PDA

View Full Version : Albert King - someone who knew how to play the blues

Robert
February 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Albert King was, in my ears, one the top blues players to ever walk this earth.

Some people think playing blues is simple. Well, I tell them go try and play like Albert, and we'll see how easy it is! The whole concept of blues is simple from a music theory perspective, but that doesn't mean it is easy to play blues well.

If you like blues, check out his playing here. :master:
Those bends are so tasty. His authority with playing the blues is undeniable.

Move To The Outskirts
JhAya5FLw78

street music
February 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Robert, I agree completely. I have become a blues fan and find that it is not as easy as some make it out. I do like Albert King and a few others.

Katastrophe
February 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Great post, Robert! His bends are tasty, and his vibrato is awesome, too. Look at how he shook them strangs!

You can tell that SRV had to have been influenced by Mr. King (along with Freddie and BB, too). Listen to Texas Flood, and there's a direct relation phrasing wise.

Blues indeed is simple, but there are so many little nuances in the playing that aren't readily apparent. That's why I love listening to it. You can catch a different thing happening each time you listen to a song.

Jipes
February 24th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wonderful artist, one of my favorite voice of the Blues he is an underated singer every one respect him as a great guitar player but to me his singing is also amazing really soulful :dude:

I did a small video tutorial on Matchbox Blues because I love his version of this Blind Lemon Jefferson song !

I have many of his albums but I'll play the Blues for you is among my favorites

oldguy
February 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Mine too, and "Answer to the laundromat blues" just tickles me every time I hear it.

piebaldpython
February 24th, 2008, 02:31 PM
AK is one of my FAV players of all time. Unmistakeable tone!! He did a Canadian TV music hour with SRV which later resulted in a CD of AK and SRV throwing licks around 8 songs. LOVE that CD for guys just having fun and some FABULOUS playing.

mrmudcat
February 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Yes great player!! Love that traditional blues shaped axe he's slinging also!!!;)

just strum
February 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Great sound - good post.:AOK:

tjcurtin1
February 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Great playing (yes - and singing)! I notice that his guitar is strung like a right-handed guitar just turned upside down, so the high E is on top! Also, in reference to an earlier thread on pickup height, it looks as if those humbuckers are set way down into the body.

Jimi75
February 25th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Finally something about Albert...I love this guy! It is so obvious that he had influenced so many players from Buddy Guy to SRV. He always played along with the song and his bends were supporting what content/story of the song. He could bend in a way no one could. If you liten to In Session with SRV it becomes so clear what a huge influence Albert had on him, although Buddy G. is claiming to be SRV's main influence :rotflmao:

Studying Albert's technique, although one can not copy it, is always a good thing.

Anyways, I mentioned it already in other posts, Albert King is one of the best Blues players there was, is and will be. Point.

birv2
February 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Albert truly is an amazing player who doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves. Those bends make me wonder what gauge string he used!

I heard Guitar Shorty (another underrated guitarist) tell an audience that Albert told him he'd better "squeeze those strings or I'm comin after you."

Thanks for posting this. As jimi75 says, you can learn a lot by studying his technique, though it's doubtful the rest of us could copy it.

Bob

sumitomo
February 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I would never have wanted to get into Alberts grip heard he used cables for strings a wound G.Sumi

ZMAN
February 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I have a ton of his albums but one that really hits home is his IN SESSION disc where he played with SRV. This is taken from the TV program In Session that was taped in my home town of Hamilton Ontario at CHCH TV. There were several other episodes but the one with SRV and Albert is the most memorable. I have seen the show a couple of times and I have not seen it on DVD. I have the CD and in it Albert and Stevie are almost impossible to tell apart on their solos. In listening to SRVs playing I think that Albert King was his major influence. I have seen several lefty guitar players who play "upside down" stringing. Doyle Bramhall II is a prime example. I had a friend who was like that and I could never understand how his chords looked the same and sounded perfect but they were backwards!
I even have an album of Albert "Doing the KIngs Thing" that is all Elvis Presley songs. I discovered him some time in the 60s and he is probably my main influence in guitar playing. I am truly amazed at how a guy could get a whole career out of about 4 licks. It was as he put it " a lot of guys play too many notes and got no soul". I saw BB on the new Cross Roads DVD and he is starting to slip and Buddy Guy is in his 70s so most of the real blues icons are soon to be gone. So I guess we have to enjoy them while they are around.