PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Guitar Body

just strum
February 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
I was just curious if any of you have painted a guitar body? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that some people take their guitars to a car body shop for painting.

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 01:49 AM
You can but with stew-mac you can get a good job done or atleast ive been satisfied! I have also done it the krylon spraypaint can way and of course Ive done it using automotive materials.All pretty decent id say;)

robert43
February 24th, 2008, 01:57 AM
The best place is a where they do kitchen cupboards etc as they are use to painting timber .
Get them to do it with a 2 pack they do MDF in for kitchen tought as nails

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
How does one go about purchasing a specific color used by the guitar manufacturer? Do guitar companies sell their colors?

hubberjub
February 24th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Check out this site if you are looking for info. They'll sell you anything you need but they also talk about all of the prep work required.

http://reranch.com/

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Great site!!!! I love their stuff and learned a few things a long time ago from that site:master:

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Equipment:_Spray_equipment/Preval_Spray_Unit.html

I don't know if it would provide any type of benefit over an aerosol can.

tot_Ou_tard
February 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Which ax are you thinking of painting Strumster?

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Which ax are you thinking of painting Strumster?

I haven't decided. I'm thinking that maybe I will do the $90 Squier as a test run first.

tot_Ou_tard
February 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Have you decided on a color yet?

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Have you decided on a color yet?

Vintage cream

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/vintagecream.html

tot_Ou_tard
February 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Vintage cream

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/vintagecream.html
Banana Pudding, nice!

Kazz
February 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I would think any enamel would work pretty well....I like airbrush stuff on the lines of what Eric is doing at BoogieStreet....but without the high dollar price tag.

Bloozcat
February 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
You have basically two choices if you're trying to duplicate a manufacturers finish: Buy spray equipment, which is expensive by the time you've collected everthing you need, or go with the aerosol spray cans from Guitar Re-ranch.

Before anyone scoffs at the spray can method, you can get some surprisingly good results with the Re-ranch stuff - especially with solid colors. I did my first guitar build in Lake Placid Blue from Re-ranch. The LPB is a metallic paint, so a little extra care is needed over the standard non metallic solid colors. It's not that big of a deal, you just have to avoid sanding the color as much as possible, instead sanding and polishing the clear top coats to get the desired finish.

I've yet to find a comprehensive color formula chart for mixing any of the old Fender and Gibson colors. Stew-Mac's book on refinishing has a few, but many more are missing than included. The old Dupont automotive paint formulas don't translate directly to the lacquer tints available today. Those companies and custom builders who have re-created these formulas, aren't sharing their information either from what I've seen.

So if you wan't to shoot the colors using your own spray equipment, you're left with experimenting with different color tints until you find the right formula. For instance: Create an opaque white lacquer and add blue (dark) lacquer tint a drop at a time until you get close to a Daphne Blue color. Then you paint a sample, let it dry, and then compare it to a sample of the original color. If it dries lighter than it went on wet, you start over, this time adding a little more tint. Sounds like fun, eh? It isn't. It's time consuming and hit or miss. But, if you happen to hit on a color, you can duplicate it over and over...if you remembered to write the formula down as you were mixing.

I've used the Preval sprayers as well. You can pick those up from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, and the like. I don't really care for them for body painting, but they can work ok for spraying on neck amber or even clear lacquer on a neck.

I've seen a few Krylon jobs that came out pretty good too, but Krylon doesn't have any of the classic colors.

Blaze
March 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
My long experience personnel Luthier told me that is finding realy look alike guitar paint in the car paint section at Canadian Tire ..Ex:the Butterscotch Telecaster etc..

They re resistant,well! the re made for cars, so , then you put a nice lack on it..

Blazes