PDA

View Full Version : Practice Outlines

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Related to my practice exercises thread. I am developing some practice outlines for myself. I anticipate having 3 or so "routines" that I can rotate and follow, kind of like going to the gym and rotating work outs. So far, I have a basic structure of:

1. short warm up

2. rhythm/chords

3. learn songs/licks

4. scale/solo practice and techniques (include hammerons, pull offs, slides, working up and down the fretboard.

5. free jam

I imagine plugging different things (like the great ideas I am getting from the exercises thread) into that basic structure, and blurring the lines some, but think I will be more effective if I have a basic structure in mind.

I am curious if anyone else has a practice outline or outlines, and if anyone has any thoughts or comments. Thanks!

scgmhawk
February 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I think it's a great idea. I'm curious what others have to say. I'm going to do something structured like this as well because I usually just end up messing around and playing stuff I already know which limits my progress.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Exactly. Not all the time, but too many times I do.

Tim
March 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Time for me to catch up on the Fret Net news. I must go read the practice thread.

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't have any set structure. I just keep learning new stuff, but more & more I make sure that I really internalize the material before moving on. You can go as deep as you want on any given thing. I tend to explore where I feel weak (looking for good instructional material) until something inside says that is enough for now. Let's work on something else that is holding me back.

It's pretty easy formula

WAY TO MUCH TO LEARN + too little time = no way to get into a rut.

MrsBigtx
March 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
can you send me/us an example of your practice. I have something I put together maybe we can share ideas and both get better.

Mel

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Sure, when I fully organize one. I will try and post something by this weekend sometime. I would be glad to share ideas.

Jimi75
March 5th, 2008, 08:57 AM
That is a good plan Steve. If you manage to keep this up for 2-3 months you will for sure see yourself imrpoving a lot. Make sure that the sections are bound among eacht other, will say, it makes sense to pick out a song that you can make small "filets" of - chords in thar song, chord related scales and of course the solo to the song.

Don't push yourself to much, it can be tough following a schedule like that.

:AOK: