PDA

View Full Version : When Music and the Moment Become One

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
I guess this is as good of a place to post as any.

I was driving into work this morning and we had a blanket of about 4" of snow. I had to pull over on the side of the road to get my glasses out of my briefcase and make a call. Where I stopped was a golf course with small rolling hills and flowing streams. Everything was covered in white and looked as pristine as can be with the exception of a set of footprints going in one direction into a wooded area off in the distance.

Before I could dial, the snow flakes caught my attention - large fluffy flakes that were falling gently to the ground and were separated from each other by approximately 12"

Playing on the CD player was Let It Be - Nake The song was The Long and Winding Road. It was about 15 minutes before I came out of a trance. The moment just took me into another world. I was able to hear every sound on the CD and I was so focused on the golf course, almost using my eyes to move towards the woods with every footprint the person left behind.

It was one of the most peaceful moments I've had in a very, very long time.

Rockette
February 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Psilocybin will do that to you.

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
that's a great cd... but what is this snow thing you speak of....it was 84 degrees here today....

ww

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Strum, falling snow brings peace to me in many ways. Looking at the individual flakes against a dark sleeve, watching groups of flakes fall, how the landscape cleans up and softens, and how sounds soften during a good snow. I am glad you had that moment.

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Very cool Strum, it has been a long time since I had one of those moments.

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Psilocybin will do that to you.

They said they were fried mushrooms. I guess I should have been suspicious when they were selling them out of their car.

Pike
February 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
I guess this is as good of a place to post as any.

I was driving into work this morning and we had a blanket of about 4" of snow. I had to pull over on the side of the road to get my glasses out of my briefcase and make a call. Where I stopped was a golf course with small rolling hills and flowing streams. Everything was covered in white and looked as pristine as can be with the exception of a set of footprints going in one direction into a wooded area off in the distance.

Before I could dial, the snow flakes caught my attention - large fluffy flakes that were falling gently to the ground and were separated from each other by approximately 12"

Playing on the CD player was Let It Be - Nake The song was The Long and Winding Road. It was about 15 minutes before I came out of a trance. The moment just took me into another world. I was able to hear every sound on the CD and I was so focused on the golf course, almost using my eyes to move towards the woods with every footprint the person left behind.

It was one of the most peaceful moments I've had in a very, very long time.Nice Strum. Good thing to hear at the end a long week.

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
The Moment

COMsKPeWAsw

67J_66hdN-I

bbirjVeI_Pk

Tone2TheBone
February 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
:) Yeah great moments strum (the vids) Surrealism happens...oh yes it does. Several times a day at least.

Tone2TheBone
February 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
Strum, falling snow brings peace to me in many ways. Looking at the individual flakes against a dark sleeve, watching groups of flakes fall, how the landscape cleans up and softens, and how sounds soften during a good snow. I am glad you had that moment.

Also gotta comment on this. One of the best things that happens to me on this planet is when I am walking through a grove of trees after a night's snowfall on the morning after and my senses catch the cold morning air as the morning sun shines through the canopy of trees and a breeze whips through enough to blow off a dusting of frost and snow into my face. At moments like those I feel the most alive and happy.

oldguy
February 23rd, 2008, 01:50 AM
Strum, sometimes I think you can read my mind.....what's left of it, anyway.:rotflmao:

This happens to me on occasion... not as often as I'd like......but it happens.
Sometimes the season and the event happen....well, they just happen.

Check this out if you want, it happened way back then....Justa'guy had been posting some nice stuff, it was near Christmas, I was wishing for some snow, and 'y'know what?? ... it snowed. So I sat down and played.:)

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2082

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
This happens to me on occasion... not as often as I'd like......but it happens.
Sometimes the season and the event happen....well, they just happen.

OG, It is a great feeling, but maybe if they happen too often they wouldn't be as special. All I know is when they do happen it is a dose of organic medicine.

That feeling and the feeling of being in "the zone" when playing guitar are a couple of life's joys.

oldguy
February 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
OG, It is a great feeling, but maybe if they happen too often they wouldn't be as special. All I know is when they do happen it is a dose of organic medicine.

Agreed. Another time that happened, we'd went to cut firewood early in the morning. We walked up to a large creek which was about 10 feet below us in a ravine. The sun had just gotten high enough to shine into it, and everything was covered in either frost, ice,or snow, with bright sunlight illuminating it all. We all stopped and stared, no-one spoke, it was surreal, and there were maybe half a dozen bright red cardinals flitting from branch to branch, singing.

Jimi75
February 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Last time I had that was a rainy night, I was driving with my car through the empty streets and the rain was flooding really. Then they played "Stairway to heaven" by Zeppelin. When the song was over I only realized that I was in a completely different place when the song was playing.