PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me - gas content

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
....whew I got gas bad and it smells like.....Martin!

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DR.htm

just sayin'. :)

Ok I'll say more. Played one at Guitar Center. Reasonably priced for a Martin. It's their "in between" model on the lower end of the price scale not in the $30,000 range. Guitar is simple and very functional. I don't need a shiny guitar for eargasmic pleasure. This baby sounds so damn good. Words cannot describe. The wheels are turning....again.

Robert
February 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Which model?

Here's one for you - http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/martin-000-15-guitar-and-case--00015.htm

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Which model?

Here's one for you - http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/martin-000-15-guitar-and-case--00015.htm

Wrong one Rob. I edited my post to tell which one.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Looking good Tone! Keep me posted. You know I am wanting that Martin Rosewood/Spruce dreadnought sound one day. That Larrivee D-03R seems the other one I can find that sounds and looks close to me, and is at a comparable price point, and is Canadian built. Do you know where this one is built?

warren0728
February 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
the music teacher at my kids school has a nice martin acoustic...i complimented him on it one day and he said "play it"....he didn't have to ask twice.

I'm not sure what model it was but it "played like butter"! :AOK:

hated to give it back to him....

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure where this particular model is made but I know it's still in the US. I really love that rosewood back and sides. Even laminated it sounds wunnerful and feels like an old worn pair of faded jeans when you play it (Warren).

warren0728
February 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM
well i say go for it :dude: but it's always easier spending other peoples money! :beer:

ww

mrmudcat
February 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Just buy it already it stinks in here.Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww:rotflmao: :munch:

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Just buy it already it stinks in here.Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww:rotflmao: :munch:

LMAO I will I will.....soon!

just strum
February 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
LMAO I will I will.....soon!

Hey Stinky, if I'm reading the two links correctly the one Robert put in his post is all solid, plus comes with a case. The other is solid top and laminate back and side, plus no case.

Have you gone to the store and tried either of them?

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hey Stinky, if I'm reading the two links correctly the one Robert put in his post is all solid, plus comes with a case. The other is solid top and laminate back and side, plus no case.

Have you gone to the store and tried either of them?

The one I played at GC comes with a case and is $899. (less than the advertised price online). I've played the DR and another model which I don't remember what it was ($1899) and both sounded the same. It doesn't matter all that much to me if it's all solid sides and back or not with that guitar...it just sounded freakin' good. There's another Martin dealer on the west side of town I might go over there and see what models they've got. If they have one in that price range that's different in terms of being solid I would consider that one too.

just strum
February 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I agree that it doesn't matter, it's the sound that is important. I was asking if you tried them to see how they compared. The upside to solid is it will open over time and even sound better as it ages. However, if isn't the sound you are looking for when purchased, I wouldn't roll the dice thinking it will sound better down the road.

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Well if it sounded good to me on day 1 my hope would be that it would still sound as good on day 20,000. "Better" wouldn't matter cause by the time I'm old my hearing will be shot anyway and I'd only be able to feel the awesome resonance of my Martin. :D

just strum
February 28th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Well if it sounded good to me on day 1 my hope would be that it would still sound as good on day 20,000. "Better" wouldn't matter cause by the time I'm old my hearing will be shot anyway and I'd only be able to feel the awesome resonance of my Martin. :D

On day 20,000 I have a feeling it would or should I say will have one of those Willie Nelson holes. I get the impression it will spend little time hanging on the wall;)

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 05:46 PM
On day 20,000 I have a feeling it would or should I say will have one of those Willie Nelson holes. I get the impression it will spend little time hanging on the wall;)

That'll work because it will take me that long to build my music room anyway. :) I plan to put some of those cool guitar hangers that Warren did in his music room but yeah you're right if I get that baby it won't hang much mate.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I agree that it doesn't matter, it's the sound that is important. I was asking if you tried them to see how they compared. The upside to solid is it will open over time and even sound better as it ages. However, if isn't the sound you are looking for when purchased, I wouldn't roll the dice thinking it will sound better down the road.

Really the top is what opens up more than the back, and certainly more than the sides, as I understand it. The bracing has a lot to do with it too. It can get pretty cork-sniffy pretty fast when you start slicing it that finely. There are differences, for sure, but are the differences worth one to two thousand more dollars? I am finding that the guitars in that retail price range (primarily some Martins, a Guild, and the Larrivee) come close enough that I don't feel I would need to triple the price for my purposes. I would still like to check out a Tak and a Yamaha or two with Rosewood/Spruce. Jimi75's sure sounds nice.

strumsalot
February 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hey T2TB, I've played a couple of these DR's and they do sound awesome. I've been gassing for one for the last few months. The top has an A-frame "X" bracing pattern. My local shop also has a couple of D-28's and the DR's are right up there with them in low-end and sustain... great balance string to string too.

As Jim Cramer would say...BUY! BUY! BUY!

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hey T2TB, I've played a couple of these DR's and they do sound awesome. I've been gassing for one for the last few months. The top has an A-frame "X" bracing pattern. My local shop also has a couple of D-28's and the DR's are right up there with them in low-end and sustain... great balance string to string too.

As Jim Cramer would say...BUY! BUY! BUY!

Strumster you're a man of discernment I see. Your observations equal to what I have been experiencing lately. Yeah I would agree that it's right up there with higher end Martin models and your insight on the balance from string to string is exactly what I was explaining to Sunvalleylawski earlier today. Barring chords up the neck and you still get that warm depth and clarity as you'd get playing open G and D chords at the nut. To me this is the cornerstone of ultimate acoustic guitar tone that you'd ever want. I'm definately wanting to BUY BUY BUY! :beer:

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Ahh, Toney! I was understanding what you were doing, but not why. Cool!!

Justaguyin_nc
February 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Not meaning to cause more GAS... but...

have you notice or tried this one Tone? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D15-Custom-Spruce-and-Rosewood-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515888

Solid Rosewood and cheaper? How come? hmmmm.. maybe cause it's on sale for $900.00?

Tone2TheBone
February 29th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Not meaning to cause more GAS... but...

have you notice or tried this one Tone? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D15-Custom-Spruce-and-Rosewood-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515888

Solid Rosewood and cheaper? How come? hmmmm.. maybe cause it's on sale for $900.00?

That's the other Martin I am considering too buddy thanks for reminding me about that. Sunvalley and I were talking about that baby the other day too. I got a new Guitar Center Green Tag Savings Event catalog in the mail yesterday and inside is the Martin DSR for $799. I didn't see one of those models or the Custom D-15 at the shop though. The DSR also has solid rosewood sides and back as the Custom D-15. I'm going to run over to the shop on the westside today and see what models THEY have as they're another Martin dealer in town. Hopefull they'll have your recommendation there because that was the one I was looking at too.

sunvalleylaw
February 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Let me know what you think buddy. I trust your ears and I know you have your standards.

Tone2TheBone
February 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Let me know what you think buddy. I trust your ears and I know you have your standards.

I'll do that. Heck I'll even make you a video with my camera phone and send it to you. PM me your cell number.

Justaguyin_nc
February 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'll do that. Heck I'll even make you a video with my camera phone and send it to you. PM me your cell number.

Way cool.. I love technology!!

Now demo's via cell phone!

Can it get any better!!

:master: