apologize

helliott
January 18th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I swear by Ernie Power Slinkies, with an 11 on top down to a 48 or 52. Heavier is better, just ask SRV -- wish we could! My semi-acoustic is strung for jazz and slide, and has a 12 or 13 on top.

kerc
January 19th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Webstrings .009-.042. Work great, awesome price.

F_BSurfer
January 19th, 2007, 05:13 AM
For me it is D"Addario 10's have 9's on one strat and have a parts strat when I finish with it plan on putting 11 maybe 12's on it
I buy the 10s in bulk loose sets of 25 from local guy averages out to be $2.50 a set

zeusse
January 19th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Happy New Years folks sorry I haven't been on here for awhile too much darn hockey all the time and been overly busy at work but my schedule seems to be letting up so I will be able to get here more. As for the strings mostly Peavey as of late 9's on the Wolfgang and 10's on the Strat. On the Ibanez and LP I use Dean Markley they just seem to work better, but the other day I broke the A string on the Wolf and used an old Ernie Ball E string I was desperate and my goodness it was chunky..:DR

alanfc
January 22nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
I'd always used 009-042's, D'Addario 1982-2002, then changed to .010's and did it for tuning stability- my right hand ain't so graceful. Last year I went to
.011's for the Strat and it was no strength issue just took a couple days you know how it is. Tuning stability was even better. Now with the Carvin its back to the .010's where I'll stay. Thinking about joint health and all that.

back to .011's on the Carvin :rolleyes: I can't go back to smaller ones. The tuning is too good with .011

Danzego
January 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Over the last few years, I've been fond of DR .10's and Dean Markley .10's. However, the wifey has had this thing about buying me strings for Christmas or Birthday and she always gets Zakk Wylde Boomers, which run .10-.60 (yes, .60). I've been thinking of going back to my regulars, but then she just went and got a few more sets last time we were at Guitar Center for my upcoming birthday, so I guess I'll have to hold off on that.

Unless, of course, the new LP I'm getting won't fit those low end strings. I've already filed the nut on my BC Rich Mockingbird and Ibanez Destroyer to fit those things. There's no way I'm going to file the LP's nut right after I get it. ;)

Jimi75
January 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I have heard that there are in fact only three big factories that produce strings. In the production line the string can differ from the material tolerances and qualities used as the basig product for the final string. Each company that places an order at the factory can fine tune the production and how the product is treated during or after the production, which means special coating, baths in certain chemicals and so on and on. This is the reason why the big companies like GHS for example have their own laboratory where they test all their stuff and mixtures.

I personally play Dean Markley Blue Steel strings, not only because they sound great, but also because they last very long and somehow keep the tuning better. I used to play 12-52 gauge until two years ago but then had a severe problem with my ringfinger, because the nail always broke from the flesh due to the fat tension of the string when bending them. I suffered a lot from this and it and had to return to play 10-52 a mixed set. It was strange in the beginning, but a man get used to everything :-)

I am still convinced of the fact that fat sound required thick strings. I know about all the rumors that Jimi Hendrix played 08-38, but be sure that this wasn't so.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 26th, 2007, 08:50 AM
tried them all .. d'addario 9's are on my fenders .. tried those elixir's, found them toneless.. just what i need a toneless string that lasts forever ..

kerc
January 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
One thing about SITs...My Reverend came with a set of those, and they seem to last foverer. Still shiny after a month! You have a similar experience with them, Robert?

tiefnig
January 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
D'addario FTW.
I have them on every guitar, even my crap-o-caster.
Great sustain, each string is like a tank, they just feel new for such a long time.
I played the D'addarios on my strat until the high strings felt like barbed wire once :D

Robert
January 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
SIT are good, Kerc. I use a cheap brand from guitarfetish.com. D'addario is my favourite, but I honestly can't tell much difference between brands.