PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

Tone2TheBone
February 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Alright you armchair mechanics...how long should you wait until you replace your brake pads? The wear indicator on the pads are supposed to squeal I know but apparently we didn't hear them and now we have to have the &%*($@! rotors replaced (can't be turned due to too deep a groove). Once I get these new pads on when should I start to think about inspecting and or replacing them the next time?

sunvalleylaw
February 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
There are probably some recommendations out there for your vehicle. But I think it depends on driving style and conditions also. See this wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake

When I did track days in my old alfa, some guys went through front pads in a day. (not me). But maybe to be safe, put it on the same schedule as your good, regular oil changes. Always cheaper to replace pads then turn or replace rotors. I would rather go with a moderate hardness pad and replace those than go too hard, hoping for longer wear, and risk damaging the disks or rotors, etc.

Kazz
February 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
When you first hear the noise.....if you let it go...the noise will go away.....that means the indicator has broken off and it will not be long before you do damage.

Katastrophe
February 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Sometimes the indicators aren't bent properly, and WON'T squeal at all.

Tone2TheBone
February 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
When you first hear the noise.....if you let it go...the noise will go away.....that means the indicator has broken off and it will not be long before you do damage.

That might be what happened in our case. Although I don't remember them squealing at all and maybe my wife did or didn't either hard to tell there. Well of course I'll be very mindful about replacing them now.

Stephen did you mean replace the pads at every oil change or inspect at every oil change? I don't have time to do them myself so if I replaced them that often that's over $100 to $150 a pop!

sunvalleylaw
February 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I meant inspect regularly in addition to listening for the squeal. Just for the reason you were mentioning with Kazz. One might miss the squeal. We don't live near them anymore, but I used to go to a decent oil change place (time, and lack of ability to properly dispose of oil), and it seems like they would look for me. I also got the hang of looking for myself. Have them show you what to look for when get the car back this time.

Algonquin
February 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I was told once that the wear indicator was on one side only, so maybe there was uneven wear. Maybe this info was for a specific brand that the shop was using at the time. I believe they used Wagner pads.

Tone2TheBone
February 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Well I decided that the next inspection will be done at home by me. I used to replace brakes in my trucks all the time but I'm usually too busy to work on them but after this paying for this current bill on the car I'm gonna save a bit and just invest my time to doing that one Saturday or something. Give me another good excuse to down some beers again while I'm at it.

Cal
February 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Tone
I dunno if auto servicing works the same in the US as the UK...
In the UK you get a service book with your auto which shows how often any part (particularly brake pads) should be inspected. Obviously the inspection will dictate whether new pads are required or not.

If you don't have your service book, or know the interval, your local dealer should (and if he doesn't he should be able to plug it in and the onboard computer will tell him any job that needs doing).

Tone2TheBone
February 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Tone
I dunno if auto servicing works the same in the US as the UK...
In the UK you get a service book with your auto which shows how often any part (particularly brake pads) should be inspected. Obviously the inspection will dictate whether new pads are required or not.

If you don't have your service book, or know the interval, your local dealer should (and if he doesn't he should be able to plug it in and the onboard computer will tell him any job that needs doing).

Hey that's a great idea Cal thanks. The Toyota dealer can do this for me on their system I know they can. I didn't even think of that. Great tip thank you. :beer:

WackyT
February 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Inspect every 5,000 miles when you rotate your tires.
Fronts wear out faster than rears.

Tone2TheBone
February 26th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Inspect every 5,000 miles when you rotate your tires.
Fronts wear out faster than rears.

How much of the pad should be left before you know it's getting close to replacement? Some say as little as 2mm...would you recommend that? That seems too thin.

WackyT
February 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
How much of the pad should be left before you know it's getting close to replacement? Some say as little as 2mm...would you recommend that? That seems too thin.

At the inspection, if the material left is less than 1/4" (~6.3 mm), then I start planning on changing them in the next month or 1000 miles. 1/8" (~3.1 mm) and you're gonna start hitting and causing damage to the rotors. Also, be sure to change at least pairs, fronts or rears. Never change just a single wheel set.

just strum
February 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I've put new pads on scored rotors and had no problem with the new sets of pads. If they are bad, I wouldn't waste the time getting them turned, I would buy new ones. I replaced front pads and rotors on my Highlander for under $100 and did it in about 45 minutes.