PDA

View Full Version : The Meters and Howlin' Wolf

mark wein
February 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Just a minutes worth of Cissy Strut by the Meters...we played it for several minutes but I though I would spare you the "wankery"....I just have fun playing the groove...

L9-D1dZ0uqs

Killing Floor...we play it a little funky...

Ey9frsFHUJM

tot_Ou_tard
February 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I'm a *HUGE* Meters fan. I jes' can't get enough of the funky stuff.

Izzat your Suhr, Mark?

Great sound.

mark wein
February 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm a *HUGE* Meters fan. I jes' can't get enough of the funky stuff.

Izzat your Suhr, Mark?

Great sound.

Thanks!

Yes its the Suhr strat....

FrankAxtell
February 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Sounding real good ...the band is cookin'....great tone and serious fatback.:bravo:

Jipes
February 27th, 2008, 06:19 AM
As a huge fan of the Meters I really enjoyed your cover as you took it as a slow tempo which is even more funkier :bravo: Great groove the drummer really got it right Zigaboo has such a particular drum style it's not easy to approach

We also play Cissy Strut with our soul band (the SoulManiacs) but slightly more speed up and with the horn parts of the Meters Meet JB Horns CD.

Great band Mark and surely a nice clean strat tone :AOK:

Jipes

mark wein
February 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sounding real good ...the band is cookin'....great tone and serious fatback.:bravo:

As a huge fan of the Meters I really enjoyed your cover as you took it as a slow tempo which is even more funkier :bravo: Great groove the drummer really got it right Zigaboo has such a particular drum style it's not easy to approach

We also play Cissy Strut with our soul band (the SoulManiacs) but slightly more speed up and with the horn parts of the Meters Meet JB Horns CD.

Great band Mark and surely a nice clean strat tone :AOK:

Jipes

Thanks!

This song is HARD to keep at the slower tempo...we've played it for a long time and it took quite a while for us to make to groove happen at the slower tempo. We also jam on it for quite a while, and insert the groove from "Flashlight" by Parliament in the middle, but this performance was WAY too long to post and probably not our most interesting jam...

I need to find that Meters Meet JB Horns....

Jipes
February 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks!

This song is HARD to keep at the slower tempo...we've played it for a long time and it took quite a while for us to make to groove happen at the slower tempo. We also jam on it for quite a while, and insert the groove from "Flashlight" by Parliament in the middle, but this performance was WAY too long to post and probably not our most interesting jam...

I need to find that Meters Meet JB Horns....
You're right playing groovy at a slow tempo is hard but so great when it happens ;)

For the Cd they was actually two CD's Live at the Moonwalker in Switzerland.

The Meters feature that night David Torkanovsky on Keyboards 'cause Art Neville couldn't make it !

I found one here (http://www2.wavelengthltd.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CDs_43.html)

And several sellers here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005RD9Y/ref=dp_olp_2/105-3519753-1815628)

A review said
"This is the first half of a fascinating concert by the Meters, accompanied by the legendary JB Horns, recorded in Aarburg, Switzerland in 1991. Art Neville didn't make the trip, and is replaced for this show by David Torkanowsky on piano, but the presence of Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis as the JB Horns is what makes this a special treat. Every track literally drips funk, which shouldn't be surprising, since the Meters and the Horns (both with and without James Brown) are among the original architects of the form. This is an unlicensed recording, unfortunately, that hasn't been approved by the musicians involved."

mark wein
February 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
You're right playing groovy at a slow tempo is hard but so great when it happens ;)

For the Cd they was actually two CD's Live at the Moonwalker in Switzerland.

The Meters feature that night David Torkanovsky on Keyboards 'cause Art Neville couldn't make it !

I found one here (http://www2.wavelengthltd.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CDs_43.html)

And several sellers here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00005RD9Y/ref=dp_olp_2/105-3519753-1815628)

A review said
"This is the first half of a fascinating concert by the Meters, accompanied by the legendary JB Horns, recorded in Aarburg, Switzerland in 1991. Art Neville didn't make the trip, and is replaced for this show by David Torkanowsky on piano, but the presence of Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis as the JB Horns is what makes this a special treat. Every track literally drips funk, which shouldn't be surprising, since the Meters and the Horns (both with and without James Brown) are among the original architects of the form. This is an unlicensed recording, unfortunately, that hasn't been approved by the musicians involved."

Thank you so much!

Now I have to get it!:)