PDA

View Full Version : "Free" CD

tunghaichuan
February 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM
I picked up a copy of Bobby "Blue" Bland's "Live on Beale Street" at a library sale. I listened to it once and it is pretty good, but not really my thing. The disc is great shape, it looks almost new with a few light scratches.

I tell you what, make a $5 donation to TheFret and I'll ship it for free.

First come, first served. US and Canada only for right now.

tung

mrmudcat
February 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Just made a $20 donation so anyone who wants this shout out loud and pm tung ive got it already!!!!:beer:

just strum
February 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
Just made a $20 donation so anyone who wants this shout out loud and pm tung ive got it already!!!!:beer:

:AOK: Nice.

tunghaichuan
February 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Bump.

Nobody wants a free CD? :thwap:

:beer: :AOK: :D

tung

tunghaichuan
February 23rd, 2008, 07:23 PM
CD is gone, thanks Strum.

tung

just strum
February 25th, 2008, 05:02 PM
tung,

I recieved the CD today and I'm listening to it as I type this. Good stuff, I will play it in my sound studio (car) on my way to work and get a better feel for it. I usually listen to a new CD 4 or 5 times straight to get a good feel.

Thanks tung.

tunghaichuan
February 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
tung,

I recieved the CD today and I'm listening to it as I type this. Good stuff, I will play it in my sound studio (car) on my way to work and get a better feel for it. I usually listen to a new CD 4 or 5 times straight to get a good feel.

Thanks tung.

You're welcome. Glad it is in good hands.

tung

just strum
February 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well, we had a decent snow storm last night and today so I had an hour and 35 minute drive in to work to listen to the CD. Nice CD, but for you familiar with Bobby "Blue" Bland, what the he11 is that noise that sounds like he's getting ready to shoot a luggie? I'm assuming that it's him using doing it. He uses does it in almost every song.

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Yes thats him trying to clear his throat for lack of a better description.;)I'm not sure if he has always been doing this or if it is something that has happened over time and in later years!!:poke: They refer to this as his pig snort???:dude:

just strum
February 27th, 2008, 06:19 AM
At first I thought it was one of those things that has grooves in you rake a stick over (don't know the name but the think it was used a lot in Can't You Hear Me Knocking by the Stones). Then I realized it was him clearing his throat or giving an emphatic growl.

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Your thinking of a washboard brother!!!

Ripped from Wikipedia;

The washboard and frottoir are used as a percussion instrument, employing the ribbed metal surface of the cleaning device as a rhythm instrument.

As traditionally used in jazz, cajun, skiffle, jug band, and old time music, the washboard remained in its wooden frame and is played primarily by tapping, but also scraping the washboard with thimbles. Often the washboard has additional traps, such as a wood block, a cowbell, and even small cymbals.

Conversely, the frottoir dispenses with the frame and consists simply of the metal ribbing hung around the neck. It is played, also with thimbles, but with much more strumming than tapping. The frottoir, also called a Cajun rub-board or Zydeco rub-board, is a mid 20th century invention designed specifically for Zydeco music. It was designed in 1946 by Clifton "King of Zydeco" Chenier, and fashioned by Willie Landry, a friend and metalworker at the Texaco refinery in Port Arthur, Texas. Clifton's brother Cleveland Chenier famously played this newly designed rubboard using bottle openers. Likewise, Willie's son, Tee Don Landry, continues the traditional hand manufacturing of rubboards in his small shop outside of Lafayette, LA.

just strum
February 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
No, it's a wooden thing that's usually the size of a deflated football and you rub a stick along the ridges that circle the width of the instrument.

Boy, I cannot think of an easy way to describe this thing. I've seen Stevie Nicks play one, but of course I couldn't find a picture.

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2008, 12:59 PM
HHHHHHMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,cabasa, quiro or some other form of latin percussion im sure:beer:

Rocket
February 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think you might be referring to a Güiro.

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yea thats it Rocket I spelled it wrong!:D

JJ Gross
March 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I think you might be referring to a Güiro.

http://www.xtec.cat/aulanet/ud/musica/orff/conjunt/images/guiro2.jpg

just strum
March 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
yep, that would be it.