PDA

View Full Version : Mind if I whine a little?

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I found out a few weeks ago that I have a herniated disc. I have an appointment on March 3 with a neurosurgeon, and I'm hopeful that surgery can be avoided. I went through CB's back surgery with her six years ago, and she swears that if she had to do it over again, she wouldn't.

What's frustrating is how much this limits me. The weekends have always been the time for me to take care of chores and things that need to be done around the house. You know, mow the lawn, wash the cars, fix all the stuff that breaks down around the house. But now it seems like the slightest bit of physical exertion sets me off.

One of the things on my list for this weekend was to drain the hot tub and clean it. When I got home, all I did was unwrap the garden hose and hook it up to drain. Now my back is screaming like a friggin' banshee. This is very frustrating for someone who is used to doing things himself.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. Whine over.

Rockette
February 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
A scalpel will never fix a back. I have 3 friends that have all had back surgery--same story--only worse.

mrmudcat
February 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yea my mom just had 3 verts fused together over the summer . She is worse if that is possible and still suffers greatly:(

oldguy
February 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Really sorry to hear that, Shiner. I have only known 1 person helped with surgery, and he was run over by a car and spent 6 mos. in a full body cast before the operation...... he's better, but not great.
I hope you can find another way to improve your back...... I'm not a fan of surgery, either. Maybe some of the others here will have some suggestions.......

can anybody chime in here and help???

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I agree Rockette and Mud. I understand there will have to be lifestyle changes, and I'm willing to do that to avoid the knife. Plus, I just don't trust doctors. Every time I go to the doctor they find something wrong.

Another issue, I know we have a lot of self-employed people on the Fret, y'all will understand, down time means I ain't bringing in clients. No clients, no money, bills don't get paid.

I know there have been a lot of advances in the field since CB had her surgery. And I hope there are alternative treatments. I plan on trying every last one of them until I find something that helps.

But it's still frustrating to think that I may never be able to do certain things that I enjoy again (and I wouldn't be able to do them even if I had surgery).

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Oldguy, that puts a little perspective on things. It has been a little embarrassing walking with a cane the last few weeks (I can't feel my foot and that's caused some balance problems). But it's a helluva lot better than spending six months in a body cast.

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
I found out a few weeks ago that I have a herniated disc. I have an appointment on March 3 with a neurosurgeon, and I'm hopeful that surgery can be avoided.:poke: Shiner, find the best physiotherapist you can... keep away from the men with knives!
I found a brilliant Physio AFTER I'd had the knife job... if only I knew then what I know now.

Katastrophe
February 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Have you looked into a chiropractor? They can do some amazing things to fix a back without surgery.

Hope you heal up soon, man.

ted s
February 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
How about a chiropractor Shiner ?

warren0728
February 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Another issue, I know we have a lot of self-employed people on the Fret, y'all will understand, down time means I ain't bringing in clients. No clients, no money, bills don't get paid.
absolutely....i dislocated my elbow....my billables went down considerably for a couple of months....try to not go under the knife....all though with my mom...it did help...guess it depends on the specific condition...

ww

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Shiner,

You and I have discussed this and as I said before, back problems are some of the worse health issues when it comes to trying to remain active. I really hope you find relief because I might start feeling sorry for you and not poke fun anymore:poke:

Now with OG's friend in mind, I do own four cars:D

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Kat, Ted, I've never been to a Chiropractor because I worked for a personal injury lawyer in law school, and I've always had a bad feeling about them. The guy I worked for would send me to hospitals to sign people up, then send them to a Chiropractor who would "automagically" declare them healed when the insurance ran out. I had to take a lot of showers to get over that.

HOWEVER, I am willing to try one as a last resort.

The only treatment I've had so far was a week of steroids and muscle relaxers, which have helped TREMENDOUSLY. The pain is very manageable now, and it wasn't at first. I stopped taking the muscle relaxers when the steroid prescription ran out because they made it hard to concentrate and do my job.

I haven't seen a physical therapist yet Cal, but from what I've read, that should be the first thing the doc tries. If he doesn't, I'll be looking for another doc.

NOW, not to be all doom and gloom, the good news is . . . all of my guitars are light!:)

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
NOW, not to be all doom and gloom, the good news is . . . all of my guitars are light!:)

:bravo: :bravo: :rockon: :bravo: :bravo:

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
I knew you'd catch that one Warren. That's the same reason it's so hard to take time off for vacation. You lose clients.

I really hope you find relief because I might start feeling sorry for you and not poke fun anymore:poke:

I don't believe this crap for a minute strummy.:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You and I will be emailing each other on our death bed trying to see who gets the last jab in.:poke:

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have done PI work on both the plaintiff and defense side. Not nearly all chiros are that way. My wife is one, and she does very well without being a PI shop. She is not pushy, and if does not work for a given person, she will not push it. Doesn't hurt to find a good referral to a conservative one. On the other hand, I have had clients (more than one) go through back surgeries, and I can say you want to avoid getting cut as long as you can. Here's to your feeling better!

Kat, Ted, I've never been to a Chiropractor because I worked for a personal injury lawyer in law school, and I've always had a bad feeling about them. The guy I worked for would send me to hospitals to sign people up, then send them to a Chiropractor who would "automagically" declare them healed when the insurance ran out. I had to take a lot of showers to get over that.

HOWEVER, I am willing to try one as a last resort.

The only treatment I've had so far was a week of steroids and muscle relaxers, which have helped TREMENDOUSLY. The pain is very manageable now, and it wasn't at first. I stopped taking the muscle relaxers when the steroid prescription ran out because they made it hard to concentrate and do my job.

I haven't seen a physical therapist yet Cal, but from what I've read, that should be the first thing the doc tries. If he doesn't, I'll be looking for another doc.

just strum
February 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
You and I will be emailing each other on our death bed trying to see who gets the last jab in.:poke:

Cool, that means we have a good 60 to 70 years to take jabs at each other:AOK:

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Sorry Steve, I didn't mean that to sound the way it came off. I will try a chiropractor before I consider going under the knife. Just like every profession (including ours), I guess there are good ones and bad ones.

Cal
February 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I haven't seen a physical therapist yet Cal, but from what I've read, that should be the first thing the doc tries. If he doesn't, I'll be looking for another doc.Shiner, I don't know what it's like in the US but in the UK most doctors only understand drugs and knives.
Here, if they ever do refer you to a physio he/she is UNLIKELY to be an expert. The one I use I found out about by fortunate accident, and have used his services a couple of times to wonderful effect. He has a tiny clinic... but clients worldwide!

marnold
February 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Whatever you do, don't do nothing. My grandfather, being a stubborn German, did nothing about his back problems for far too long. Eventually he had surgery which turned out well, but by that point the damage was done to his hip so he had to have that replaced. An ounce of prevention . . .

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
I appreciate all the imput y'all. Everything you suggest is one more thing for me to consider.

Cal, I have this great idea:dude: :rockon: :beer: . I'll get my doc to write a script for your physio, then I can write off the trip. You'll have to meet me at the airport and carry all my guitars, luggage, cameras, you know . . . cause I'm infirm. Then we'll jam brother!:bravo:

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry Steve, I didn't mean that to sound the way it came off. I will try a chiropractor before I consider going under the knife. Just like every profession (including ours), I guess there are good ones and bad ones.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I was not offended. I just did not want you to overlook a possible solution because some bad experience when I have seen good results with good practitioners. No magic pill or wonder cure, mind you, but it doesn't hurt to check it out, and can be part of a more conservative, less invasive solution. Get some good referrals, check their schooling (Palmer, and Palmer West are good schools and philosophies), and kick some tires. :)

PAPPY
February 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Shiner, you know I can relate to your problem so let me say, be very careful about seeking treatment from a chiropractor. I do think a visit to Physical Theropy might make a big difference for you but understand a chiropractor treats misplace bones and a herinated disc is not really a bone but the cushion between the bones being out of place. Talk to your Dr. about those shots I was telling you about. My brother in law had the shots years ago and he went from not being able to walk to back to his normal self and been that way every since. The shots didn't work for me but they might for you. At least ask Dr. about the possibilities. Physical Theropy works through heat and excercise and has helped me some when things get unbearable.

strumsalot
February 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hey brother, I'm sorry to hear that. I think once you have a back injury, it's never gonna be 100%. But on a positive note, I work with a neurosurgeon who has a really good success rate. I think though that surgery should always be the last option. I would go with physiotherapy first. Be patient, backs take a long time to heal. Don't do to much to soon.

luvmyshiner
February 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks Pappy, Chad and Steve. Honestly I feel a lot better than I did two weeks ago. I just have to learn to be careful.

Y'all probably noticed CB's not here tonight. She went down south to visit her "leather pants grammers" (her 80+ grandmother who bought her first leather pants . . . I'll let her tell that story). I always tend to be a little "self-indulgent" when she's gone. Things will be better tomorrow.:bravo:

piebaldpython
February 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your back there Shiner. You ought to look up people who specialize in Chinese Internal Arts, both accupressure/accupuncture and the moving arts such as Chi Kung, Tai Chi and BaGua. If memory serves, Dr. John Painter (also a Texas Ranger) is down in your neck of the woods and may be able to help you. Arlington I think!!! I have used Chi Kung techniques to get over acute colitis and some of those techniques are good for the spine too. Makes you more limber, etc. etc. CHIROS are good too, so don't write them off either.

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Shiner, I have nothing advice-wise, but I do offer a whole lot of sympathy.

Maybe it's Strummy's doing :poke: !

Cal
February 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
You'll have to meet me at the airport and carry all my guitars, luggage, cameras, you know . . . cause I'm infirm. Then we'll jam brother!:bravo:Sounds cool Shiner! ;)

luvmyshiner
February 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Tot, I'm not sure how, but I'm almost positive it's Strummy's fault!:D

tunghaichuan
February 23rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Ditto on the acupuncture. I've had chronic problems, and acupuncture and Chinese herbal thereapy have helped me a great deal over the years. The trick is to find someone who is really good. There are lots of acupuncturists out there, and only a few are very good. The better ones will practice pulse diagnosis, which is a Chinese medicine technique for determining what is wrong through reading the blood pulse.

HTH,

tung

Sorry to hear about your back there Shiner. You ought to look up people who specialize in Chinese Internal Arts, both accupressure/accupuncture and the moving arts such as Chi Kung, Tai Chi and BaGua. If memory serves, Dr. John Painter (also a Texas Ranger) is down in your neck of the woods and may be able to help you. Arlington I think!!! I have used Chi Kung techniques to get over acute colitis and some of those techniques are good for the spine too. Makes you more limber, etc. etc. CHIROS are good too, so don't write them off either.

luvmyshiner
February 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Please allow me to whine a little more. This is the kind of stuff that gets to me. My AV amph has been going out for awhile, so I finally ordered a new one from J&R Music World. A Harman Kardon. But I can't pull out the great wall of testosterone to install it because of my back. I have to wait till my son comes back down. When I was in college I would have stayed up all night to get it hooked up. Ain't gettin' old a b**ch??:(

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P2260003.jpg

Algonquin
February 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Ain't gettin' old a b**ch??:(
I don't know... I think it beats the heck out of the alternative!

Sorry to hear the back is still on the mend.
:beer:

luvmyshiner
February 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Good point Algonquin. The back is actually feeling much better, I just have to be careful not to aggravate things. I have the appointment with the doc on Monday so we'll see what he thinks. In the meantime the lawn really needs to be mowed, so I'm thinking it's time to buy a couple of goats.

just strum
February 26th, 2008, 09:16 PM
In the meantime the lawn really needs to be mowed, so I'm thinking it's time to buy a couple of goats.

That or your son has more than the stereo to take care of on his next visit. Just tell him it's the house with the tip of the roof sticking out over the grass.

luvmyshiner
February 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
That or your son has more than the stereo to take care of on his next visit. Just tell him it's the house with the tip of the roof sticking out over the grass.

Um, that would be "weeds", not grass. And I'm not holding my breath on talking him into any manual labor.:reallymad:

wingsdad
February 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Yo, Shiner...take it easy, will ya? ;) And I hope you can find an effective alternative without going under the knife, amigo :)

luvmyshiner
February 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks Wingsdad. I'm very optimistic that we'll avoid the knife.

wingsdad
February 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Make sure, if you haven't already got one, to pick up one of those back brace belt things, if for nothing else, to ease the strain of hoisting those Shiner Bocks...:rotflmao: