PDA

View Full Version : silvertone?

peachhead
February 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hopefully this is in the right place.

I've been looking at this for a while and I have never seen one to actually be able to pick it up. Pricewise, it's pretty cheap, but I haven't seen very many bad reviews on it either. Apparently Silvertone is owned by Samick, which can put out some pretty good instruments. I'm just wondering has anyone ever seen one of these or does it just look good to me because I'm poor?

http://www.smcmusic.com/website_silvertone/products/electric_ssl3/index.htm

For $200 bucks I'm tempted to try it but I just don't know.

Brian Krashpad
February 28th, 2008, 07:22 AM
So long as the seller has a good return policy, you should be OK.

Cheap guitars nowadays are way better then they used to be.

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Check out Spudman's post on the Agile AL2000 with P90 pickups. Agiles have been given some good reviews by the members of this forum.

You can look at other guitars at www.rondomusic.com as well.

peachhead
February 28th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I've been looking at the Agiles also- the 2000 is the same price and I have been noticing the good reviews that the 3000s have been getting here. What I really like is the 3100 but it's almost twice the price....

I can't decide if I ought to get a Strat first. I've read where LPs are somewhat harder for beginners (like me) to play, but I've never tried to play one, either. Any thoughts on that?

player
February 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I've been looking at the Agiles also- the 2000 is the same price and I have been noticing the good reviews that the 3000s have been getting here. What I really like is the 3100 but it's almost twice the price....

I can't decide if I ought to get a Strat first. I've read where LPs are somewhat harder for beginners (like me) to play, but I've never tried to play one, either. Any thoughts on that?

may we respectfully suggest you go out and try to play the guitars in question? this way you make an informed hands on decision:)

peachhead
February 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I would love to- at my local store, I can pretty much get my hands on a good selection of Fenders, (no Squiers) but not much else. I'd have to go to Atlanta to GC for anything else, and I just haven't had the time.
That alone may dictate what I end up with, because I would rather see what I'm getting firsthand, at least until I get a better feel for things.

player
February 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I would love to- at my local store, I can pretty much get my hands on a good selection of Fenders, (no Squiers) but not much else. I'd have to go to Atlanta to GC for anything else, and I just haven't had the time.
That alone may dictate what I end up with, because I would rather see what I'm getting firsthand, at least until I get a better feel for things.

what also may work and we stress May is if you know anyone with said guitars to let you play them.me thinks the forum would agree playing/trying before you buy anything is the way to go :D

Brian Krashpad
February 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM
what also may work and we stress May is if you know anyone with said guitars to let you play them.me thinks the forum would agree playing/trying before you buy anything is the way to go :D

Well Agiles are only available mail-order via Rondo, so it's doubtful that playing the actual model being considered, much less the actual specific guitar, will be possible.

That being said, Rondo has a great return policy and Kurt, the head honcho there, is a good guy.

It would be advisable to play some Strat-type and LP-type guitars to see if the OP has a strong preference for one or the other, though.

Strats are lighter and somewhat more comfortable. But LP's have a shorter neck scale that some find easier to play. I find it tends to even out overall. So I find them to simply be different rather than one being preferable to the other.

Brian Krashpad
February 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hey Peach, I dunno exactly where you're at in Ga., but an internet buddy of mine has a cool place in Columbus called Gorilla Guitars. I've never been but have seen photos and stuff, and know several mutual net-friends who've had good experiences buying there.

Check it out if you ever get over in that direction.