PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Great White North

ZMAN
February 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Well I am a newbee to this forum, I am a regular on the FDP, Les Paul Forum and Gibson and Epi forums. I was talking to Steve aka Spudman and he mentioned this forum so I came over.
I have been a guitar enthusiast, notice I didn't say player for over 40 years. I have owned a 1968 SG special since 1969, and played a little self taught blues back then. Then in around 96 I started to get interested in it again.
I purchased a MIM Standard Strat and a Champ 110 amp. I started to find guitar tab books and started playing along with my favourite artists. I also began collecting a few Electrics and amps. I have a good cross section of Gibsons and Fenders. I have 8 Strats from 4 Squiers, a Deluxe Player Strat, a CIJ 68 Reissue a MIM 60th Ann. in Blizzard Pearl and a 50th Ann. Deluxe. I have a Gibson SG, Les Paul, ES335, and two Epis, an elitist Les Paul Custom and a Sheraton II in natural finish. I also have a Squier Master Series Esprit.
In the Amp category I have a Blues JUnior special edition, a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, A Blues Deluxe Reissue, and a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. As for Pedals I have mainly fulltone including a Mini Deja Vibe, OCD, Fulldrive II, and Fat Boost. For a little dirt I havd a Boss SD1 on my Furman board and to keep it all in tune I have a TU2 tuner and for some JIMI I have a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah.
My main influences are the King boys and the people who copy them best. Clapton, Buddy Guy, Gary Moore and the Vaughn brother.
I was able to retire early so I have lots of time to practice and play.
I live in the Niagara region in Ontario and have access to several good music stores and I travel extensivley in the US. So if you have any questions about any of my gear etc. let her rip. Because if I have any you will certainly hear from me.

ted s
February 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome Zman, nice load of gear you have there.
Niagara, I'm just up the "street" from you.
Did you ever see the arial photo of Spuds' gear ?

just strum
February 27th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Welcome ZMAN, it's good to have you here. I pass through your area every few weeks on my way to Georgetown Ontario. I'm also one of those people that honeymooned there. Actually Niagara on the Lake and stayed at the Prince of Whales Hotel. We were there in June of blah blah blah and the place was empty. We went back with our kids about 8 years later and the place was packed as if a rock concert was being held there.

Well, I am sure Steve told you about the place and he's been around for some time (I'm somewhat of a newb here). I think you are going to like it here.

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi ZMan! Spud/Steve and I/Steve (relative neighbors out here in Idaho) were discussing you relative to the Squier Deluxes and the fact that you own a guitar identical to mine. I am a relative newb picking up guitar at all only a few years ago, and regularly only a year and 3/4 ago. Sure is fun though! I am a member over at FDP too, but almost never go over there. Good to have you here. Welcome!

Algonquin
February 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the Fret ZMAN.
Ted lives down the road from you, and I live down the road from Ted... we're practically neighbors!
:beer:

peachhead
February 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Greetings, ZMAN- good to meetcha :D

mrmudcat
February 27th, 2008, 07:20 PM
welcome:bravo:

warren0728
February 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
welcome zman....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
February 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Welcome, that was a great intro! Good to see some more :canada: too!

You've got some sweet gear there, brotha.

Enjoy this place!

tot_Ou_tard
February 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Long live the Kings!!!

Welcome Z-ster!

Spudman
February 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
ZMAN
Welcome. I'm glad that you exposed yourself. :o tee hee:D

I sure appreciate all the gear input you've shared with me. Thanks. This is a great place to hang out and there is a ton of great information in the archives but don't hesitate to ask for anything.

Anyone that's as much of a gear-head as you are....needs to hang around here to keep some of the heat off of me!:D

Peace.

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Uh, I think you'll still be feeling the heat from those that know you.

;)

luvmyshiner
February 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Welcome aboard Zman. Any friend of Spuds is . . . in need of new friends (just pokin' Spudman:poke: ).

oldguy
February 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome to TheFret, ZMAN! Glad you joined us all here...........looks like you've already got some great gear, and if you know Spuds, you can't be all bad....:bravo:
:beer:

ZMAN
February 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I have been pretty selective in my grear purchases. As you guys know it HAS in the past been pretty pricey to buy gear in Canada. I am lucky enough to have a relative in Maine so I can travel and pick up gear in the US, or have gear sent to them from the online dealers when they are blowing items out the door. With the new Cannuck buck and reduced prices I have kind of been on a Gear rampage. In the last two months I have purchased 2 Squier Deluxes, a 65 Deluxe Reissue, and a Gibson Studio in fireburst. The prices were just too good to pass up.
I can remember oh so clearly when the US dollar was worth 135 Can.
And yes I have seen Spuds collection.
He was asking me about the Deluxe Squiers and I told him if he bought any more guitars he would need a bigger lawn! LOL.
Nice to see a bunch of Cannucks here. And like I said if you need any info on the gear I have fire away. I really like to do evaluations on gear and try to find the real good or bad qualities. I do a ton of research before I buy.

magoo
February 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Welcome Z-Man.:canada:

peachhead
February 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hey ZMan, it's your fault I've been checking out those new Deluxes. I saw your post in another thread and I've been drooling ever since. I wish they had different colors, though, although the Pearl White one is pretty sweet.
My local store has some pretty decent prices on some amps, and since they are a Fender dealer I would feel comfortable taking one I bought online there if I had any questions about the setup.
Just wanted to say thanks for the info! I'll take all the help I can get...:D

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I have been pretty selective in my gear purchases. . . . .

And like I said if you need any info on the gear I have fire away. I really like to do evaluations on gear and try to find the real good or bad qualities. I do a ton of research before I buy.

Since you mention it, and because of the different strats you have, I am curious of your impressions of your 60th. It was my first electric and I really have liked it. My initial reaction, as a brand new newb of a few months, appears here.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1707

I thought it might be nice to have another owner's opinion in there. :D

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hey Sunvalley: It was kind of funny how I bought my 60th. I was actually looking for a Deluxe Powerhouse Strat with the mid boost circuit. I was looking at either a Black with Maple or a Blizzard Pearl with maple. The black was going to be my "Blackie" ala Clapton. While doing my research on them I saw the MIM 60th in the blizzard Pearl. I am a sucker for vintage tinted maple boards. The new MIM Standard strats had a total upgrade at the time to total shielding, better electronics and a solid trem block. When I heard that the guitar was basically a Jimmy Vaughn with the upgrades I was very interested. My local guy had become a Fulltone dealer and I had ordered a Mini Deja vibe pedal. When I went in to pick it up I casually asked him if he had seen the 60th yet. He said he had one in the back that he was thinking of keeping for himself. He said he had never seen a guitar with such a flamed neck. When he brought it out I was blown away. I have never seen such a flame on a production neck. Only on special orders and aftermarket necks. So I was a gonner. It was pretty hard to convince my wife that the guitar came with the pedal! LOL.
The reason I deal with this shop is that the guy I deal with is the best tech I have ever seen and I get him to set up all my guitars. I guess I lucked out in that he is a player and likes the same set up as me. As low as possible without buzzes and the trem screwed right down almost a hardtail. He always gives a free set up with a new guitar so I had 9.5 D'Addarios put on.
Overall I really like the guitar I love the tones you get with those Tex Mex pickups. The body is about 4 mm thicker than my 50th Ann. and has a very thick vintage tone. I have tried to get shots of the neck but I can't do it justice. I will try again and post some pics. Most of my Strat purchases have been for guitars that are kind of modded from the factory. I don't change anything on them and try to buy feature packed units.
If you have any specific things you want me to comment on just go ahead. I really like the 60th a lot.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I love mine too and concur. I don't have anything more specific to ask, just thought it would be nice to have another owner confirm what I keep yakking about. :-) I felt mine was the equal of the american built Highway Ones in fit and finish, and I liked the sound better than the H1. The H1 was darker sounding, and this one was a warm, vintagey bright sound to my ears. I bought mine from a working musician, and it had been set up like yours, trem screwed down. I have not reversed that and like it like that so far. I do not use a t-bar much in my playing yet. Anyway, thanks for chiming in! If you don't mind, I may cut and paste this discussion over to the 60th thread too.

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I have some pictures of the neck now uploaded. You will see what I was talking about with the almost tiger stripe on it. Never seen this before.
No problem putting on the 60th thread. I have not got around to all of them yet

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Another late welcome! I can't keep up with all the new members sorry!

Cal
February 28th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome ZMAN! :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
February 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Welcome!

Any friend of Spud is...

hmm, maybe I shouldn't go there. :D

We forgive you for the Spud connection. ;)

So a great white north reference would mean another Canuck, eh?

Plenty of y'all here. Brr.

Should be back up in the 70's F this weekend where I'm at.

Looks like a nice batch of gear, you realize we'll need to see pics. ;)

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Zman! Some VERY nice gear you've got there! :AOK: I have an Epi Elitist LP, too, but mine's a Standard. How do you like that guitar vs. your Gibson LP?

I like your list of influences, too. Many of the same players I count among my own favorites. Look forward to hearing more from you here.... :rockon: