PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I most likely have to get a new computer for my daughter and was had a few questions about Windows Vista.

1) The obvious - for those that have Vista, how do you like it? Reasons for your opinion will be helpful.

2) Can you use old MS Office software with Vista or am I looking at upgrading my software in order to have it with Vista?

Now, before I get hit with the usual Mac Attack, it's not in the budget. I'm looking at a desktop for around $500 from Dell.

So any advise on Vista and software would be helpful. One computer comes with Vista only, while the other has the option to have XP installed.

ted s
February 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
My opinion only.. if you can get new with XP go for it.

luvmyshiner
February 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
You know I wasn't happy with Vista when I first got my computer Strum. And there are compatibility problems with older programs. But I'm used to it now. Honestly, I could go either way.

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Honestly, I could go either way.

Say what?

Lunaray
February 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Strum,

Don't know if this applies to your situation or not, but if you intend to upgrade an existing OS to Vista, be sure to run Vista advisor first. It will tell you what won't work under Vista. You can download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

luvmyshiner
February 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Say what?

Dang, I keep forgetting who I'm talking to.:thwap: I always wished I was bi . . . I figured it would double my chances of getting a date on Friday nights. Unfortunately I'm a rabid heterosexual.:whatever:

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Ray,

What I am doing is buying a new computer. One only comes with Vista and the other has the option of Vista or XP. My concern is if I go with Vista I won't be able to use existing software that I have like Office and an older version of Photo Shop to name just two.

Lunaray
February 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ray,

What I am doing is buying a new computer. One only comes with Vista and the other has the option of Vista or XP. My concern is if I go with Vista I won't be able to use existing software that I have like Office and an older version of Photo Shop to name just two.If it were me, I would go with Vista, 'cause sooner or later, MS will stop supporting XP. I'm using Office 2000 and I think, if I remember right, it will still work with Vista, though when I ran the advisor, it reported that some other applications I am using won't.

Even though you're talking about a new computer, running the advisor on the computer you're currently using, will tell you if your existing software will be comatible with Vista.

luvmyshiner
February 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Strum, something on Vista I only learned about a few weeks ago. After you install the software, right click on the icon, go to "properties", and click on run in XP compatibility mode.

KrisH
February 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hi Strum --

I was compelled to get a new laptop last weekend because my old one kept overheating and shutting down. The only option was Vista. Honestly, it's kinda cool and different, but it requires learning new ways of navigating around the system. And so far, my old programs, like Office XP (2002) and Adobe 5.0 work fine with just a few quirks (like Outlook forgets my email passwords everytime I shut it down). One really big problem, though -- my old PDA won't sync with it. I researched why, and found out that any PDA running PC 2002 or older is locked out by design. So there's another upgrade in the near future. :reallymad:

Make sure you get lots of memory, too, like 2 gig. Oh, and it's really a nudge about asking you if you're sure you want to do something, until you figure how to circumvent it. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Justaguyin_nc
February 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
As you can tell by "Similar threads" below the question has been hashed out a few times..

I guess the more I use it and it upates itself, Im content with Vista.
Everything kinda runs on Vista.. some better than others.
As mentioned, eventually you will need Vista to be supported.

I have a Desktop(Vista premium) and laptop(Vista Basic) with it.. both also boot to Linux if I wish.

There are some nice features in Vista, like adding memory just by inserting a USB Flash Drive...

Basicly just a learning curve again. Remembering to run things as Administer helps alot... and stops others from messing around... Kinda Sorta.

As long as you dont have older soundcards(Audigy etc) you wish to use with the new systems everything should be fine.. and feel new..

Most vendors are still tweaking or about to release their Vista updated software..
it's been awhile now..
so I guess the waters safe enough to dive in.

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Anyone familiar with HP desktops? I don't really know much about them, but they look to be a decent computer.

Lunaray
February 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Anyone familiar with HP desktops? I don't really know much about them, but they look to be a decent computer.I've had an HP desktop, a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop. Just my opinion, but I found Dell's support to be superior to HP's.

Actually though, my most recent computers are ones that I've built myself and I'm much happier with them, but I've been lucky, I haven't had any problems. One thing I dislike about mainstream computers, is that some of the parts they use are proprietary; I lost a power supply in my Dell desktop and I had to go to Dell to get a replacement and they charged a premium price for it. My homegrowns use generic parts and I can get them anywhere.

If you're not a tinkerer, HP, Dell, or any top brand will probably do, but my only experience has been with Dell & HP, and I liked Dell better.

Some day though, I would like to buy a Mac, I just can't afford it.

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
I would like to get a Mac to see what all the buzz is, but like you I can't afford it. I was just talking to my son about a Mac and my concern is not just the upfront cost, but I'm assuming most, if not all of my software won't work on a Mac. The upfront cost prevents the purchase and I certainly don't want to be replacing all the software I have.

I like to tinker, but it's a timing thing. If her computer is shot, than my daughter will need one right away because of school. She could use mine, but it's a work computer and I can't afford to have something lost or deleted.

player
February 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
If it were me I would avoid Vista like the plague for about a year. Microsoft has a history of releasing their newest and greatest op systems before the major bugs are worked out. Give them some time to come out with version 2. That is what it took with every single Windows based op system they have put out since Windows 95. The first releases were a holy nightmare. Stick with XP for now...and use XP Pro. recent writeup stated XP is the only OS that satifies 100% of the people 100% of the time to date, and because of sales right now while it may be the future it is not warranted at this time.several years perhaps.on the other hand aside from obvious compatabily issues and security MS has no business getting involved in.yes they are working to let other vendors besides McAfee and Symamtec use their kernal there is a service pack one on the horizon to fix a lot of bugs just be aware it uses and needs more RAM than any OS to date.personally I would not have it having XP professional until the real bug free Vista is available.True it has some nice features on the up side however on the flipside navigation,learning curves,software compatability is at this moment still an issue.the idea of You have to have it is actually a marketing ploy being most machines are in fact coming out with it pre installed leaving consumers no other choice if we want to stay with a Windows OS.don't get me wrong if MS did stop supporting XP(all versions) I would have no choice except to upgrade.that said...a Mac is looking better and better.in fact in the same article out of Redmond,Wa Windows vs Mac... Mac won overwhelmingly with their new Leopard OS it stood out over Windows.do some research as questions,lots of them.no doubt you will get as many opinions from as many people you ask.Too bad Time is not on your side here,other than that I don't like it having to always fix or explain why this or that does not work.should the SP1 come out many things might change but am not holding my breathe on it.dang a lot of typing enough said but do think hard on it.Yes with Apple software will be another pricy issue - Strum,as a rule HP machines are good machines yes
this is my opinion so milage will vary

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Player,

The whole Mac thing has me wondering. I should do a cost analysis between the two (I could probably Google one and save time). I hate the idea of the front end cost and the timing for this sucks. The only reason I'm up right now is because I am reformating the hard drive and reinstalling every thing, hoping I can get it to limp along a little longer.

KrisH
February 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Player,
The only reason I'm up right now is because I am reformating the hard drive and reinstalling every thing, hoping I can get it to limp along a little longer.

If you are a tinkerer, then it might pay you to just upgrade the machine you have. Take a look at www.newegg.com or www.computers4sure.com -- they have many decent motherboard/processor combos for under $150. Add a few sticks of faster memory for another $50, and you can have a newer, faster computer. Reuse your case, power supply, optical drives, hard drive, sound and video cards -- or replace what no longer works. That's how I built my recording computer.

Oh, and for an OS on my desktops, I've been sticking with my copy of Win2K. For work, all I really need is a word processor, an email/calendar/task client, and a browser to log into my information services. My 750 mHz home-builts work just fine.

One utility client I had ran their DOS billing program on a computer running Win3.1 -- up until 2000, when the vendor's Y2K fix necessitated an upgrade to Win98. Which they then used until the company sold two years ago.

There's really no need to fix something that isn't broken. Unless marketing practices make it so.

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Well, I might have an easy fix, it's the hard drive. Probably run out shortly and get a new one. It has a 40GB in now. I figure I'll go at least 120GB or 250GB. Does a computer have a specific range that it is compatable with when it comes to HD's? I'm assuming these days an HD is pretty easy to set-up. If I have reformated and set-up the existing one in the past, how difficult can it be.

The Western Digital has this warning in one of the reviews:

Warning: The included sata cable can only be used if you have an available IDE Power connector (4 pin). If you are going to use a SATA Power connector, you will have to get a sata cable. This is because the included sata cable is a WD SecureConnect cable, which covers the sata power socket. On the updside, this drive has both power connector socket types (SATA and IDE).

I'm not sure what that means, so I have to do a little reading.

Robert
February 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Can't help myself - sorry in advance... :)
But these pictures tell a story I agree with:

http://techepics.com/files/bigpc.jpg
http://gabrielbcn.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/get-a-mac-1.jpg

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I knew a comment would be coming, just didn't think it would be from the "The Friendly Forum Boss":D

Kazz
February 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yes Strum...older computers have limitations on how large a drive you can put in....usually it is 137 gigs that is the limit on the newer of the older generations...I know redundant.....

You are a pretty handy guy....get out of the rut of buying off the shelf...you pay a premium for crap you will never use....I have been building my own machines for the last 10 years. The HP I bought with Windows 98 on it was the last storebought desktop I will ever buy....Laptops another story...if it is not a Toshiba do not even get it near me LOL.

Desktops you can build a much stronger machine with future upgradability for about half the price of what you will spend on a storebought.

Robert
February 24th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Well, you should you know I mean it in the friendliest possible way, just strum!
Just looking out for ya, my friend.

:) :beer:

Lunaray
February 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I agree with Kazz, building your own is not that big of a deal, if I can do it, anybody can. The thought was kind of intimidating on my first one, but if you can read instructions, you'll be okay.

My biggest problem was reading that very tiny print on the motherboard to get all the pin connections in the right place. My eyesight sucks, but a cheap pair of drug store reading glasses got me through it and my second homegrown booted up flawlessly the first time I put power to it and it's been chugging away without problems for over a year now. (knock on my solid spruce top)!

Good luck Strum, let us know what you decide to do.

player
February 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Can't help myself - sorry in advance... :)
But these pictures tell a story I agree with:

http://techepics.com/files/bigpc.jpg
http://gabrielbcn.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/get-a-mac-1.jpg
probably should be picture of good old(but rich) Bill picking Steve Jobs pocket too among others he supposedly stepped on to get where his is.

alternatively Strum
there is a pretty big difference between a tinkerer and a technician.have an 80 gig drive but would like to get a tad bigger 120-160? w/1536 Ram for the speed issue.and No a Tech I'm not,others think different but I'm not.
know a little more than some perhaps but that's it.

the WD warning is just basically telling you they have a better drive that works in both areas.google up sata and IDE it may clear a few things up or not.might even be less techie online,shorter to the point too maybe in terms non techs can understand. like me:D

Justaguyin_nc
February 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Take a look at www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) or www.computers4sure.com (http://www.computers4sure.com)

Another good site with dealers trying to win you over would be http://pricewatch.com

I have known a few people now (including my lady) who have bought those cheap Emachines at walmart (400-500.00 for whole system with flat screens)...

bottom line, they work and you don't feel the pain shelling out the money.

That said, newegg was my last purchase.. asus motherboard and case..
its a great machine..
but does nothing different than her's except run faster.

it's all getting pretty cheap out there by the day...
just shop around and don't let the evil side pull you into MACdonalds...;)

Unless you can afford it..:poke:

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm installing a new hard drive right now. I had a little problem getting it going initially, but it seems to be going smooth so far. Doing the partitioning and formatting right now. A much smaller investment than a new computer.

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Installed and the thing is smokennnnnnn!!! Use to take a long time to boot up to the Window screen where you select user, now it takes less than 30 seconds.

Daughters happy, I'm happy.

Now to reload MS Office.

stingx
February 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I love Vista. SP1 is due out in a few weeks as well and I think it will fix some issues some folks have. I have a brand new Dell XPS 420 and it's the first PC I got from a vendor since my very first 486 SX many years ago. I usually build them myself but the price was just too attractive. My plan was, since Vista Home Premium came with it, that if I didn''t like it I'd just wipe it and install XP Pro. I like how quickly Vista boots up and how fast my apps launch and, unlike previous versions of Windows, this does NOT degrade over time where you need a reinstall to bring back the pep.

I believe most problems that people have are brought on by installing Vista on substandard hardware and, as usual, the problem lies between the seat and the keyboard.

Vista rocks and will only rock more with SP1. Run the compatibility tool from Microsoft and ensure your PC is up to handling the OS.

Kazz
February 25th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I love Vista. SP1 is due out in a few weeks as well and I think it will fix some issues some folks have. I have a brand new Dell XPS 420 and it's the first PC I got from a vendor since my very first 486 SX many years ago. I usually build them myself but the price was just too attractive. My plan was, since Vista Home Premium came with it, that if I didn''t like it I'd just wipe it and install XP Pro. I like how quickly Vista boots up and how fast my apps launch and, unlike previous versions of Windows, this does NOT degrade over time where you need a reinstall to bring back the pep.

I believe most problems that people have are brought on by installing Vista on substandard hardware and, as usual, the problem lies between the seat and the keyboard.

Vista rocks and will only rock more with SP1. Run the compatibility tool from Microsoft and ensure your PC is up to handling the OS.

Sting...I am already running SP1 and it has definitely helped with my stability issues...I also upgraded my video card over the weekend so I could use the Aero package....now Vista is fun to look at....the dream scene wallpapers are amazing.

This machine I built maybe 5 years ago.....but I used cutting edge technology and it will still hold its own up against most new machines....same thing with my laptop when I bought it 4 years ago it was the best you could get....so beside the products that are coming out today...the only weakness is the video card....everything else is still as solid as it was 4 years ago.