PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened . . .

KrisH
February 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I walked into a music store and failed to get excited about anything hanging on the walls. Actually, it was the second time in two weeks.

The stores I browse are smaller mom-and-pop type places; the Guitar Center and Sam Ash are farther away. I've seen some pretty nice used stuff occasionally in these shops, though, especially mid-level stuff, like the Dot and the Strat I picked up over the past few years. But it seems the stuff that's coming in lately is just uninspiring. And the new stuff? It all looks the same. Lots of Squiers, Samicks, etc. I've been mildly interested in a short scale fretless bass (my excuse for going into the stores in the first place), and I'm seeing nothing that floats my boat. Of any kind of instrument. It's like looking at something and saying, "that's no better than what I already have."

Is it junk season at the shops? Or is it me? <sigh> What is the opposite of GAS?

tot_Ou_tard
February 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I have the same feeling at the Mom & Pop stores.

I wish they would have some Reverends or Eastwoods or sumpin' interesting.

Tone2TheBone
February 25th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Don't worry it will come back.

Plank_Spanker
February 25th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I posted here a little while saying the same thing........................

Now, I have bad G.A.S for an SG Classic with P90's. :D

just strum
February 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I posted here a little while saying the same thing........................

Now, I have bad G.A.S for an SG Classic with P90's. :D

And I the same. I posted here not long ago saying I felt the current collection would satisfy me for a good period of time. Apparently a good period of time = 2 to 4 weeks.

street music
February 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
My wife suggests that until I master one of three I have , WELL YOU KNOW THIS REST! If it was like a pair of shoes then I would fine.

Spudman
February 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Don't worry it will come back.
Oh ya. He ain't kidding. And when it does make sure you've been saving your $.:thwap:

Jimi75
February 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Had the same problem a while ago and posted here about it.
GAS comes back that's sure! Have a new wishlist and GAS is growing everyday :-)

oldguy
February 26th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Not me..... I'm done buying gear....... I've got enough. :rolleyes:

Rocket
February 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Not me..... I'm done buying gear....... I've got enough.
Hmmm... Now where have I heard that before?

KrisH
February 26th, 2008, 06:37 AM
My wife suggests that until I master one of three I have , WELL YOU KNOW THIS REST!

Yeah, that sounds familiar. And I can kinda agree. My stable is small: 4 acoustic and 2 electric guitars, and an upright and an electric bass. And the gig I got is on bass, so . . . why the investment in more guitars? Although, on another forum I learned that you can never have enough basses, and there is a greater variety available. Hence the upright I bought, or the Ashbory that's on backorder, or the prowling for a short-scale fretless. Or maybe I could try a five string. But do I try one with a high "C" string or a low "B"? All right then -- a 6 string. Or 7 -- full course of guitar-tuned strings with a low "B". And while I'm at it, there was that interesting 8 string I saw online (strung in 4 double courses) that wasn't too expensive . . .

Uh-oh. :thwap:

wingsdad
February 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
.... I posted here not long ago saying I felt the current collection would satisfy me for a good period of time. Apparently a good period of time = 2 to 4 weeks.

Do I hear an echo? echo? echo? echo?

Those who've known me from a previous Alien Life Forum, or even just since climbing aboard this Soul Train, have witnessed the GASeous evolution :crazyguy: my arsenal has been through.

Just when I think I've got the penultimate bevy, and when my weekly visit to my friendly local mom & pop GAS Station does nothing to stir my interest, I'll get a call from one of the guys at the store, or I stop in and ... WHAMMO:thwap:

I guess I'm just lucky (or cursed) to have GC and other bigbox stores far enough away (about 100 mile round-trip drive) and irritating enough to ignore them, but instead, have a local store that deals in selling a few quality guitar and gear brands, but mainly does a constant heavy business in trading and buying.

And that's how I've been fortunate :messedup: to keep finding a new flame to lead me over the edge to divorce and remarry. :confused:

mrmudcat
February 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Yep definitely in need of a 12 step program:D

Not that I would know anything about that;)

Krish carvin makes some snappy basses and are priced very well although midrange(high range to some;) )

just strum
February 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
My wife suggests that until I master one of three I have , WELL YOU KNOW THIS REST! If it was like a pair of shoes then I would fine.

I close the door, put on some of the tracks found on the forum and crank it up. My wife thinks it's me playing and then I ask for a new guitar.

Plus I've said "I promise, this is the last one" about 6 times now - Sort of like a groups farewell tour - it just keeps being said over and over.

Jampy
February 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
This time of year ( at least in my area ) has been cac for a lot of items, guitars being one of them, I have not seen anything to really catch my eye since before x-mas. Mind you I have been working and spending hard to build my mini home studio so lack of money sure does wonders when looking at geetars.

I am sure I will get some G.A.S pains soon enough.

Rocket
February 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
My wife suggests that until I master one of three I have , WELL YOU KNOW THIS REST!
As long as it's only a "suggestion", WELL YOU KNOW THE REST!

bigoldron
February 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM

You know, I almost want to believe you. (Yeah, right...) :whatever: