PDA

View Full Version : Do you "love" your job ?

ted s
February 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thinking of the past "what do you do for money honey" and "working from home" threads..

Are you happy with your job ?

Or

Is everyday Groundhog Day and it's all you can do to drag your ace into the place ?

I will say, kind of and yes.
Pretty sure I need a change but mortgage etc makes it tough.

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sometimes I love it. Helping a client because I know my way around the court room or the negotiating table can be very rewarding. I am finding more of those times in my law practice since I left the public defender contract behind and can choose my clients, or quit them if I have to. (Very rarely happens). Other times, it is what I do, and it can be very draining. With ski coaching/instruction, it is generally more fun, and there are more "Yeehah, I can't believe I paid for this!" moments, but it can be work too when the student is not motivated, having other problems, overly spoiled and wealthy, etc. We have a saying on our family bulletin board and calendar: "We do what we have to do, so we can do what we want to do." I try to live up to that.

Robert
February 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I love my job. Part of it is to run this freak show right here! :D
How can I not like that! :)

just strum
February 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
NO

enough said for now.:mad: :nono: :saw: :punch: :crazyguy:

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I peel it at mine. So in a way yeah that's cool but at the same time I know I could do better...but the payday isn't bad...easy money. I'd still rather not work at all though and be home all the time doing home things.

R_of_G
February 27th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I absolutelty LOATHE my job. it is by sheer will that i get up and go there and stay there every day. I am actively looking for another.

Radioboy950
February 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Gotta say that I do love the job...enough to overlook the daily minutia that tends to consume alot of people.
It's a blessing if you enjoy your work...and be able to pay the bills:D

sumitomo
February 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I like my job Im the boss and I only work half days (pick any 12 hrs you want) but I am getting a little burnt out after twisting wrenches for 25+ years,I thinking its getting time to retire in South America.Sumi

Algonquin
February 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM
At times... yes, at other times... no.

I enjoy what I do generally, and I've been doing it long enough to do it comfortably, and to do it fairly well.

I'm not a huge fan of the political nonsense that sometimes goes along with the job, but it happens.

I've got it pretty good, and I know it. They'll have to kick my butt out the door for me to leave.
:beer:

oldguy
February 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with my job, but it's mostly love. I'm outside in the fresh air, I'm responsible for making the dirt grades "flow", meaning pleasing to the eye and making sure the drainage, compaction, landscaping, streets/highways/curbs/gutters/sidewalks work, and foundations are solid.
The job dictates my satisfaction. If we have to turn a third or fourth generation farm into a 350 acre housing project, it's not so much fun. I just don't care for the clearing and grubbing to build expensive houses that may not sell, but urban housing near metro areas is a fact of life, and will be done with or without me.
If we are turning a 350 acre site of scrubrush, weeds, and dilapidated buildings into a family friendly waterpark (as we're starting now), I'm OK with it.
Walking amongst huge construction equipment running to and fro, while checking grade on a big jobsite can be exciting, though. You just have to be alert and be careful. I'm fortunate enough to work for a great company started just after the civil war by a man who used mules and manpower to build much of the early Kansas City infrastructure. Many, if not most, of the roads, bridges, and downtown area were done by my company, and as such, the company cares for the area and gives back to the community.

I also have a great, down to earth boss. He was the general superintendent over a 270 acre job, with multiple subcontractors and around 500 people on the first job I worked for him. It was hard for me to imagine managing that much every day...... I'd never seen only one man in charge of that much, usually four to five, minimum. After we got acquainted, we just sort of hit it off and became friends. Then one day I put on my poker face and asked him.... "Are you on nerve pills?"
Answer..."Why, you think I need to be?"....I could tell we were both trying our best not to crack a smile......
I said...... "Well, I think I would be..... I don't know how you keep track of all of this without going crazy."
He grinned just a bit, then dryly answered... "That's what they make beer for." I found out later he rarely drank except on weekends when he was off work. He's also the most brutally honest person I've ever worked for, in a good way. That makes my job much easier. You always know where you stand, good or bad, no backstabbing, no lies, no cover your own a$$ at someone else's expense. A supervisor who treats everyone equally, from the richest business owner to the newest apprentice with the dirtiest, hardest job is a great person to work for. So I mostly love my job. If I won the lottery I'd be gone as soon as the check cleared, though. ;)

warren0728
February 27th, 2008, 07:28 PM
i am doing what i love...but like with all things sometimes i don't like it! it's hard to be creative on demand and some of the projects aren't that fun but it is nice to earn a decent wage doing something you really do enjoy!

ww

Brian Krashpad
February 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty darn happy, I must say. I've had the same job since I got out of law school, and am a shareholder in the firm and in fact the President of the company. I don't make much money, and there's some days I wanna tear what's left of my hair out, but on the other hand, I have no set office hours, like the people I work with, have fun and challenging work, and have no set office hours and no dress code.

Not too many 50-year-old attorneys that can wear what I wore to work today: camo BDU pants, "A Christmas Story" t-shirt (says: "I triple-dog dare you!"), black Converse hightops, and a black leather bike jacket. Oh yeah, and I store tons of gear at my office and have band practices there after hours.

Childbride
February 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
i love my job, and actually can't imagine doing anything else [unless we win the lotto and i can winter in the carribean]... but it can be extremely emotionally draining. it never ceases to amaze me the depths of evil mankind is capable of with regard to hurting their significant other or their own children.

but mankind is also capable of doing beautiful, wonderful things, and i work every day to try to make a Difference. i find that extremely gratifying. :)

luvmyshiner
February 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Not too many 50-year-old attorneys that can wear what I wore to work today: camo BDU pants, "A Christmas Story" t-shirt (says: "I triple-dog dare you!"), black Converse hightops, and a black leather bike jacket. Oh yeah, and I store tons of gear at my office and have band practices there after hours.

Sigh . . . I wanna work for you Brian.:cry:

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Brian, I am almost there. not on court or client appointment days though. I am found wearing ski clothes purty regularly in wintertime.

marnold
February 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
i love my job, and actually can't imagine doing anything else [unless we win the lotto and i can winter in the carribean]... but it can be extremely emotionally draining. it never ceases to amaze me the depths of evil mankind is capable of with regard to hurting their significant other or their own children.
Well, I know whereof you speak. My grandfather, a retired pastor, said that working with people you get the highest highs and the lowest lows. Conducting a marriage or baptizing a child is awesome. Dealing with a divorce or a kid on smack is not. Unfortunately, many times that I first hear about a divorce is when they're driving to a lawyer. At that point, the time for counseling has passed.

I love the ministry, it's just some of the tangental crap that comes along with it that I don't like.

aeolian
February 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I really like my job. It is intellectual challenging, in fact I've been awarded a couple of patents for being co-inventor, and I am in the process of turning one of these ideas into a product for the company I work for. On the other hand, since we are doing something that has not been done before there are many difficult issues that can be really frustrating, but I'm motivated to work through them. One of these problems took me 2 months to come up with a solution.

player
February 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I love my job. Part of it is to run this freak show right here! :D
How can I not like that! :)
if this is a sideshow I love it Robert.
I do what I like and like what I do for a lving which is important in life,living and even work so the answer to stay on topic is Affirmative.how long this may last I've no clue.as long as I last works for me

Jimi75
February 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM
That is a good question. I once worked in the musical branch and travelled the world. It was the best time in my life. My life was rocking at that period, hotels, concerts, stars and the typical V.I.P. hysteria. Then my wife became pregnant and I figured that I didn't want my kids to call me "uncle". My wife had to quit her job and I couldn't go on with this lifestyle. Unfortunately, in the musical branch it's oftentimes unorganized and you always have to be thankful for having such a great job (that is what your boss tells you)- I started studying international economics in the evenings, hoping to get a position in the company without having to travel that much. It didn't happen so I had to leave the job in the musical branch. I fell from a dream into a nightmare waking up in an office and handling international projects. That is what I have been doing the past 6 years and I can not tell you that I love it very much. I had different offers from big music companies (don't want to mention names, but be sure I mean the global players in amplification and such), but they were all not that satisfying or sufficient enough to make me leave my love-hated job in the office.

To answer your question:
I do not love my job, but I know that I wouldn't love returning to my old job, because it doesn't fit in my familiar situation.

I would love to start my own music business, but that is still a long way to go.

Kazz
February 28th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I love my job....and most of the people that I work with.....MOST....not all there are a few that make it a chore just to show up.

My boss is pretty cool....but around this time last year my old boss got a promotion to vice president of Marketing....and they put me under the VP of Customer Ops.....much different personality but still pretty good to work for...but my old boss I would have fought wars for him.

The work is great as no 2 days are alike and I get a personal satisfaction from doing good work and getting paid an above average salary for it. Especially considering I was seriously stupid and did not finish my college degree when I only needed 2 more classes way back in the day. I looked into finishing it a few times recently and now with technology changing so drastically I would have to take 15 classes to finish the same degree. That is just not going to happen.

Brian Krashpad
February 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Sigh . . . I wanna work for you Brian.:cry:

I hope you can put up with clutter! Thanks goodness we don't have clients in the office.

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/006_4A.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/007_5A.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/004_2A.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/005_3A.JPG

Yes, that's the middle seat from my van being used as a couch.

Believe it or not, it actually looks worse now than it did in those photos.

Jipes
February 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I'm happy with my job I work as a research ingenieur in a tropical disease Institute. I have responsabilities like teaching new students which are inexperienced and have the chance to go abroad sometimes mostly in West Africa ! In my job since there's aconstant flow of young students that forces me to stay a bit "up to date" ;)

I still have quite some free time to visit the great forums so everything is fine

Jipes

Radioboy950
February 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I hope you can put up with clutter! Thanks goodness we don't have clients in the office.

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/006_4A.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/007_5A.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/004_2A.JPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/005_3A.JPG

Oh, surely there's plenty of room to shoehorn some more gear in there:beer:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but do I see a wig next to the Les Paul, or is it some critter that wandered in?

Algonquin
February 28th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but do I see a wig next to the Les Paul, or is it some critter that wandered in?
I'm not certain... but I think it's a 'Tribble' :eek:
lZvmxmVVdk8

marnold
February 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM

<Jeff Foxworthy>If you use the middle seat from your vee-hickle as a couch . . . you might be a redneck.</Jeff Foxworthy>

Brian Krashpad
February 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Oh, surely there's plenty of room to shoehorn some more gear in there:beer:

Yeah, dat's my wighat!

I've worn it a couple times for shows over the years. The last time I did, after the show I gave it to some woman who's a friend of the lead singer, hoping I'd never see it again, but she's kept it and now I keep seeing pictures of them wearing it all over.

I know, strange man, strange friends. :D

http://a802.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_d081eceb0aa5f37cd52da9c089133951.jpg

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Brian, that has got to be the coolest attorney's office I've ever seen!

Brian Krashpad
February 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Brian, that has got to be the coolest attorney's office I've ever seen!

Haha, thanks.

I wish my wife agreed. She finds it shameful. And it kinda is. I need to get it picked up a bit. It has so much gear in it now that the "couch" is folded up and standing on end in the middle of the room.