PDA

View Full Version : Gas-ex!

KrisH
February 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM
In another thread I mentioned I was on the prowl for a short-scale fretless bass, but hadn't been finding anything interesting. I also mentioned I had an item on backorder from Musician's Friend for several months. Well, out of the blue, came to my door the answer to my dilemma -- an 18-inch scale fretless bass:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kholt81936/ashbory2.jpg

This Fender/DeArmond Ashbory bass is quite something. It's an odd little thing -- not really quite a guitar, but more than just an erstaz upright. You've probably seen mention of the silicon rubber strings, with a piezo pickup and a preamp. The "fretboard" is printed on, and is really a smooth glossy surface. It's really light, too, and all in all, feels kinda like a toy. But it has a surprisingly pretty decent sound. I've messed with it for a few evenings, pushing it through my pedal board and amps. And with the short-short scale, it's only about 5 inches longer than a full-size violin. Playing it is fun!

The cons: because the strings are silicon rubber, they tend to feel tacky, so you have to dust your fingers with talc or cornstarch, which can be a little messy. Also, the strings (particularly the d and g) stretch a LOT before they finally settle into a stable tuning. Finally, the D string (and sometimes the A) tends to buzz in the nut slot when played open hard, which I've discovered from other forums is an inherent problem with the instrument. But I found a non-obtrusive fix that only involves a little cotton from the end of a q-tip.

All in all, I think it's a fun little instrument, and since I used my discount coupon, worth the price paid. I'll post some sound clips in a day or two, so you can hear that it really is a serious, if unusual, instrument. I certainly wouldn't take it on a gig as my only bass (it has its limitations), but it could be used for some pieces.

Here's a photo of three basses together (18", 30.5" and 42" scaless):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/kholt81936/basses3.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Funky lil' number there.

The headstock is nearly the size of the body.

Silicon-rubber strings??? Never heard of them.

What is the argument for using them on this bass?

just strum
March 1st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Kris,

Interesting looking bass, I'm looking forward to hearing clips. Like that upright too.

Curious about the wall cover - is that for sound reduction? If yes, how well does it work?

KrisH
March 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
I think the silicon strings are because of the short scale. They can be thicker but without being too stiff, so a shorter length would vibrate at a lower frequency. The tension is negligible, compared to a steel string.

And yes Strum, the wall covering is to dampen out reflections when I'm playing or recording in there. It's a small room to begin with. The covering is nothing more than an inexpensive Walmart king-size comforter hung from ceiling to floor, one on each of the two largest parallel walls. It really helps deaden the space, but doesn't really make the room soundproof from outside noises.

KrisH
March 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Here's an attempt to link to some sound samples:

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w290/KrisH81936/?action=view&current=Ashbory_Samples.flv