PDA

View Full Version : The ESP cliché

Jimi75
February 29th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Some guitar companies suffer from their own bred cliché and narrow minded marketing strategy.

I play the ESP Eclipse Les Paul type of guitar. After checking several Gibbies, Epis and other brands I fell in love with the Eclipse. It is not the typical EMG monster, as it has some nice Seymour Duncans. Furthermore it is light and sounded way better than most of the originals. At the time I was buying it, I played only Blues and Rock, so I have chosen it to be my Blues guitar. It also does a decent Metal job in my new Metal band.

Fact is unfortunately that if you check youtube and enter ESP Eclipse you will find a bunch of videos with guys playing only Metal on these guitars. It really is sad as they offer so much more and for poeple looking for a really good Les Paul type of guitar the ESPs are a perfect choice. Brilliant craftmanship, handselected woods, bone nuts, modern features etc.

Obviously, ESP is feeding the hungry metal heads and does a decent job, but hey also Bluesers and Rockers can find their dream instrument at ESP.

hubberjub
February 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I've heard really good things about their Traditional series. Also their Edwards line is supposed to be excellent. I always liked the looks of the Eclipse. I'm not too impressed with the LTDs but you can buy a used ESP pretty cheap now.

tunghaichuan
February 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I like that Eclipse series. If I were in the market for a Les Paul-type guitar, that is what I would probably get.

My first good guitar was an 80s ESP strat copy. Three-color sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard. Soon after I got it, I lucked into a used set of EMG-SAs and put those in my ESP strat copy. That was my main guitar for years. I've always been a fan of ESP guitars.

tung