PDA

View Full Version : Squier Master Series Esprit

ZMAN
March 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
I was just wondering if any of you owned this guitar. I have one in the Antique burst. It is a wonderful guitar. I have been a big fan of Robben Ford (his blues) for a while and I have an instructional video of him playing one of the original Esprits.
The only issue I have with the Squier is the hardware. For some reason they used a pewter color. After a couple of years they look awful. I love the Duncan Design hummbuckers on it. I am looking to do a hardware change and I am thinking either gold or nickel. I was just wondering if anyone here has one that they have modded the hardware. I am looking to find what tuners, bridges and stop bar will fit without modifications. Just a bolt up swap. I know the buckers are the same size as regular Gibson ones so I might drop in a set of 57s. Any help will be much appreciated.

Spudman
March 1st, 2008, 11:14 AM
Like an idiot I passed these up when they were being discontinued and could have gotten one for a reasonable price. I still keep hoping someday I'll find one in good shape within my budget. Wonderful guitar.

I have 2 other guitars with the Duncan Designed pickups and really like those guitars. No problems there.

Alright, I'll admit it Zman...I have guitar envy.

ZMAN
March 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Yes it is a sweet guitar. As usual I paid way too much for mine. I have only seen one up here in Canada and I bought it! I think I paid 699 Can for it. I think they are made by cort and it is a very nice piece. It has the DD pickups and I use it mainly tuned down a step for Robin Trower blues stuff.
It has a sealed chambered body and you can get some sweet tones out of her. I just can't stand the dull pewter hardware. When I purchased it I realized it was 1000 dollar guitar all day long in fit and finish. It has the typical Chinese tuners. They don't have the small screw on the back to hold them in place, so I am not sure which ones to buy. I had planned on just changing the pickup covers because I like the pickups so much. I am pretty sure the standard chinese bridge and stop will bolt right on. I am not sure whether to go with Gold or Nickel. I will post a pic and see what you guys think. I posted a couple of pics of the tuners and the bridge. You can see how dull they look.

FrankenFretter
July 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l5JNTb3WHS4/UeWyr-6ChGI/AAAAAAAAB1c/QgxSwY7QqgA/w439-h585-no/1.jpg

:)

FrankenFretter
July 16th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Yes it is a sweet guitar. As usual I paid way too much for mine. I have only seen one up here in Canada and I bought it! I think I paid 699 Can for it. I think they are made by cort and it is a very nice piece. It has the DD pickups and I use it mainly tuned down a step for Robin Trower blues stuff.
It has a sealed chambered body and you can get some sweet tones out of her. I just can't stand the dull pewter hardware. When I purchased it I realized it was 1000 dollar guitar all day long in fit and finish. It has the typical Chinese tuners. They don't have the small screw on the back to hold them in place, so I am not sure which ones to buy. I had planned on just changing the pickup covers because I like the pickups so much. I am pretty sure the standard chinese bridge and stop will bolt right on. I am not sure whether to go with Gold or Nickel. I will post a pic and see what you guys think. I posted a couple of pics of the tuners and the bridge. You can see how dull they look.

Did you ever replace the hardware? I don't actually mind the satin look, but it would be hard to match up if I ever have to replace one tuner or something.