PDA

View Full Version : My first lesson with a real person!

Simon
February 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Been trying to teach myself for the past 1½ years. Day before yesterday I went for my first lesson. The teacher is a late-twenties musical student who responded to my 'wanted'-ad on a music store forum. He had asked me to bring whatever I'd like to work on, which was Wish You Were Here.
He encouraged me to learn strumming patterns written in musical notation (quarters, eigths). Then he summed up that I needed more practice on chord changes and right hand rhythm and penned down a few exercises for the following week. Which I of course promptly failed to do yesterday... :spank:

I brought my camera and grabbed the session on video, which was fine with him. Don't think I have much use for the pictures though, so next time I'll try to record just the audio on my mp3 player (Sandisk Clip - highly recommended).

The prize we agreed on was $125 for five one-hour lessons. Then I'll evaluate whether I'm pleased with the progress (if not the teacher is of course to blame!). :confused:

Kazz
February 28th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Simon...if you do not do your homework the teacher is not to blame.....

and I can say that since I have you on my myspace LMAO

tot_Ou_tard
February 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Please do your homework Simon, you're lucky to have it. You'll enjoy it when you can smoothly nail those chord changes & be in the pocket with the rhythm.

We're rooting for you!

Childbride
February 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
good for you, Simon! stick with it; it can have huge payoffs/gratification with your progress. :)

just strum
February 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM
ALRIGHT SIMON!!!!

I hope you can post updates of joy and progress.

I started mine this past Saturday and I am excited.

Pike
February 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Right on Simon! and Strum too!

street music
February 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Good luck, not a bad price for that long of a lesson, most around hear get $25 for 1/2 hour.

Simon
February 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM
:D
Thanks for the encouragement guys and gal! I tried to make amends by practising three times yesterday...

mrmudcat
February 29th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Good luck, not a bad price for that long of a lesson, most around hear get $25 for 1/2 hour.

Really its only $15 a half up here in HE-double toothpicks,I mean Maine:D

mrmudcat
February 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM

Really its only $15 a half up here in HE-double toothpicks,I mean Maine:D

Oh yea congrats simon:D