PDA

View Full Version : Versatile Telecaster

WannaTele
March 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
New to TheFret and could use some advice from folks experienced with the latest Teles.

First a little history: Had a circa '76 Tele Custom that I bought new back in the day. It was stolen by an evil rival garage band back in the early '80s and I never did replaced it. I've played an early 80's Strat and a Yamaha strat-knockoff since but didn't develop a love for either.

Now, like Dylan, I've got the itch to go electric (again). I play a range of blues, rock, and country and I loved the versatility of the Tele Custom due to the humbucker at the neck. It could even hang with the SGs when my metal-head buddies busted out the Sabbath -- which I don't think I would ask of a standard Tele (but I've also never tried...) The bridge pup was pure sparkling Tele, gotta have that.

So the questions is, how do I best get that versatility back based on the current offerings from Leo's boys? All my research has been on the web to date, haven't played any of these, but here are my thoughts on the axes that might fit the bill:

Aerodyne & '72 Tele Custom remake - possibilties, and look like they could be good values, but but I expect that the playability and component/build quality aren't up to the Amer and Amer Dlx standards.

American HS - digging the humbucker up front and the S-1 which is reported to create unlimited universes of tonal possibilities, probably much broader than my old Custom (althogh the dual volume/tone controls had a lot of range). Wish they offered it with rosewood like the HH since I have a strong preference for that. Why only maple here?

American Deluxe - also has the S-1 but, without the humbucker, it appears to only give one additional combination over the standard electronics (i.e. there are six switch settings, but only 4 unique tones, 3 of which are stock). Maybe one is enough? I like what I have read about the additional fret and nut work and also the SCN pickups. Also like the finishes on these.

Any advice/opinions on this? Anybody else have dreams of an American Deluxe HS?

warren0728
March 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
welcome wannatele...this is a great forum....i think you will like it here!

As for your tele....i played a bunch of them before i bought my mim standard tele...i wasn't looking for one with a humbucker so i can't help you there but my best suggestion is play a bunch and pick one that feels right for you.

Tim on this list has a squire tele special with humbuckers that sounds and plays real nice....i'm sure he will chime in.

ww

Bucks Owin
January 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
My advice? Get a Nashville Power Tele and be happy ever after!

Worked for me and I've owned a dozen Tele models over the years....(er, decades)

Dennis

Katastrophe
January 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Welcome!

Don't count out the Mexican Fenders! My MIM Strat is built like a tank and plays well... At $400.00, it's a great value. Right now, it's the only guitar I play, and my $1,000 ESP is getting mighty lonely. I played a '72 Deluxe at a GC last year and was floored with the quality and playability. The neck was phenominal.

Don't get me wrong, the American models are wonderful instruments and are certainly worth looking into, especially if you have the money. I'm more into "bang for the buck" guitars these days.

My advice, ignore where its from and pick the one that feels best for you... There's not a whole lot of distance between Corona, CA and Ensenada, Mexico, after all!:AOK: :D

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hmm, if I was looking, I might look at a MIM set up with the middle pup like Vood has and do his mod. That might be really sweet! That or a MIM with a splittable humbucker in the neck.
Welcome!

Don't count out the Mexican Fenders! My MIM Strat is built like a tank and plays well... At $400.00, it's a great value. Right now, it's the only guitar I play, and my $1,000 ESP is getting mighty lonely. I played a '72 Deluxe at a GC last year and was floored with the quality and playability. The neck was phenominal.

Don't get me wrong, the American models are wonderful instruments and are certainly worth looking into, especially if you have the money. I'm more into "bang for the buck" guitars these days.

My advice, ignore where its from and pick the one that feels best for you... There's not a whole lot of distance between Corona, CA and Ensenada, Mexico, after all!:AOK: :D

Bucks Owin
January 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Amen brother. FWIW, I've seen some fine attention to detail from the mexicans in Ensenada. Maybe they take more pride in their work than the mexicans in Corona?!?

At any rate, the MIM guitars are "better" than the CBS Fenders I used to own for whatever that's worth....

Viva le Mexico! (?!?)

Dennis