PDA

View Full Version : New Valvereactor type amp.

tot_Ou_tard
April 1st, 2006, 08:21 AM
I saw this mentioned on the Valvetronix thread in the Fender Forum.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/g2/index.asp

Tone2TheBone
April 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM
Randall amphs? Gimmie a break they're 80's amphs trying to pretend they're Peavey amphs trying to be tube amphs.

;)

Spudman
April 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
The newer Randall amphs with the plug in amp modules are really quite good. They are all tube. Mike Stone from Queensryche uses them. I've heard the amp up close while he was playing and it sounds really good. They are pretty pricey though. BTW...the new Queensryche album "Mindcrime II" Comes out in the USA April 4.

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Mindcrime II oh hell yeahhhhhhhhhh.....!

marnold
April 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Mindcrime II oh hell yeahhhhhhhhhh.....!
Unfortunately, the inital reviews I've read are not positive.

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Well it would be tough to come up with something similar or even better than Mindcrime thats for sure.

Nelskie
April 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, the inital reviews I've read are not positive.
If I had a dollar for every time a music critic has panned what I thought to be an excellent album, I'd have enough bone$ to buy me a a warehouse full of vintage gear.

Do you ever remember a Grand Funk album getting a lot of critical acclaim? How about Black Sabbath? And KISS - sheesh, critics hated them. But hell or high water, it was the fans and music that pushed these guys to stardom, and I don't doubt for a minute that it will be the same for MCII.

All things considered, I tip my hat to Queensryche for their efforts in putting together a sequel for one of hard rock's most provocative, and best-selling albums. Knowing fully that it will be under everyone's microscope is a huge risk from a commercial standpoint. But musically, it shows a great belief on the part of the band in their creative and singing / playing abilities, and that I most certainly have to applaud. That's what being in rock n' roll band is all about - not pandering to the critics.

And me, I'll fork over my $13.99 at Best Buy tomorrow for Operation: Mindcrime II without even the slightest bit of care of what any critic has said, or will say about it. ;)

marnold
April 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
If I had a dollar for every time a music critic has panned what I thought to be an excellent album, I'd have enough bone$ to buy me a a warehouse full of vintage gear.

. . .

And me, I'll fork over my $13.99 at Best Buy tomorrow for Operation: Mindcrime II without even the slightest bit of care of what any critic has said, or will say about it. ;)
These aren't "professional" critics, but fans of Queensryche over at the Metal Method forums. I've heard "I'm American." The track is not bad, but Geoff isn't singing like he used to. Not even close. Unfortunately, I hear that the entire album is like that.

Full disclosure: "Operation Mindcrime" is my favorite album of all time.

Spudman
April 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
It is 20 years later and sure Jeff sounds different. So what! If you take the album as it is and stop comparing it then it is a fine sequel. This album grows on me with every listen. They did some things very cleverly on it. Initially I thought "eh, so what. No big deal." Now after several listens I don't think that anymore and it is gradually unfolding like the first one did. Just differently is all.
I've had the album for 2 weeks now and it gets better every listen. That is the mark of a good album for me. I get goosebumps on some of the songs because of the story content and the incorporation of musical themes from the first Mindcrime.

Want to know for yourself if it is good? Buy it, listen to it a lot then tell us what you think.
Yes I'm a hard core fan. I've hung out with the guys, pimped Eddy for a spot in the band and my wife has the Tryryche tattooed on her shoulder along with Jeff Tate's autograph. She lived in Seattle and hung out with the guys there. Is it Mindcrime I? No. Is it a good sequel? Yes.

The point is that Randall tube amphs sound great.

Tone2TheBone
April 4th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Randall makes tubes amphs now? And Marshall makes SS amphs? Where the hell have I been?

;)