PDA

View Full Version : Even pros have bad days

Spudman
February 28th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Watch this when you have a bad day playing. The Metallica gang is being very patient with their guitarist.
546KjKMB9kw

Robert
February 28th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Poor Kirk...

marnold
February 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I feel much better about my "issues" getting timing in "Livin' after Midnight" down now.

Jimi75
February 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Kirk is a great guitarist. But here he definitely can follow James.

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've seen this before and yeah James shouldn't let Kirk do the rhythm riffs. heh

jasongins
February 28th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hilarious! It reminds me of one of my lessons.

Robert
February 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Reminds me of myself trying to play something.... :( :)

Katastrophe
February 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I've seen it, too. Some of James' stuff gives me fits, with his right hand technique.

Kirk can play good rhythm, though. I had 4th row seats at a Metallica concert a looooooong time ago, and the band seemed to hit every note, with nary a mistake.

Kirk also came up with the original riff for "Enter Sandman" as well. It's comforting to know that even multiplatinum ex-Satriani students can have a bad day though.

snarph
February 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
gosh you think they were human

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
James is a great guy. I can't believe how extremely patient he's being with Kirk there. I mean you can tell it's getting to him but he's still managing a solid tutorial on Hetfield riffage in a most patient manner.

jpfeifer
February 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Ok. I feel much better now ... :-)

I had some situations like this.
Recently, I had to play some country parts for some recordings I was working on. They brought in these demos created by some guys in Nashville, and asked me to play the same parts but only make them a little different, in a new key.

The guitar parts on the demos were very well done, very cool Telecaster twangy stuff done in a kind of Waylon Jennings style.

I tried like crazy to match the parts and really struggled, playing them with a hybrid pick-and-fingers approach. I finally had to simplify my part in order to play it evenly and stay in the pocket (I hated it, as compared to the original demo)

The next day I was messing with a thumbpick and discovered that I could nail the part exactly with that approach, versus the flatpick. Too late, they didn't have time to allow me to re-cut the tracks. Lesson learned for the next time, if the part isn't comming together try changing your fingering, changing guitars, or use a thumbpick :-) I left that session feeling very humbled. But it's given me more things to practice for the next time if I get called back.

-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I like the gym-rat CBGB T-shirt. ;-) Not that I want to take comfort in anyone else's struggle, but it is reassuring to see that everyone struggles at times.

just strum
February 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I find comfort in that because I was struggling last weekend when my instructor was trying to show me a lick and I couldn't repeat it. Just another example of that never ending journey.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Apparently Kirk has had some issues in the past.
kYGpPmLUMLM

The_Shredinator21
October 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
i sometimes feel like him too.;)

just strum
October 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I've had several of those moments and seeing this lets the beginners (me) know that even the ones making the big bucks have to practice, practice, and practice.

Pro athletes still go to spring training and summer workouts regardless of their talent level.

Sort of like watching Tiger chunk a chip shot. When I first saw that, it made me feel I wasn't alone.

pes_laul
November 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Apparently Kirk has had some issues in the past.
kYGpPmLUMLM
lmao

Kazz
November 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Pro athletes still go to spring training and summer workouts regardless of their talent level.

Sort of like watching Tiger chunk a chip shot. When I first saw that, it made me feel I wasn't alone.

Yeppers...watching Tiger shank one off to the right or left made me feel alot better about my golf game years back. I had shot a couple of rounds at 89 at an Arnold Palmer owned and designed course in Creswell Oregon. Still the 2 best scores I have recorded, but I have not played any golf at all for 2 years now as my back got so bad I just could not even try.

Would love to play even 9 holes next spring now that the back is starting to recover.

Anyway watching Tiger screw up occasionally put a smile on my face. He makes the game look so easy at times, then there are the times he also makes it look as it is...one of the most difficult to master.