PDA

View Full Version : Check out THE STEELDRIVERS

street music
February 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
If you want to hear one of the best new sounds in a class of it's own because it isn't really country -bluegrass -or blues , but a mix of all visit the CMT pages of THE STEELDRIVERS, this groups of great artist have really got a great sound with Chris Stapleton as their lead vocals.
I can't wait to see them live . Check them out and give me your thoughts on them. I have booked them for our festival in October.

Spudman
February 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Links?

street music
February 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/steel_drivers/artist.jhtml

Sorry about that, I forgot to do add that.

mrmudcat
February 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Im all over that ........................:beer:

merlin
February 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Streetmusic,
You are not going to believe this. I saw the Steeldrivers last night at the Station Inn. They are awesome. I was just having a conversation with a friend of mine that was there last night. We are trying to figure out why that lead singer is not big time. He is an amazing song writer and a voice that will blow you away. They are good.

On a side note, I sat next to Ronnie Bowman last night and I was able to get in his ear about song writing . Good stuff.

street music
February 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Merlin, The lead singer is Chris Stapleton, he went to school with my son and has 2 number songs that one was recorded by Josh Turner and another by Kenney Chesney. Chris is amazing and has a younger sister in school here that is just fantastic that has performed 3 years in a roll at our festival. It must be nice to get to hit those clubs anytime you want to. You should check out Chris's myspace page, he has more songs just waiting to hit the top and he can rock with the best of them.

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
I'm listening right now street.

Pretty d@mned good so far!

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I jes' gotta say thanks Street.

I *love* that sh!t!

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Street,

I like it. It's not something I would normally dial up on the radio until now. That's the nice thing about playing an instrument, you begin to appreciate music you may never have previously paid attention to.

Thanks Street.

merlin
February 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hey Street, I still can not get over you making this thread the day after I saw them Live. What irony.
Here is a clip of them at the Station Inn. This is not from Fridays show.

PsI0brwSCf4

street music
February 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Merlin, thanks so much for posting the video. I'm very excited for The Steeldrivers and Chris's hard work is finally paying off for his vocal talents. I wanted to try and make Fan Fest but the prices are so high this year, I'm having second thoughts.

merlin
February 25th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Streets,
I have lived here all of my life (short stop in KY) and I have never been to Fan Fest. I think it is way too commercial and there is nothing new in country that I care to see.

This genre of "old time music" , "jam grass", or "hippie grass" is what I have been looking for. I have finally found new music that I am really into.

How is your festival coming? What does your lineup look like?
I have a list of other bands that I think I might start a new thread on.

magoo
February 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Now this is my kinda music..The STEELDRIVERS...now thats how its done.

street music
February 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Magoo glad to like them.
Merlin, I guess that I'm still very open the country music, I'm not a huge fan of some big top artist but stick more to the upbeat modern country with some of the groups. The industry has become so political and many great ones never get a chance to be recorded.
I'm working on this years lineup right now and hope to be able to list more of them next month. It will be good, that I promise. All our shows are on the street free for all to take part in. I really enjoy getting new young acts on stage and several have really made great strides from getting a start on our stage. I will keep you filled in on the list.

merlin
March 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Tonight The Steeldrivers will be on a show called "Woodsongs old time radio hour".
This is a radio show and a show on PBS. They also have a webcast. I am going to try my best to get the webcast to work tonight.
Here is the link http://www.woodsongs.com/wotrh.html
The show starts at 6:45 EST.

street music
March 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Merlin,
That is folk singer MIchael Johnathon's radio show , he is a great guy that I got to sing for us a couple of years ago. Sorry , I missed that post till now.
The SteelDrivers are getting great reviews and lots of tour dates, I think they are going to do well.

merlin
March 18th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Streets,
I use to watch woodsongs all the time on PBS. It does not air here anymore. I could not get their webcast to work last night. But they do have a list of radio stations that replay the show during the week.
They list the radio stations websites and most of them have it so that you can listen to the station. I am going to listen to the show that way sometime this week.
Here is the link to the stations http://www.woodsongs.com/affiliates.htm

p.s. the Steeldrivers are going to play at the Station Inn here in Nashville in a couple weeks on the 29th. If anybody is looking for something to do, I highly recommend going.

Kilar
March 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
excellent catch there, these guys rock...

merlin
March 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
They have uploaded the Steeldrivers show on the Woodsongs website.
Here is the link http://www.woodsongs.com/showlist.asp
Just go to show 476 and click on the windows video and enjoy.

@ 8:00 they play "Drinking Dark Whiskey"
@ 15:00 they play "Midnight train to Memphis"
@35:00 "Blue side of the Mt." (one of my favorites)
@44:30 "Heaven sent" (another one of my favorites)
and then after a long break
@ 1:19:00 they play "If it hadn't been for love"

I hope this works.

merlin
March 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
The Steeldrivers will be on the Opry tonight and at the Station Inn tomorrow night.
If your near Nashville I recommend going to the station Inn tomorrow night. It is a good time.
I am going for sure.
Here is another clip of them
yrLYDcIMT7w

street music
March 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Merlin, If you get to talk with Chris tomorrow night tell him that Nathan is really excited about them coming home for The Kentucky Apple Festival in October. We are going to try and get down to either the Opry or Station Inn soon to catch them in a show. ENJOY THE SHOW!

peachhead
March 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I just got around to watching that clip. Man, they rock (you know what I mean)!! :bravo: I'll be on the lookout if they ever get down to GA.

merlin
March 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Streets,
I did get a chance to talk to Chris. I passed along your message, but he was getting pulled in 9 different directions when I was talking to him so he didnt get to say much.

The show was amazing. Chris's vocals are almost unreal.

They have a new song about a old man that I think is called "where rainbows never dies". It is a great song!

They play there again sometime in the first of May.

street music
March 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM
They have a showing coming up in June just a hour from me that is part of a BLUEGRASS JAM week , I can't wait to get to see them in person with the new songs. I see that they are ging to be on the Grand Ole Opry again too.
It has to be nice to get to see shows every night of the week.:bravo:

merlin
April 3rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
here's another beautiful song.
great lyrics about a civil war battle from an old trees perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt-A0PmxMgk&feature=related

t_ross33
April 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Man, I'm diggin' this :bravo: Fits in nicely with the internet radio station I was listening to all morning, Boot Liquor Radio (on Shoutcast) :beer:

Kinda of an Allman Bros. meets Bill Monroe vibe, eh? I'll definately have to keep and eye/ear out for them if they ever swing up our way. They'd go over great here :greenguitar::canada:

Trev

t_ross33
May 4th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Caught them last night on CMT. Pretty cool. Even did a number with Charlie Daniels!

Also a good article in American Songwriter as one of 8 bands to watch in 2008!

:beer:

street music
May 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yes Chris Stapleton and the crew are doing very well, getting lots of gigs and puttin on a great show.

merlin
May 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I saw them again last night at the Station Inn. They were fired up about their Opry performance earlier in the night. They put on the best show I have seen them do.

street music
May 5th, 2008, 04:35 AM
The Steeldrivers were televised last night on The Grand Ole Opry, Charlie Daniels did a song with them too. Things are really moving right along with them.

merlin
May 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I thought I would post their Myspace.
They have the song "You put the hurt on me" live from the station inn on there and other good stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/thesteeldrivers

merlin
June 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Well, I am going to see them again tonight at the Station Inn. If your near Nashville I would highly recommend going.
I almost decided to go see Pearl Jam at Bonnaroo, but I don't want to fight the crowd.

merlin
July 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The Steeldrivers are going to be on Conan O'Brien Friday night.
I thought this was pretty cool.

street music
July 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Merlin,
I just saw your post, I caught them on the Opry again, I just love to listen to that blues voice of Chris and I'm so excited about him coming home for the big free show in October. You should hear his sister sing, she has a very special voice too.

merlin
July 24th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Streets,
you missed a great performance of "Blue side of the Mt."
I thought Chris put a little extra into this performance.
you can see it here
http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/video/episodes.shtml
it is the full episode, but you can jump forward to their song. you will need to click on the July 18th show.

street music
July 27th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Merlin,

Thanks man for the link, that was a great performance for them. I think they are really on top of the charts right now and I think a lot of people are missing out on great music just because they are on a Bluegrass label.

On another thought Merlin, check out the post I made in here BACK THAT THING UP! Be sure you catch Justin Moore in Nashville, tell him that Nathan in Kentucky sent you. Justin and his wife went to our local MOUNTAIN ARTS CENTER last night and saw where so much of the talent in our area is playing and how east Kentucky is a hotbed for new upcoming artist. I just wish that I was talented as our young people are.

merlin
August 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Someone finally posted my favorite new song of theirs called "Rainbows never die". This is an amazing song. I wish I could right a tune half as good as this. I can not wait for the next album.
NZ45c4qWeqs

street music
August 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks Merlin, I hadn't heard that one yet. Man They are nominated for the three huge IBMA awards .