PDA

View Full Version : My New Toneport GX

Mr Grumpy
February 25th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Installed software about 930pm last night. finally turned off PC and went to bed about 0130am. Coolest item of guitar gear Ive ever bought.:rockon: I absolutely love it and Im sure I havent even scratched the surface yet. Practice amp of choice for sure, will keep my AD30VT for loudness/jamming (was tempted to trade it against a valve junior but I couldnt bring myself to - its such a great sounding versatile amp). This toneport is simply superb :bravo: :bravo: :AOK:.

The question is, do I go for guitarport online or not? looks great I'm guessing its about £5/month UK ($8 I believe). Any UK users confirm? or any users can advise what its like (I suppose I could give the free 30 day trial a shot)

Toneport GX = Inspiration booster!

Robert
February 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I have a Toneport UX1 - very nice too. It's fun to mess around with Gearbox!
I haven't tried Guitarport online myself.

Jimi75
February 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Save your money on guitar port. I had a free subscription for 3 months and it is not worth it. If you want to work out a famous tune there is so much information on presets, how to play it and backing tracks for free on the net.

I have the toneport UX1 and it is a great tool. I do not understand why this software sounds so much better than Line6's amps do.

Jimi

Mr Grumpy
February 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I suppose I could always look for free lessons and stuff here
www.dolphinstreet.com ;)

Robert
February 25th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Good idea, Mr Grumpy! :D ;)

Justaguyin_nc
February 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Toneport GX = Inspiration booster!

+1 :AOK:

Agreed!

As for the guitarport online, Im still using it.
I am no where near Robert and Jimi's playing and find myself there more and more.

I guess it would depend on what your looking for.

I like the guitar tones the lessons provide and save them off for later use.
I like playing along with the lesson's and songs while Toneport changes the Tones for you. (no footswitch needed)

I don't like paying for it, but found out if you quit guitarport, all your lessons saved will no longer load.
Kinda keeps ya locked to them.

I waste 8.95 a month on a lot of stuff with less usefulness..
so.. Until I get bored of it I will keep it running.

Give the free trial a try, then decide for yourself.

:rockon:

jasongins
February 25th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I do like Guitarport, but I go in phases with it. I may go for weeks without using it and some time later I will be seriously into it. There are a lot of songs, and each song includes backing tracks and tab.The artist lessons are also interesting because they show sections of several different songs by one artist. It is certainly worth a try (there is a free trial period, isn't there). Some of my favorites are the Pretenders lesson, the Def Leppard lesson, and the Ernie Isley lesson.

Spudman
February 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Save your money on guitar port. I had a free subscription for 3 months and it is not worth it. If you want to work out a famous tune there is so much information on presets, how to play it and backing tracks for free on the net.

I have the toneport UX1 and it is a great tool. I do not understand why this software sounds so much better than Line6's amps do.

Jimi

Nailed it. Save your money for sure and look for the free stuff.

M29
February 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I am really interested in something like the Toneport GX or possibly the Digitech RP50. I like the price range but I am hesitant not knowing what the sounds are like. I had a Zoom 606 pedal and it was fun but not as realistic as I would like. The clean was pretty nice though. I want something I can jam with when the family wants me quiet. Something I can record with at night with a convincing sound, at least close.
I have watched some utubes on these but did not leave with any assurance of the realism that they offer.
Maybe someone could post some clips of a clean and a good distortion like a Marshall or Tubescreamer type sound. Do these things get a good deep sound or are they tinny and thin sounding, fizzy?
Mr Grumpy your enthusiasm has sold me, because that is what I am looking for, something I can get buried in and have some fun but I am still a wee bit nervous.

Thank you all for your time and help.

M29

Justaguyin_nc
February 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Sorry, no clips here but may I suggest looking up stingx or superswede's podxt sounds.. or any podxt sounds...that's toneports..there ya go!

I have gone thru the johnson jstation, v-amp, zoom 707 and 505 II probably can not remember a few more..
this toneport is the one! all the sounds you would wish for!! I liked this little 70 buck wonder so much I have added the powerpack and modpacks.. (onsale btw for 49.99 for three modpacks or the powerpack) with all these, there is nothing you cannot come up with.. it's taken me totally in!!

the sound lacks a little thru my computer speakers which are cheap, but into good headphones it is just fabulous! Now hooked to my home stereo system I have sold one amp and thinking of selling the others.. it just sounds fantastic!

Im a home player so why do I have these amps sitting here! Line6 has some awesome products that I avoided for a long time.. I haven't a clue why!!

I would like to run it thru an effects loop of an amp eventually.. just not have had the time yet.. to busy grinning while playing thru stereo system!

invested 170.00 and every penny well worth it!

:rockon:

Mr Grumpy
February 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I run it into my headphones and its fantastic on guitar and bass models. Its a bit woolly on the bass models into my 2.1 PC speakers (dont think the little sub is up to much) but into the 'CD in' on my little Marshall MB15 bass amp it is lovely. I still like the tone of my MB15 by itself for bass more than some of the models but the guitar models are simply wonderful. Ive recommended it to several guitar buddies already, one of whom should have got one on his way home form work tonight. I havent heard from him yet so I assume he did :dude: . As a practice tool I think its incredible.

Kazz
February 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I would stay away from the RP50...I have the 80 and am giving it away...the 250 with artist presets looks like it might be ok tho.

Justaguyin_nc
February 29th, 2008, 12:57 PM
but into the 'CD in' on my little Marshall MB15 bass amp it is lovely. :thwap:

+1... I have tried different ways to get this toneport to work into an effects loop like others mention.. but with no luck (most likely user error)

I had a Crate Powerblock laying around collecting dust.. after failing with the effects loop once again..
I tried the cd in (DUH!) and it works like a charm!! Although the external cab has dark speakers ...
running it into the alltone speaker on the Hellhound makes it sound just like the headphones and stereo..
although not as full as either.. quite content though going this route..

laptop,toneport,SolidState power amp... guess im portable now!

Wonder what guitar speakers would be the best for the modeler?

:AOK:

sumitomo
February 29th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Grumpy,I just got my tone port ux2 today these things are cool,I just plug it in to my little supro to warm up the tone a little the combos on this thing are endless then you can record with it.This should keep me busy for a while.Sumi

Skittles
March 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
I got a ux2 too. Is the pad input for a bass?

player
March 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM
may I refer you to wannabee's answer in the link?
http://www.line6.com/support/message.jspa?messageID=50154

Skittles
March 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Yes you may sir. Cool Thanx!

Mr Grumpy
March 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Ive also just made the happy discovery that the GX is a great soundcard - set it as my PC default audio device and its livened up all my PC audio tracks no end.

Now for some advice - Im getting excited by the thought of getting into MIDI control of this thing - namely being able to switch between preset tones and turn on and off the stompboxes, just like a real rig. Not really too bothered about wah/volume but maybe with the right controller...

I know NOTHING about midi so am throwing this open to the experts. Im guessing something like a rolls midibuddy or behringer FCB1010 with a simple usb-midi interface would do the trick. Then Id have to get my head around getting it all to talk to itself...

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The fcb1010 is a solid midi board..not to difficult to program...
I could kick myself for getting rid of mine..sigh..

In gearbox go under help.. there is a pretty good walk thru on Midi and thirdparty connection.. basicly you just plug yours in and choose it.. then assign the cc numbers... least that's what it looks like.. have yet to mess with it..

here is some fcb1010 info on line6 forum
http://line6.com/support/message.jspa?messageID=72602