PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a cool photo....

duhvoodooman
March 30th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I came across this on the web. Three pretty fair pickers there. I understand this was taken at Alpine Valley hours before Stevie Ray was killed. It's kind of grainy, but not too bad. If anybody sees a larger, better quality version, please let me know where!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/RC_EC_SRV.jpg

r_a_smith3530
March 31st, 2006, 12:22 AM
Voodoo, I can tell you for a fact that it was even better hearing them together that night. Stevie Ray was a great loss to the world of music. The seat he was in had been reserved for Eric, but Clapton, out of respect, gave it up to the younger Vaughan. That must've been one hell of a blow for Eric, for the two of them shared much common ground.

Tone2TheBone
March 31st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Voodoo, I can tell you for a fact that it was even better hearing them together that night. Stevie Ray was a great loss to the world of music. The seat he was in had been reserved for Eric, but Clapton, out of respect, gave it up to the younger Vaughan. That must've been one hell of a blow for Eric, for the two of them shared much common ground.

Ya know I always wonder about things like that though. Would the helicopter have crashed HAD Eric been on instead of Stevie? Maybe Eric was destined to have his 61st birthday yesterday. You just never know. Things turn around quickly. I miss Stevie everday and thank him. I wish he was still with us on this side.

I really like Robert Cray. The older these guys get the more I like them. Eric's always been a player but his playing these days is just so much better if you can believe that! That's saying something because his playing on Beano just makes me grin from ear to ear listening to it.

r_a_smith3530
March 31st, 2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah, you've got a point there T2TB. Would the finger of death have reached out to that chopper were Clapton on board? I don't know.

Yes, Clapton's playing is great, as is Robert's, and they've gotten better with age, as has that of another one of Eric's friends, Buddy Guy. Have you checked out Buddy's new album, "Bring 'Em In?" I got to see him in January when he did his annual weekend thing at his club, Legends. Speaking of Legends and Clapton, that was an interesting show (back in '95), but a bit of a disappointment for me. It seems Slowhand has been playing huge venues for so long that he's lost that intimate touch you find in a small club like Legends. It was Clapton though, so don't think by my comment that it was a bad show, just not what I had hoped it would be. He didn't talk all that much. Buddy reaches smaller audiences much better, IMNSHO. The best part of the evening was the encore, when he asked Lonnie Brooks (who was sitting in the audience) to join him onstage. That really fired up Eric, as the two performed a blistering version of "Sweet Home Chicago." As I recall, Pete Townsend showed up one of the other nights, but I didn't get to see that one. If anyone else has seen Clapton play a small club-sized venue, I would love to hear your appraisal.

Clapton's performance at Alpine Valley was, I believe, much better overall than the Legends show.

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2006, 10:47 AM
I found another photo from that same session. Actually, it's a photo of a framed limited edition poster (this one selling for $1000!!) that was made available to a small group of premier Fender dealers in a 20"x30" size. Supposedly only 100 of them printed. Would love to have one of those puppies! Especially when you see who else is in it:

Four pretty fair Strat players, huh?

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM
they have that poster in our local sam ash.....

ww