PDA

View Full Version : Corey Stevens: Blues Man Deluxe

Nelskie
March 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM
I see that the Spudman has made two excellent suggestions for our Fret.Net blues fans. As such, I though I'd throw in one more. Corey Stevens is another blues dude that can bring it with the guitar. While at first glance, you might peg him for a SRV-type knock-off, he's far, far from that. In actuality, his music, to me, has a heavy early-mid 70's Clapton feel to it, only way bluesier. There is, of course, a lot of SRV-inspired stuff throughout his musical catalog - the tried-and-true Texas style shuffle / boogie stuff. And it's good, too. Damn, good, as a matter of fact. For those of us who hold Stevie Ray's inspiration in high regard, you'll settle into Corey Stevens' music like you would into your favorite chair. A lot of it seems very familiar, and yet at the same time very different.

Cory himself is a "pocket player", and his music is full of moody, introspective grooves, and soulful licks. Although he has definitely has the chops to burn through stuff, he stays on course, and gets the most out of his playing - a quality that I think is getting harder and harder to find with modern-era blues players. I've seen him live twice, and have been impressed both times, most especially with his vocal talent. The dude can flat-out sing.

I have two of Corey's CD's, and like both of them a lot. "Little Blue Drops of Rain" is an earlier (maybe even debut) release, and "Road To Zen" is a release or two following the former. Both are abound with great tunes, and incredible guitar work. Definintely check 'em out. Me, I'm still amazed that this guy isn't huge - I mean, he's been out on the road forever.

Robert
March 31st, 2006, 02:44 PM
The year after I moved to Canada and got married (1999), my wife and I went down to California where she ran her first marathon; in the Red Wood Forest. Anyway, to shorten this story - I found a cool little store in Eureka that had "Road To Zen". It was some sort of pre-relase version of the CD, and I had just read some good comments about Stevens, so I bought it on the spot. I've been digging the CD ever since. He's sounds a lot like Clapton when he sings and his playing is solid.

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 06:23 PM
The year after I moved to Canada and got married (1999), my wife and I went down to California where she ran her first marathon; in the Red Wood Forest. Anyway, to shorten this story - I found a cool little store in Eureka that had "Road To Zen". It was some sort of pre-relase version of the CD, and I had just read some good comments about Stevens, so I bought it on the spot. I've been digging the CD ever since. He's sounds a lot like Clapton when he sings and his playing is solid.
I used to live in Arcata & was a chef in a restaurant in Eureka Robert!

Robert
March 31st, 2006, 07:52 PM
Whoa, cool! Small world! I sure liked the weather down there.

warren0728
March 31st, 2006, 09:09 PM
I used to live in Arcata & was a chef in a restaurant in Eureka Robert!

cool tot....i was a chef in my previous life...

ww

ZoSo65
March 31st, 2006, 09:12 PM

ww
I was an amph in my previous life!

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 09:25 PM
I was an amph in my previous life!
I thought that you were an elph.

tot_Ou_tard
March 31st, 2006, 09:26 PM

ww

Tim is one in this life, but he scares away all his customers.