These look interesting:bravo:

http://www.ernieball.com/news/280/

Got to love ballz:master: :beer:

Jipes
February 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
These look interesting:bravo:

http://www.ernieball.com/news/280/

Got to love ballz:master: :beer:

It really looks like the Elixir Strings that i'm using (same gauge) interesting do you have an idea of the price ?

mrmudcat
February 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry brother was just hunting new Namm gear and found these!!:bravo:

Jipes
February 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Doesn't matter I will try to check what it will cost, that might be an altrenative to the expensive Elixir Strings

Spudman
February 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Doesn't matter I will try to check what it will cost, that might be an altrenative to the expensive Elixir Strings

They are titanium so I doubt they'll be less money but they'll probably last for years.

Too bad titanium rusts so quickly.

spt
February 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Too bad titanium rusts so quickly.
Titanium rusts ?!? Please tell me more, it's the first time I hear that.

Rocket
February 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Titanium does not rust as it contains virtually no iron and is not subject to oxidation, (which is what rust is... iron oxide).
Titanium also does not tarnish or corrode... also non ferrous, non-magnetic.

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Magnesium

Zinc

Aluminum

Mild Steel

Lead

Tin

Nickel

Brass

Copper

Nickel

410 Stainless Steel

Titanium

304 Stainless Steel

Silver

Gold

Platinum

Order of metal/alloy that corrode the fastest.Top is fastest.;)

Although one of the softest alloy it is stain free,stronger,lighter than regular stainless steel. Can handle over 800 degrees for those who are so fast they set the strings on fire or pull a Jimi:dude:

I wouldnt say spuds is wrong,maybe mistaken which we all make mistakes fo-sho.;)

This caught my eys also any opinions??B.S. or legit.

"Enhancing the inherent string quality and freshness is Ernie Ball's new string packaging - the company's first new string packaging concept in more than 45 years. Produced and now hermetically sealed into their packages at Ernie Ball's desert headquarters in Coachella, CA, the Slinky Acoustic strings are exposed to minimal moisture and humidity from factory to retailer - ensuring that all strings are as fresh upon opening as they were the day they were made."

spt
February 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Titanium does not rust as it contains virtually no iron and is not subject to oxidation, (which is what rust is... iron oxide).
Titanium also does not tarnish or corrode... also non ferrous, non-magnetic.
That's what I thought too, but I've already been wrong once in my life so I'm willing to doubt...

So Mud, what does corrosion on titanium look like?

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
In most cases it is rust resistant, but some alloys will rust. It depends on what metal is mixed in with it. So the statement of titanium doesn't rust is true, but if mixed with other metals the probability increases. Since we are talking guitar strings, I would doubt (but not positive) that they are pure titanium.

Rocket
February 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Corrosion shown happened when an aerospace alloy (titanium - 6 aluminum - 4 vanadium) was used instead of a more corrosion-resistant grade of titanium.
http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/images/medium/crev1_med.jpg

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Corrosion shown happened when an aerospace alloy (titanium - 6 aluminum - 4 vanadium) was used instead of a more corrosion-resistant grade of titanium.
http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/images/medium/crev1_med.jpg

I've been in the aerospace business for 26 years (yes, I started when I was 10) things like this is why I remain to have a fear of flying. Plus I've seen what goes on at large assembly sites for commercial jets - take the train.

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Ouch.:confused: Where the hec is our machinist .....hes usually here late night:beer: Rocket nice to see ya back:master:

Thanks strum Ill be screaming your name next time I fly and hit some of those high altitude speed bumps!:whatever: :beer:

Rocket
February 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Rocket nice to see ya back
Thanks MudMan. Heh-heh... Rockette said same thing about my front!
I'll be off again in couple weeks. Enjoy the turmoil!

spt
February 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I'm impressed... Did that part break from the corrosion (missing section of outer disk) or is the corrosion visible in the ''inner", unbroken ring?

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm impressed... Did that part break from the corrosion (missing section of outer disk) or is the corrosion visible in the ''inner", unbroken ring?

It may have a bushing in it and that could be the point where the corrosion started.

spt
February 24th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks Strum. I guess I'm trying to find what titanium corrosion looks like...

Rocket
February 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Titanium corrosion looks very similar to aluminum corrosion.

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks Strum. I guess I'm trying to find what titanium corrosion looks like...

http://met-tech.com/motorsports.htm

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 01:17 AM

If I had to choose or guess;) I'd say it was stress corrosion or crevice corrosion and exclude galvanic.Just my opinion because the mixture of alloys could very well cause galvanic corrosion :poke:

spt
February 24th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks guys, I learned something tonight...

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Any opinions on the sealed packages.It is not a new gimmick;) Have always considered it one of those maybe maybe not:whatever:

Kazz
February 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Oh this interests me.....kinda surprised Strum didnt go off on his strings tangent LMAO.

When I finally got around to having my Les Paul set up he used Ernie Ball Slinkys on it....but as we have discussed probably 100 times easy most of us from the other house use D'addario EJ products in one gauge or another on our acoustics.

I would be willing to try out the EB product so that I have a product loyalty thing going on.

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Yep strum has already mailed my exploding pie in the mail(fo-sho:rotflmao: ) for starting a string related thread!!

Just got :crazyguy: over the titanium!

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yep strum has already mailed my exploding pie in the mail(fo-sho:rotflmao: ) for starting a string related thread!!

Just got :crazyguy: over the titanium!

Glad to hear the package arrived.