PDA

View Full Version : ot: The State of Maryland can bite me!

Brian Krashpad
February 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Not that any of you Marylanders should take it personally.

But I am about ready to swear off out-of-state legal consultation, PARTICULARLY our one client firm that does work in Maryland. I've been working over the past year or so on a post-divorce case involving a looney (literally, I'm talking someone who "sees things") ex-wife law school graduate (who apparently did not pass the Bar and become an attorney thereafter, thank goodness) who has, in no particular order, done sh*t like: put a tape recorder in her daughter's backpack to secretly tape record her therapy session, ordered her son to fake a suicide threat at school (which he did), and fabricated evidence by typing up a supposed "diary" and having her daughter sign it, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

The problem is, the trial court is so p*ssed off at her (and rightly so; I wouldn't cross the street to p*ss on the b*tch if she were on fire), it continues to make stupid procedural errors (oops, son testified that mom's looney, I never was suicidal, etc.-- forgot to swear him in!) that I can't fix on appeal.

Well anyhow, I've been doing work for and paid by an attorney buddy of the ex-husband, and drafting appellate briefs for a SECOND attorney to file. Now that second attorney has got fed up and quit. In the latest round of crap, the appellate court agreed with all our substantive arguments, but said the trial court f*cked up on procedural grounds (like when it forgot to swear in the son, d'oh!). Anyhow, so now we're going to the supreme court of Maryland (whose technical name is actually the "Maryland Court of Appeals"-- why can't they just call it the "Maryland Supreme Court" like approximately 47 other states do? GRRR), and the usual timetable for such second appeals is: first appellate court issues it's "mandate" (order) to the trial court 30 days after the apellate opinion is issued, then you have another 15 days to file your petition in the supreme court, so that the usual deadline is 45 days from the issuance of the appellate opinion to file papers in the supreme court.

So since the appelllate opinion here was issued on January 31, I figured I had a couple weeks into March to get something filed, since the mandate from the first appellate court shouldn't come out until the end of February/start of March.

TODAY I found out, not from the attorneys I work for, but from the actual litigant ex-husband, that the first apellate court's mandate came out A WEEK AGO (two weeks earlier than the usual thirty days), meaning that, instead of mid-March, they have to file in the supreme court by THE END OF NEXT WEEK.

Did I mention I have at least 2 or 3 other projects due in the same time frame?

Upshot: GOODBYE WEEKEND, F*CK YOU MARYLAND COURT OF SPECIAL APPEALS!

PS-- I don't really expect anyone to read all that crap, I just needed to rant.

Hugs,

BK

sunvalleylaw
February 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hey BK, I have had more than one moment like that. Hang in there.

S

just strum
February 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Brian,

The problem is you lawyers sugarcoat how you feel, you need to let it out - show a little guitar face!!!:rockon:

Brian Krashpad
February 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Hey BK, I have had more than one moment like that. Hang in there.

S

Haha, thanks (and Just Strum). In the greater scoipe of things, it's no big deal, just frustrating.

Definitely still hoping to go out Saturday night to the last show of a band that has an ex-member of Crash Pad and a member of my side band (Hoyt & the Hotheads).

sunvalleylaw
February 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Even during exam times back in law school, and briefing/trial deadlines, I have taken off Fri and Sat. nights. It's a perspective thing for me.

BTW, Hoyt just got me my CD, plus and extra. He forgot to "pick up" my pay pal payment so I am going to paypal him again. Tell him thanks when you see him. I am enjoying the music!

Ro3b
February 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Aw, give us another chance! Once you get past the Court of Appeals, Maryland is a pretty nice place. There's crabcakes and stuff.

oldguy
February 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Man, that sucks!
I've never been to Maryland, always heard nice things about it, though.

just strum
February 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Haha, thanks (and Just Strum). In the greater scoipe of things, it's no big deal, just frustrating.

Definitely still hoping to go out Saturday night to the last show of a band that has an ex-member of Crash Pad and a member of my side band (Hoyt & the Hotheads).

Frustration is a killer, music is a lifesaver.

luvmyshiner
February 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Brian, my heart goes out to you brother. This kind of crap is the very reason I don't do appeals. What's really sad is this psycho b**** from hell who feels that she is justified in using her children (and in the process screwing them up for life) to get back at the ex. The behavior is not gender specific and unfortunately it happens way to often.

I was fortunate that my first wife and I were able to (eventually) put our differences aside and realize that our children are what is important. I've seen far to many people who never reached that point. And its sad to realize how many children in this world are screwed for life because one, or both, of their parents were never able to get past personal hostility.

Remember what we used to say in law school, the "A" students become professors, the "B" students become judges, the "C" students become millionaires, and the "D" students become vice president.

I guess this is a good time to announce that I'm running for office and I approve this message.:D

Childbride
February 21st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Brian, ditto to what shiner said...

except the running for office part. nuh uh, no way. :D

i feel for ya, buddy, sorry for what you [and client] are going through...

edit: and more importantly... the kiddos.

Rockette
February 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
"A" students become professors, the "B" students become judges, the "C" students become millionaires, and the "D" students become vice president.
The ones that started out illiterate slide by on daddy's dime, become alcoholics, and eventually president.
Note to moderator--I didn't mention any names!

Spudman
February 21st, 2008, 08:28 PM
This is why you make the big bucks. Suck it up, put on your leathers and kick some a$$. :dude:

Just be thankful that psycho didn't have your children.:messedup: :eek:

luvmyshiner
February 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Rockette! It's good to see you posting over here.

The ones that started out illiterate slide by on daddy's dime, become alcoholics, and eventually president.

Hmmm, unfortunately my daddy was a school teacher, but I am working on the alcoholic part.:D :beer:

Just be thankful that psycho didn't have your children.:messedup: :eek:

Spud, I'm beginning to think you are a very wise man.:master:

Brian Krashpad
February 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM
where's my millions?

:(

KrisH
February 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Try Pennsylvania. They call it the "Unified Judicial System," but that's a lie. Each county has its own local rules, requirements, procedures, fee structures -- even their own little cover sheets! Some days it seems like all I'm doing is chasing paper through some court clerk's office.

And Philly is its own special kind of zoo. Has anybody seen the show "Parking Wars," a show on A&E that follows the Philadephia Parking Authority through their daily paces? Imagine the impound lot clerks on that show (behind their bullet-proof glass) manning the desks at the family court. That's frustration!

Anyhow, when I leave the office, I leave it all there, too. Unless someone else rants first . . . :D

Spudman
February 21st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Spud, I'm beginning to think you are a very wise man.:master:

Thanks but Herr Krashpad is truly the wise one here. If I were wise I'd still be gigging like he is.

Skittles
February 21st, 2008, 11:24 PM
The state of Maryland is the best at screwing ya. If your into bitting they probally will :D

Spudman
February 22nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
The state of Maryland is the best at screwing ya. If your into bitting they probally will :D

That's kind of funny...I think. It is? Right?

Skittles
February 22nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
Forget it:whatever: Wheres the delete option?

tot_Ou_tard
February 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
BTW, Hoyt just got me my CD, plus and extra. Yeah, me too! I haven't had a chance to listen to yet.

Good luck with the Loonies!

Brian Krashpad
February 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, me too! I haven't had a chance to listen to yet.

Good luck with the Loonies!

Thanks, glad to hear they finally got out to y'all. That brightened my day considerably.

Well, I finished up the Motion for Stay, now time to move on to the appellate petition. That's gonna be the real bear.

Oh well, this evening my son gets his Cub Scout Arrow of Light (highest Cub Scout award) at the annual advancement dinner, so that should be fun. Although setting up the chairs beforehand won't be, at least that'll get me out of the office a little early.

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Nice! Have fun at Cubs. Our Pack is having transitional issues and my wife and I are the co-denleaders of the only den left. Plus our Packmaster abandoned ship. We have some re-booting to do, but don't have time to take on the additional responsibility. Setting up chairs can be fun, though taking them down is more fun. You can make it almost musical. ;-)

Brian Krashpad
February 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Nice! Have fun at Cubs. Our Pack is having transitional issues and my wife and I are the co-denleaders of the only den left. Plus our Packmaster abandoned ship. We have some re-booting to do, but don't have time to take on the additional responsibility. Setting up chairs can be fun, though taking them down is more fun. You can make it almost musical. ;-)

We got really lucky. First, our Pack is really strong, at least 4 or 5 dens, plus we have a den or two from a new start-up Pack that sits in on our Pack meetings. Our den leader moved last year and none of the parents thought they could do it, and a dad whose son had crossed over into Boy Scouts volunteered to be our Den Leader, and his son our Den Chief!

I made them some nice certificates of appreciation and we're also getting them a little plaque to show our appreciation. I actually ended up being the ***'t Den Leader, sorta by default. Just in charge of skits and flag ceremonies when our den had to do them at pack meetings.

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Our den is really two dens, with Webelos and Wolf/bobcats. But we don't have leaders for both. Ours is the community pack, not associated with any Church. There is a strong Pack/Troop over at the LDS Church, but they would like us to do our own thing. Hopefully, we can find someone to do the pack stuff and keep our den going, or maybe split it and grow it if we can get leaders.

Brian Krashpad
February 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Our den is really two dens, with Webelos and Wolf/bobcats. But we don't have leaders for both. Ours is the community pack, not associated with any Church. There is a strong Pack/Troop over at the LDS Church, but they would like us to do our own thing. Hopefully, we can find someone to do the pack stuff and keep our den going, or maybe split it and grow it if we can get leaders.

We're lucky, our Pack has dual sponsorship, from Jack's elementary school, and from a Catholic church just a mile down the road from it. So some of the Cubs are members or related to the church, but most aren't.

Bloozcat
February 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Sounds like the law firm that you're working with in Maryland kind of dropped the ball on this one, Brian. Seems like they should have been on top of the progress of your appeal. But, what do I know....:confused:

Many moons ago when I was 21, I volunteered to help out with the Boy Scout Troop that my 11 year old brother had joined. Soon after, the assistant scoutmaster quit, and I was asked to be the assistant. Being too young and dumb to see what was going on there, I said yes. In just a few months, the Scoutmaster quit and I, still not having learned yet, agreed to be the Scoutmaster. I ended up being the youngest Scoutmaster in our District Council. It can sometimes be tough finding parents who are committed to their kids.

It always amazed me that parents could so easily shirk their responsibilities for their kids' development. Here I was at 21 with no kids of my own, teaching values to kids who were just a few years younger than me. I used to wonder why they even had kids, only to turn them over to someone else to teach them critical life lessons. I still wonder the same thing all these years later....

Brian Krashpad
February 22nd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Sounds like the law firm that you're working with in Maryland kind of dropped the ball on this one, Brian. Seems like they should have been on top of the progress of your appeal. But, what do I know....:confused:

You're probably right, especially since I told them on Feb. 8th that they needed to let me know immediately when the mandate came down. But they may've waited on receipt by mail instead of checking daily with the appellate court, which is what they should've done.

Many moons ago when I was 21, I volunteered to help out with the Boy Scout Troop that my 11 year old brother had joined. Soon after, the assistant scoutmaster quit, and I was asked to be the assistant. Being too young and dumb to see what was going on there, I said yes. In just a few months, the Scoutmaster quit and I, still not having learned yet, agreed to be the Scoutmaster. I ended up being the youngest Scoutmaster in our District Council. It can sometimes be tough finding parents who are committed to their kids.

It always amazed me that parents could so easily shirk their responsibilities for their kids' development. Here I was at 21 with no kids of my own, teaching values to kids who were just a few years younger than me. I used to wonder why they even had kids, only to turn them over to someone else to teach them critical life lessons. I still wonder the same thing all these years later....

It's probably worse nowadays with so many families with both parents working outside the home.

Remember when they had "Den Mothers" becuase it was assumed all the moms were housewives?