PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

marnold
October 15th, 2005, 06:42 PM
I found this site via Robert's Dolphinstreet site. I first took up guitar in grade school, but dropped it when my parents wouldn't let me have an electric but my cheapo acoustic was like playing a cheese slicer. I also hated the awful books my instructer insisted on using to teach me.

When I was a senior in high school, I picked up the bass and played that through college and grad school. When I finally got my master's, I sold it. Dumbest move I ever made.

About four years ago I picked up a used Charvel Model 7 (tele-style with an aftermarket Hot Rails at the bridge), a Peavey Blazer 158, and a Zoom 505II. In May of last year, I saw that Musician's Friend was blowing out their Fender Showmaster Celtic H's for US$249 (original retail was US$899), so I snagged one. It is infinitely better than my Charvel which has now been relegated to "dust collector." In November, I picked up the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT for US$239.

Right after Christmas I bought Doug Marks' Metal Method course along with the Classic Metal Licks DVD and SRV Style DVD. Good stuff. I've probably learned more from that in less than a year than I have from anything else over my lifetime. I like 80s-era metal and the blues.

Robert
October 16th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Welcome Arnold! Good intro!
I haven't heard of that Fender Showmaster, tell us more. Maybe have a pic?

marnold
October 17th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Welcome Arnold! Good intro!
Thanks. Actually, I have "two first names" syndrome. My name is actually Matt Arnold.

I haven't heard of that Fender Showmaster, tell us more. Maybe have a pic?
All the gory details on the guitar are here (http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Showmaster-Celtic-H.html). Here's a picture of my axes (axen?). The Showmaster is the one on the right.

http://www.ez-net.com/~marnold/images/guitars.jpg

And here's all my stuff. On the Metal Method forums someone always posts pictures of their stuff in front of a very blue couch. So posting pictures on or near a couch has kind of become a tradition :)

http://www.ez-net.com/~marnold/images/gear.jpg

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Welcome,

I've always loved the maple Charvel necks with the reverse headstock. VERY 80s and they just feel perfect. The Vox is killer isn't it! I got the same one you have. What I need though is that foot switch. I haven't gotten one yet and I'm not sure if GC can get me one...I suppose they could...I got the amp from them.

Good to see a new member!

Rob

marnold
October 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Welcome,

I've always loved the maple Charvel necks with the reverse headstock. VERY 80s and they just feel perfect.

That was one of the main selling points when I got it. Unfortunately, the neck is slightly warped so I get some odd intonation problems and buzzing. The previous owner had mauled the nut, so I had a bone one installed. It'd look even cooler if I can repaint it. I want to paint it white and put a big Red Wings logo on it. If I can repaint it and the repaint job looks cool, I might look into getting a neck replacement. 'Tisn't cheap though.

What I need though is that foot switch. I haven't gotten one yet and I'm not sure if GC can get me one...I suppose they could...I got the amp from them.

I bought mine from the local dealer. It took them a LONG time to get it. I'm fortunate they still had the amp when I got it. They're in big demand and Vox/Korg seems to be having trouble keeping up.

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Wow thanks for the heads up on the foot switch. I suppose I can order it now and then wait...no biggie I'm gigging with it right now anyway.

I haven't checked for Charvel necks online. I'm sure they're hard to find. I can imagine the reversed headstock ones are even harder to find. Those unfinished maple necks are my favorite. I used to have a Charvel but with a rosewood neck and with the sharkfin inlays. I've always loved wide flat necks like that...they reminded me of certain Les Paul necks. The only Les Pauls I didn't sell of mine, the necks were wide and thin. I was real picky about that.

Rob

marnold
October 18th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I haven't checked for Charvel necks online. I'm sure they're hard to find. I can imagine the reversed headstock ones are even harder to find. Those unfinished maple necks are my favorite. I used to have a Charvel but with a rosewood neck and with the sharkfin inlays.

Unfortunately, this neck is also finished which makes it a bit "sticky" if you understand my meaning. I'd probably look at a Warmoth or Carvin neck. The problem is that a new neck would cost more than I paid for the guitar.

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah I hear ya. Oh I thought your Charvel neck was unfinished. I totally prefer unfinished maple necks...I've never liked the look and feel of lacquered maple. Bleck. A satin finish however is acceptable. :)

bcdon
January 10th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Right after Christmas I bought Doug Marks' Metal Method course along with the Classic Metal Licks DVD and SRV Style DVD. Good stuff. I've probably learned more from that in less than a year than I have from anything else over my lifetime. I like 80s-era metal and the blues.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but apropos to your thread about distortion pedals, I've been thinking about buying Doug Mark's Metal Method. Do you still consider it the best choice for 80s metal?

Robert
January 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi Marnold, welcome to the forum! :D

bcdon
January 10th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Marnold, welcome to the forum! :D
LOL, that wasn't my intention. :) But indeed, welcome! :-)

marnold
January 10th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but apropos to your thread about distortion pedals, I've been thinking about buying Doug Mark's Metal Method. Do you still consider it the best choice for 80s metal?
Yes. Metal Method is actually the best guitar course I've ever come across period. The recent update makes a good thing even better, especially if you're a total newbie. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the welcome, Robert :)

FrankenFretter
January 10th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I was a bit confused by Matt's intro, until I read the date. Yeah, welcome Matt!

It's interesting that Metal Method was brought up, since I was trying to remember what DVD series my friend Ryan was using. That's it, Metal Method. Now I know what to look for. Thanks Don and Matt!

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the forum, Marnold!! :beer: Sorry I didn't welcome you when you first joined. Then again, you joined 4+ months before me! :rollover

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yep, that was fun to see Marnold's intro post. I did not join til 10/96. The class of 2006!

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Prompted by Marnold's Fret.net user id #22, I was looking at some of the early member profiles. Other than the "godfathers" of the site (Robert & Myles at Vital Effect), the first member was.....TREMOLOMAN! He's user id #3. Other notable early members who are still active:

Tone2theBone - #8
Bloozcat - #14
Guitar-Chris - #29
warren0728 - #35
SuperSwede - #36
Spudman - #45
....and returning just yesterday, Matt at #50. :AOK

Me, I'm #74. Well, at least I got into the first 100! :D

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Prompted by Marnold's Fret.net user id #22, I was looking at some of the early member profiles. Other than the "godfathers" of the site (Robert & Myles at Vital Effect), the first member was.....TREMOLOMAN! He's user id #3. Other notable early members who are still active:

Tone2theBone - #8
Bloozcat - #14
Guitar-Chris - #29
warren0728 - #35
SuperSwede - #36
Spudman - #45
....and returning just yesterday, Matt at #50. :AOK

Me, I'm #74. Well, at least I got into the first 100! :D
So what's my number Vood? I'm sure to be just a bit after you.

bcdon
January 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
So what's my number Vood? I'm sure to be just a bit after you.
Since I started all of this by resurrecting an old thread, I'll answer. You're #80. To find out, just look for the u=XXX in the link to the user profile; yours is http://www.thefret.net/member.php?u=80

Now, has anyone else used The Metal Method? :-)

sunvalleylaw
January 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
So that makes me 238 I guess. Just a young pup! Well Matt, here is a belated Welcome to you! I am sure you will be a great impact on the scene here! :applause

Algonquin
January 11th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Welcome Matt! There's a nice bunch of Folk here... I think you'll like it!
Cheers :beer:

marnold
November 3rd, 2016, 05:49 PM
I found this site via Robert's Dolphinstreet site. I first took up guitar in grade school, but dropped it when my parents wouldn't let me have an electric but my cheapo acoustic was like playing a cheese slicer. I also hated the awful books my instructer insisted on using to teach me.

When I was a senior in high school, I picked up the bass and played that through college and grad school. When I finally got my master's, I sold it. Dumbest move I ever made.

About four years ago I picked up a used Charvel Model 7 (tele-style with an aftermarket Hot Rails at the bridge), a Peavey Blazer 158, and a Zoom 505II. In May of last year, I saw that Musician's Friend was blowing out their Fender Showmaster Celtic H's for US$249 (original retail was US$899), so I snagged one. It is infinitely better than my Charvel which has now been relegated to "dust collector." In November, I picked up the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT for US$239.

Felt I had to go back and comment on my welcome post. The only piece of equipment that I mentioned that I still own is the Zoom 505II and the only reason I have that is because my son gave it back to me. Honestly, the only thing I miss is the Fender. I wish I hadn't sold it, even though it did net me my Jackson. It was probably the nicest playing guitar I've ever owned. Just wish it had a neck pickup.

The Model 7 was good in theory but a disaster in practice because of how its original owner mauled it. The Blazer was an amp I bought because I had to have an amp NOW and couldn't wait for the next day when the good music store was actually open. The Vox taught me which amp types I actually like and what effects I needed.

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2016, 10:40 PM
I kinda like this memory lane stuff!

Robert
November 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Yeah, very nice to read vintage posts! :)