PDA

View Full Version : Digitech RP series question

piebaldpython
February 22nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Some modellers (Korg, Line 6, V-amp 2) have amp/cab models and FX (trem, rotary, wah, chorus, flange, etc) but they don't have much in the way of distortion. I noticed the Digitech RP series does. So, you RP users, are the distortion models on the RP's any good?? Passable?? Lousy???

oldguy
February 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
The amp models have adjustable gain. Combined with the OD/distortion pedal models, they are very usable. Add in the compressor/gate function, and you can make the RP-250 (the one I own) sound good. After A/B'ing it for a month with my POD 2.0, I got rid of the POD.

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
I've got an RP80 which I use for playing at my desk, through the computer - and the more substantial RP3 which I play through a Marshall power amp, Alesis Quadraverb 2 and an 8x12 stack. Neither will produce a tube sound but both are very useable.

When I play electric I almost always prefer heavy distortion, kind of that looooong sustain, 80's metal buzz with that "thump" in the palm muted notes. Both units satisfy that requirement, at least for playing at home.

For years and years my main processors were ADA's MP1 and later the MP2 (holy grail of heavy metal tube-preamps) but when the MP2 started crapping out I grabbed the RP3 as a (relatively) cheap and quick substitute. That was around four years ago and I still haven't gotten the MP2 fixed. I do still plan to but the RP's make it much less of a priority.

Here's a very short clip of the RP80 through the computer: http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/Music%20Instruction/?action=view&current=121.flv
You can't really tell much by it but it's the only thing I have handy.

Kazz
February 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Dread....was that on a preset or a custom patch....and if custom can you share the settings here?

I have had the RP80 for 2 years and I am giving it to my son next weekend when he comes to visit. I personally have only found about 3 usable sounds out of the thing....Preset 6, 19 and I think 27 or 28 the rest is noise to my ears.

Now I do hear great things out of the RP250 with the artist modeling features....the Eddie Van Halen model with a little added flanger sounds really cool through EMG actives on a Les Paul clone.

marnold
February 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I've got an EX-7 which is a kissing cousin of the RP series. I think I prefer my TO800 to the TS-9 model on my EX-7 if I'm using that model alone. If I'm also using a wah or something, the TS-9 model seems to blend better. Not sure why.

I've used the Big Muff and Boss Metal Zone models. Both sound pretty much like the real deal to me, but I've never A/B'd them. The Big Muff can give me that Iommi tone in no time flat.

Justaguyin_nc
February 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
I really enjoy hearing Oldguy with his RP250..nice sounds!

I have the Marnold EX-7 (:)) and the more I mess with this thing the more I like it..
There is something about blending that ts-9...
thanks for pointing out this pedal once again Marnold..:dude:

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Kazz - My RP80 is the one that I won in Rockets puzzle contest. When it got here I just took it out of the box and plugged it in (didn't read any instructions or even try to make my own pre-sets, I don't know if he made up any pre-sets or even which bank of presets is factory vs. user. It's #58 on that clip though.

Another nice thing about the RP80 (and probably other RP's) is the built in drum machine. Not a million options or beats but real handy for jammin'.

Dreadman
February 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I've used the Big Muff and Boss Metal Zone models. Two great pedals. Anyone have any idea if the new Big Muff Pi's are different from the originals? The only one I've tried (back in the 80's) was made in the 70's and it made some great sounds.

Spudman
February 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have the Marnold EX-7 (:)) and the more I mess with this thing the more I like it..

Me too. I'm really liking the Rotovibe sound and the Leslie. I use an outside source for dirt.

warren0728
March 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
The amp models have adjustable gain. Combined with the OD/distortion pedal models, they are very usable. Add in the compressor/gate function, and you can make the RP-250 (the one I own) sound good. After A/B'ing it for a month with my POD 2.0, I got rid of the POD.
i just got the rp-250 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-RP250-Modeling-Guitar-Processor-103952149-i1168302.gc).....haven't had time to mess with it yet....gonna go get an auxiliary cord today so i can plug my ipod into it with backing tracks on it....that was one of the main reasons i chose the rp-250....the auxiliary in....i also like that you control settings with knobs and not pressing buttons to go through a bunch of menus...it certainly has lots of features and i'm sure it will take me a long time to get it all figured out but i think for playing with headphones and for use between my guitar and my mac (with built in usb) for recording it is just the ticket.

ww

Kazz
March 13th, 2008, 04:19 AM
i think for playing with headphones and for use between my guitar and my mac (with built in usb) for recording it is just the ticket.

ww

Not only does he flip pancakes naked.....but he is a mac user too....thats 2 strikes.....