PDA

View Full Version : a night to remember

Childbride
February 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
i went south yesterday, to see my paternal grandmother.

she's 89-pushing-90, and is one of my closest friends and confidantes. she was matron of honor at the shiner wedding.

i, of course, took my new amph and shiner's OE30 to play for her.

but family changes your original plans often, and after supper, she had me call my stepmother to see if we could hook up.

and as soon as my stepmother knew i had a guitar with me, all of a sudden, i was obligated to gig. :)

grammers would never think of entertaining guests without treats, so i dutifully went and acquired ingredients for chocolate sundaes...

before long, i had grammers, stepmother, and step-grandmother anxiously awaiting performance.

i initially spent ten minutes trying to figure out why i couldn't get my amph to work... panicking... i had to perform...

when i realized the plug wasn't in all the way. :thwap:

i played for them for three and a half hours, off and on.

it was kind of magical.

then it was just grammers and me again, and she was nodding off on the couch...

i put my things away and went out on the front porch with my dog.

i walked barefoot out into the carpet grass, and saw the stars, and wished i had Plank's gear to see them... so beautiful. listened to the coyotes on the hill singing windsong between themselves.

and i kinda had a surreal moment where my childhood and youngadult memories of that place flowed through me, and i felt a Peace i hadn't felt in a long time.

Life is Pretty Awesome. i'm smiling just remembering. :)

[sorry, but thanks for letting me share that, it was kinda nifty for me]

k

Kazz
February 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
wow Kymber....that is pretty special right there....thanks for putting it out there...

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
CB,

You always have such amusing and music encouraging stories to tell when you visit gram. They are always nice to read several times as it demonstrates the gift of music.

A little off topic, but you will have to tell us about grams leather pants. Not sure if it's the same gram, but you-know-who commented about them last night. He really is difficult to watch while you are gone.

mrmudcat
February 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
In-deed ,cherished days fo-sho:greenguitar:

Childbride
February 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
CB,

Not sure if it's the same gram, but you-know-who commented about them last night. He really is difficult to watch while you are gone.

[giggle] don't i know it... :rotflmao:

'leather pants grammers': yes, the one and the same. grammers is the only grandparent i have left.

my parents split up when i was nine... and it was intensely acrimonious. gram was always Switzerland, in a manner of speaking. she loved without questioning, she never took sides, and she listened without gossiping. she was an angel, and i spent a great deal of time with her and my grandfather.

when i was... i think a sophomore in hs, i told her that i absolutely had to acquire leather pants, and she immediately jumped us into the car and drove me to get some. i love her for that, to this day. :D

edit: and thank you, Strum, that was sweet... :)

Lunaray
February 23rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
You did paint a magical picture CB, I love to hear your stories, you have a wonderful family!

Cal
February 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
:) Nice story Childbride, thanks for sharing. :)

tot_Ou_tard
February 23rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you for coming to our little corner of the intrawebs CB.

Boy are we lucky to have you! :bravo:

Childbride
February 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
you all are very kind. thank you! :)

Skip77
February 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
That was very cool CB and nicely told - thanks much. I could imagine myself outside hearing the coyotes too. Awesome.

Katastrophe
February 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Beautiful story, CB... :AOK:

Childbride
February 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
[ok, now that i'm signed on as me and not shiner] :thwap:

Kat, why does northbound 35 lock up at townlake? no wrecks, nothing. just locks up.

i saw my life before my eyes earlier today, and darned near had a jeep in the back of my SUV on the way home.

canya enlighten me? :confused:

Katastrophe
February 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
thank you, Kat...

riddle me this, my friend, as i have not lived in austin for 15 years

WHY, o why, does traffic lock up at Townlake going north?!?

i did the 'three cars length' rule coming up over the hill on oltorf, saw that traffic was moving, and moved it up to 2.

BAD mistake. it locked up abruptly, i put my dog on the floorboard locking my brakes up, and the jeep behind me got about 2" from my tookus. :eek:

no wreck, no nothing. just locked up until the split.

why?!?

IH35?? It's a joke nowadays, and it was bad 15 years ago. Several reasons for this, IMHO.

It splits into the upper and lower deck. On either deck, there aren't enough exits, so not enough places for people to get off the freeway and alleviate the backup, so folks just stop. On the lower deck there is no shoulder, so if there's a wreck (which happens often) the road just shuts down until it's cleared.

The split was designed for the traffic levels in Austin during the 70's, not at current levels. There aren't enough lanes to handle the traffic.

ALL of the 18 wheeler traffic going through town goes through that section of the freeway, or it seems like it does. That adds to the mess.

And then there are the people who decide at the last possible second that they need to be on the upper deck instead of the lower, and tie up three lanes of traffic trying to get there. That happens all the time, and sometimes people don't make it and wreck out at the water barrels at the split.

Southbound traffic does the same, too. I hope you and the dog are okay!

Childbride
February 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
;) we're fine. i was worried about her, and shook till round rock from the close call... but it's all OK. :beer:

warren0728
February 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
sounds like another great musical event for you....great story teller....thanks :bravo:

ww