PDA

View Full Version : Getting more sustain....

pes_laul
February 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
A little bit ago I was plaing Baker Street on my guitar (ibanez) And I noticed that the notes weren't ringing that long, But then I plugged in my step dad's charvel model 88 with active electronics and played it and the would ring a long time than feed back. My question is how would I get more sustain through my Ibanez Would I need new pickups or something. my setup is A Boss DS-1 a DOD chorus pedal a DOD EQ (which I hardly ever use) and a crybaby played through my line 6 spider III 15.

Feedback appreciated
Thanks,
Kris-The-Young-Dude:rockon:

marnold
February 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
A couple of questions:
Do both guitars have whammy bars?
How old are your strings?

Plank_Spanker
February 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Active electronics can definitely add sustain - even you're just statically holding the fretted note.

With passive pickups (and particular guitars), it's not that simple. Changing up to hotter pickups isn't the magic bullet, either.

You need to work your fretting technique for more sustain. Hit a note solidly, and use subtle vibrato to keep the note ringing. It's not something that can be dissected into mechanics - it's a feel you get and develop that will be all your own.

Sorry if this this sounds like metaphysics.................it's really not.

pes_laul
February 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM
A couple of questions:
Do both guitars have whammy bars?
How old are your strings?
The charvel has a floyd rose and the ibanez has a ZR tremolo the strings on both are a little over a month old.

pes_laul
February 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Active electronics can definitely add sustain - even you're just statically holding the fretted note.

With passive pickups (and particular guitars), it's not that simple. Changing up to hotter pickups isn't the magic bullet, either.

You need to work your fretting technique for more sustain. Hit a note solidly, and use subtle vibrato to keep the note ringing. It's not something that can be dissected into mechanics - it's a feel you get and develop that will be all your own.

Sorry if this this sounds like metaphysics.................it's really not.
could another factor that the pickups on my ibanez are not raised very high?

Plank_Spanker
February 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Pickup height can make a big difference.