PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ever See Hendrix Live?

duhvoodooman
March 30th, 2006, 03:34 PM
We've talked a lot about some other famous axe-men here, but I haven't seen much about Hendrix. I wondered if any of you fellow old farts had ever seen him play live? I had that privelege at the Troy Armory in Troy, NY on April 19, 1968. He appeared with a rather obscure English band called the Soft Machine. Unfortunately, I had an atrocious seat, way near the back of the auditorium, and the acoustics were pretty rotten, too. But it was still quite an "experience". I remember that for Red House, the longest tune of the night, he switched from a Strat to a Les Paul. He also played with his teeth and behind his head--flashy stuff that he generally stayed away from later in his all-too-short career. The material was mostly the classic tunes off of Are You Experienced?, but as I recall, he did a couple of things from Axis: Bold As Love, which had only been out a couple of months at the time.

So I wish I'd have been able to see and hear better at the show, but at least I got to see him once. Anybody else here have that chance? If so, share your "Hendrix experience"!

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM
OH MAN!! I would've loved to see Big J live!!
He's just one of my faves, and high on my list mind you!
I love how when he played with(opened for) Clapton, the first time, when he was starting, Clapton told his manager(Jimi's too) to get hime off the stage or he wasn't playing, 'cause the crowd was going wild over Jimi!

That must've been an awesome felling for Jimi.
I wish he was still around, amungst others, could you imagine the type and styles of music that would be here today?!!!
HELL! Could you imagine some of the stuff SRV would've did??!!! WOOT!!!

R.I.P. Jimi, SRV, Bonham,,,etc

duhvoodooman
April 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I remember that for Red House, the longest tune of the night, he switched from a Strat to a Les Paul.
Came across this photo on a website and grabbed a copy. Rare pic of Hendrix playing a Les Paul....

Spudman
April 17th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Oh my God! You saw Soft Machine? That was Alan Holdsworth's band. Wow!

duhvoodooman
April 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Oh my God! You saw Soft Machine? That was Alan Holdsworth's band. Wow!
Yes, but it was considerably before Holdsworth joined the band. I saw the original line-up, which was a trio, and found the music very strange to my innocent and unsophisticated sensibilities! Holdsworth didn't join up until the mid-70's, I believe.

Nelskie
April 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Came across this photo on a website and grabbed a copy. Rare pic of Hendrix playing a Les Paul....
Rare indeed. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of him playing anything but a Stratocaster. Cool stuff Voodoo. :cool:

blogan
April 18th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Rare indeed. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of him playing anything but a Stratocaster. Cool stuff Voodoo. :cool:
Google images is an awesome tool. I searched for "Hendrix Les Paul" and found some pictures of Jimi playing an SG. http://www.everythingsg.com/celebrities.htm.