PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Classic 20 Tube Amp

warren0728
March 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Anybody had any experience with this amp? I know it is a 15 watt all tube amp with a 10' Speaker.

I stopped buy a local pawn shop today just for grins and they have one that si in like new condition for only $115 bucks. The tweed covering is perfect and i didn't see any scuff or wear marks.

I have not played it but might take the tele up there tomorrow to check it out. Thinking about trading my vox ad30vt for it or just buy it outright. I really don't need three amps and i find myself playing the valve jr with the bad monkey more than the vox.

thoughts, opinions, etc.?

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 30th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Warren - it's going to be GONE when you go back tomorrow. Tweed...tubes...$115...it's a goner. ;)

ps - don't trade in your Vox the Classic 20 amp is cheap!

Robert
March 30th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I had one of those. It was a nice clean tone, but I didn't like the amp distortion from it. The Classic 30 is MUCH better sounding. I'd definitely keep the Vox if I were you.

duhvoodooman
March 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Thinking about trading my vox ad30vt for it or just buy it outright. I really don't need three amps and i find myself playing the valve jr with the bad monkey more than the vox.

thoughts, opinions, etc.?
Yep, I have a thought--DON'T TRADE IN THE VOX!! Seriously, Warren, that little marvel of an amp offers you such a variety of tones & sounds from the models and effects, I think you'd find yourself regretting the decision down the road. For $115, why not just add that 3rd amp? You can always cut back on beer a bit for the next couple of months and make up the difference! :D

And if you really do need to limit yourself to two amps, I would think the Valve Jr. would be the more "redundant" one, after buying the Peavey.

P.S. T2TB makes a good point. If that pawn shop is open evenings, I might just hop in the car after supper, if it was me....

warren0728
March 30th, 2006, 04:49 PM
it will still be there (i think).....i was ther around 5:15 and they close at 6. It is a tiny independant pawn shop in an out of the way location. I figured i could trade the vox and have some money coming back to me for another pedal or something....i really don't play the vox much anymore.

I wonder how it will compare to my valve jr. (which i love). I have read reviews on hc and everyone seems to like it.

I like the looks too....that tweed is sweet!

OK maybe i keep the vox (and just buy the peavy) Just read the 2 posts saying to keep it :D ....i don't think i have given it a fair chance.

ww

Robert
March 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Keep the Vox man! Or else I have to make pancakes the "Warren-way" in protest!

warren0728
March 30th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Or else I have to make pancakes the "Warren-way" in protest!
don't do it man...its addictive...but it will set you free!

ww

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Warren - it's going to be GONE when you go back tomorrow. Tweed...tubes...$115...it's a goner. ;)

ps - don't trade in your Vox the Classic 20 amp is cheap!

I agree 100% !!!

Katastrophe
March 30th, 2006, 06:36 PM
KEEP THE VOX, MAN! I don't own one, but I can tell ya from past mistakes that if there's anything you love about that amp, you'll regret getting rid of it. Case in point: When my rack system went to hell, I went ahead and sold the Marshall cabinet that I had so that I could downsize. BIG MISTAKE! I regretted getting rid of it the moment I sold it, and have never had enough money to get another since.:(

ZoSo65
March 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Tell 'ya what.
What I've been see'in of Peavey lately has really been pretty awesome!
To be honest with you, what I've seen in the last few years, was Peavey going down the "bells and whistle" road and quality going south, until recently.
I have an old Audition 110 from Peavey and the new(last few years?) one they have out is no where near a close comparison. I was shocked when I went to buy my wifes kid one of the "new" audition series amps two years ago! He blew it within a year! Not like the one I know!

Anyhoo,,just my 2 cents :D

Spudman
March 30th, 2006, 07:28 PM
If you look at my signature you will see that I own a Classic 20. For the price you mentioned GET IT!!!!! This amp on its own is pretty good. Plugged into a 4x12 cabinet it's great! They keep going up in price, are considered collectible and is Beck's (not Jeff) favorite amp.
The right tubes in the amp will make a huge difference just don't ask me which tubes because I don't know yet.

Spudman
March 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Warren, what's the number to that shop?

warren0728
March 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hey Warren, what's the number to that shop?
i don't think they have a phone :D

they are closed anyway....but i'll be there tomorrow first thing...now i have to decide whether to keep the valve jr. or not!

ww

Spudman
March 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
They will sound different. Keep them both. Neither will depreciate. Put one in a box with some desiccant and stick it under the bed for a grand child to find after you are gone and go "wow" cool amp!

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 08:43 AM
You can always stick the Valve Jr. on one of your mustard colored walls I bet it would look lovely up there. What with the burgundy color of the Jr. contrasting nicely with the background... :)

r_a_smith3530
March 31st, 2006, 09:07 AM
It's a Peavey. It's a Classic. Buy it! Seriously, for some odd reason, the Classic 20 was discontinued (along with another great, the Classic 400) far too soon, and today it is considered a collector's item. Me, I would have been waiting at the door for them to open at that price (BTW, it is a pawn shop, go for $100 straight up!). If you check out the Guitar Amp Forum over at Peavey dot com, you'll soon discover that it is one of the favored amps by many of the group's senior members. I have this amp's big brother (Classic 50/410), and I mostly play bass now, but I would jump on one of these little babies in a heartbeat if I found it at that price. My ultimate "dream" amp today is a tweed version of the big, big brother, mentioned above, the Classic 400. It will put an SVT Ampeg to shame!

As to tubes, when it comes to the Peavey Classics, there's only one place that I'll go, and that's straight to Bob Pletka at Eurotubes dot com. He's got mucho experience with the Peavey Classic's, and if you tell him how you plan to use it, he'll custom pick tubes "voiced" for your needs. He sells JJ tubes (the old Tesla) and I believe was their first US distributor.

In answer to the other part of your question, I would keep all three amps, if you can afford to.

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 09:20 AM
well i just got back from the pawnshop....i got the amp for $95 out the door and picked up a dunlop crybaby gcb-95 at the same shop for $40.

I noticed the amp does have some hum when the master volune is cranked...is that normal....if not what should i look for to quiet it down some. Man it is loud and looks great. I'll take some pics later.

BTW...i decided to keep the vox and the epi valve, jr. too.

I'm going to keep checking this place out....a definate mom and pop shop....they had a nice looking takamine acoustic/electric for $225 that i almost bought.....

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 09:29 AM
well i just got back from the pawnshop....i got the amp for $95 out the door and picked up a dunlop crybaby gcb-95 at the same shop for $40.

I noticed the amp does have some hum when the master volune is cranked...is that normal....if not what should i look for to quiet it down some. Man it is loud and looks great. I'll take some pics later.

I'm going to keep checking this place out....a definate mom and pop shop....they had a nice looking takamine acoustic/electric for $225 that i almost bought.....

ww

And you were going to get RID of your Valve Jr.? Buy buy buy buddy!

Spudman
March 31st, 2006, 09:43 AM
You'd better hide Warren cause for what you got that amp for the cops are gonna come looking for you. You stole it!
See RA's post for the hum thing. They probably all hum at max but new tubes will probably take care of some of that. Depending on how "used" it is you might also replace some of the capacitors. They degrade with heat and use some. A good electronics tech could do this if needed.

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 09:44 AM
And you were going to get RID of your Valve Jr.? Buy buy buy buddy!
weeeellll...i just didn't think i needed 3 amps but i changed my mind :D

the classic 20 looks almost new except for the top plate with the controls...looks a little worn....the tweed is perfect. One thing that bugs me a little is that if you are in front of the amp and look down at the knobs....it looks upside down (the bottom of the plate faces the back of the amp instead of the front)

As for the hum....i noticed that when i backed away from it with the tele the hum quieted down a lot....haven't tried my other guitars with it but looks like if i stay 5 or so feet from it it is much quieter. So far i really like it! And if i ever decide to get rid of it i certainley won't loose any money!

ww

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM
they probably all hum at max but new tubes will probably take care of some of that. Depending on how "used" it is you might also replace some of the capacitors. They degrade with heat and use some. A good electronics tech could do this if needed.

yeah i will probably put new tubes in at some time...I'll take it to Ron's and let him give it the once over. It doesn't "look" very used....my guess is it was never used to play out. Still has the warranty tag on the handle.

ww

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM
a few pics...i need to clean up the chrome.....
http://warrenworld.com/fret/classic_20/IMG_2715.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/fret/classic_20/IMG_2716.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/fret/classic_20/IMG_2717.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/fret/classic_20/IMG_2718.jpg

Nelskie
March 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM
WOW! You got THAT for less than $100 bones?? That's criminal. Nice score, ww!

Spudman
March 31st, 2006, 10:39 AM
SCORE! Nice job Warren.
I used mine to play with a Nashville band a couple of years ago. We put a mic on it and the thing roared. Awesome!

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM
weeeellll...i just didn't think i needed 3 amps but i changed my mind :D
Three, huh? Hey, that's a g-o-o-o-o-d idea! Maybe I better look in the yellow pages for some pawn shop addresses around here....

Seriously--congrats on a great buy and ENJOY!!!

P.S. You're gonna smoke that poor Tim the next time you guys get together to jam!! ;) :R

Speaking of whom, anybody know when he gets back from his business trip and resumes his proper posting duties around here?? I miss the guy....

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 11:02 AM
P.S. You're gonna smoke that poor Tim the next time you guys get together to jam!! ;) :R
it's easy to get the equipment...now making it sound good is a different story!

ww

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM
it's easy to get the equipment...now making it sound good is a different story!
So true! I don't know if you'll play any better. But those tubes sure will make you louder!! :D

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 11:12 AM
So true! I don't know if you'll play any better. But those tubes sure will make you louder!! :D
exactly! hence my sig :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Whoa, dooode! Sweet amph!

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM

ww
Awesome score warren!!!!! :R
I might have to keep my eye on the pawn shops more often around here, but usually they don't have much.

Robert
March 31st, 2006, 08:04 PM
Good deal you made! Now crank up that sucker loud!

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Warren - I am speechless dood...that is one sexy looking amph bro. Hell of a deal hell of a deal. Replace the tubes and rebias and rock out! You better spit on the amph man before I give it "ojo" (lusting over something with my eyes - you're supposed to spit on the object of someone else's attention for safety and continued good luck) 3 little quasi-spits should suffice...puuah puuah puuah :)

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
Congrats on that really nice amp Warren!!!

warren0728
April 1st, 2006, 04:41 AM
You better spit on the amph man before I give it "ojo" (lusting over something with my eyes - you're supposed to spit on the object of someone else's attention for safety and continued good luck) 3 little quasi-spits should suffice...puuah puuah puuah :)
i've drooled on it a couple of times....does that count?

ww

warren0728
April 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM
ok...now that i have this amp i have a question. If i use the headphone jack out to record directly to my computer will the sound be more accurate than with the vox?....or is mic'ing it the best way to go?

hey ss....got iLife 06 so i now have the latest version of Garage Band!

ww

Spudman
April 1st, 2006, 10:17 AM
Mic it. That 's the way to go.

warren0728
April 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Mic it. That 's the way to go.
that's what i figured...will probably try both ways...the only mics i have now are either the built in condensor on my powerbook or the mic that came with the kids karaoke machine.

ww

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2006, 11:58 AM
ok...now that i have this amp i have a question. If i use the headphone jack out to record directly to my computer will the sound be more accurate than with the vox?....or is mic'ing it the best way to go?

hey ss....got iLife 06 so i now have the latest version of Garage Band!

ww

Nice! Have you tried Guitar Rig 2 yet? It is a great amp sim :)

warren0728
April 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Nice! Have you tried Guitar Rig 2 yet? It is a great amp sim :)
hey ss...haven't tried it yet....just got iLife 06 installed today....and i have been playing my new (to me) amph a lot :) Might play around with some recording tonight or tomorrow....both through a cheap mic i have and direct using some amp sims!

ww

SuperSwede
April 2nd, 2006, 01:50 AM
Do that, and be sure to let us hear the results. :)

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 08:53 AM
i've drooled on it a couple of times....does that count?

ww

LMAO....yeah yer good to go. :)