PDA

View Full Version : My big toe is screwed up

Robert
February 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I went for a run in cold windy weather some weeks ago. My big toe froze a bit then. Now, I am getting worried. I ran today for 34 minutes in sunny, fairly warm weather. After doing some stretching and a quick lunch, I jumped in to the shower and I looked at my toe - it was dark blue and I had no feeling in it all. I realized I hadn't had any feeling in it for the last 20 minutes. While in the shower, it finally started turning normal color, albeit quite red.

Has anyone experienced this type of issue with a finger or toe? Is there anything I can do to about it? I'm guessing I just have to stay away from cold weather for a good while.

sunvalleylaw
February 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM
It is from operating your effects pedals without shoes on!! Get some Crocs immediately!!

I am no doc, but sounds like you got some good frost nip or bite. Watch it. Make sure you keep good circulation in your shoes. I have never had really dark blue, despite many years of cold exposure. I would be careful with that.

Algonquin
February 29th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm guessing I just have to stay away from cold weather for a good while.
Best advice I can give is to see a Doctor.

Rob, you live in Alberta! Are you sure only your toes were blue?

sunvalleylaw
February 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, see a doc if it comes back or keeps happening.

Jampy
February 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Yea, Keep it warm and the blood flow strong. See a doctor ASAP.

sunvalleylaw
February 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM
This is more kid specific but has some info.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/frostbite.html

Tone2TheBone
March 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Running is bad on your joints and toes! Go get checked out dude.

tot_Ou_tard
March 2nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Add another voice to the chorus of: "See a doc".

Is your toe blue when you are not in the shower?

warren0728
March 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
robert...make sure you keep a cell phone with you when you are running...if it gets worse and you have to quit running....you'll have to call a "toe" truck! :rotflmao:

sorry....couldn't resist....

ww

Algonquin
March 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
if it gets worse and you have to quit running....you'll have to call a "toe" truck! :rotflmao: ww
Oh that's good! :master:

luvmyshiner
March 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
robert...make sure you keep a cell phone with you when you are running...if it gets worse and you have to quit running....you'll have to call a "toe" truck! :rotflmao:

GROAN! Oh man that's bad.:master:

Hey, if Robert doesn't take everyone's advise and go see a doctor, and it gets worse, we can always say . . . wait for it . . . "I toed you so".:poke:

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Ok - all toegether now

GET WELL SOON!!!

ok, it's weak, but it's all I had.

warren0728
March 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
and it gets worse, we can always say . . . wait for it . . . "I toed you so".:poke:
worse....but in a better kinda way!! :beer: :bravo:

ww

Robert
March 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
You guys are funnier than Jerry Seinfeld. Not "toe" bad for a bunch of guitar slingers!

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM
You guys are funnier than Jerry Seinfeld. Not "toe" bad for a bunch of guitar slingers!

I'll raise a toe-st to that:beer:

Robert
March 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
From now on, you can call me "Toeny".

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
We'll never grow up - pretty cool huh?

warren0728
March 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
We'll never grow up - pretty cool huh?
yeah "toe"tally :beer:

ww

Jimi75
March 3rd, 2008, 02:46 AM
Maybe it has to do with your oversized veins ? :bravo:

Honestly, please go and see a doctor!

Spudman
March 3rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Try different shoes before spending dough on a doc.

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2008, 01:00 AM
This "toe"tally sucks big fat toes "Toe"ney.

Sincerely,

"Toe"n

Kazz
March 5th, 2008, 05:28 AM
plain and simple.....stop running...its bad for your health.

Robert
March 5th, 2008, 08:15 AM
No way Kazz!

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Kazz is right I keep telling you...running is bad on your body...period. Sure good for your cardio workout but when you're an old man or (sooner) your joints are going to pay for it.

Robert
March 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM
No way. It is the total opposite.

Justaguyin_nc
March 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
running is bad on your body...period..

Tone..I will have to agree with you once more..

I still think a good cigar while rocking on the front porch and watching the runners will add longer life to you and your body.

The rocking motion alone is enough for good circulation and will save your toes.

:AOK:

Robert
March 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thumbs down guys - you are starting to piss me off.

Spudman
March 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Kazz is right I keep telling you...running is bad on your body...period. Sure good for your cardio workout but when you're an old man or (sooner) your joints are going to pay for it.

What I've been saying all along is GET A BICYCLE. My feet and joints are perfect (except for the fading nail polish). :o
Cycling is:

low impact
no shin splints
if you cramp you can coast home
travel great distances in a short time
feels like flying
colorful clothes
higher intensity/quicker recovery
every ride is like a vacation/tourist jaunt
eat and drink while doing it
improves your sex life
makes you play guitar better
never complain about your toes hurting
chicks dig it
listen to music while riding
makes you better looking
makes you smarter
great excuse to shave and show your studly legs
you can have a conversation while doing it
great mental therapy
faster than running
lets you become a total gear junkie:)

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I am with you Robert. I have needed to modify my running in my 40's and want to pick up Galloway's book on running without injury, but it is good stuff for the body, mind and soul. Run on brother! Just go get that toe checked out.

Spud, you know I cycle too, but cross training with some running is I think good. Shorter workout and faster bang for buck in the work day, plus it is just different. I do want to land a new road bike for increasing my road cycle work though. And I am loving that 29'er I got last year out on the trails. (not yet this year, too snowy).

Justaguyin_nc
March 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Thumbs down guys - you are starting to piss me off.

Im not totally against running...

I still run to the bathroom quite often!! :thwap:

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I think your body is starting to piss you off Bobby not us! My stepfather is only 62 years old and he can barely walk! That's from years and years of running marathons, races, this and that, running after work, running at the recreation center etc. He would compete in every marathon or race there was you should see how many T-shirts, ribbons and trophies he's got and look at him now. It pains him to stand up off the couch! He's all screwed up and it's from high impact RUNNING.

Robert
March 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Don't get me started on this, please.... I don't believe at all that your stepfather have these problems because of running.
Read this -
http://arthritis.webmd.com/features/does-running-cause-arthritis

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Don't get me started on this, please.... I don't believe at all that your stepfather have these problems because of running.
Read this -
http://arthritis.webmd.com/features/does-running-cause-arthritis

Alright...3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and and truth. It's your toe!

oldguy
March 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
There used to be a doctor who lived here in our town. He died when he was in his 90's, I think. He was a skinny guy, about 5'9" tall, and he kept running until maybe a year before he passed away. It used to be said lifting weights would destroy your joints and leave you "muscle-bound", with no range of motion. (I'm talking strength training, not steroid shooting mass building pumpers.)
People who warmed up properly and did stretching exercises and proper cool downs never had such problems, and were actually more flexible and had better joints......... as long as they didn't overdo it. It took years of study and proof before most people would accept that as fact, tho. Many still don't believe it. That seems to follow with any exercise regimen.