PDA

View Full Version : Robin Trower blues fans

ZMAN
March 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Just wondering if there are any Robin Trower fans out there. I know he is a rock icon for his ealier albums but I have recently discovered the blues side of him. One of the best electric blues albums I have heard in a long time is his "Another Days Blues" album. Also his latest DVD " Living Out of Time "is amazing It is a live show done in a club so you get a pretty up close view of him playing all his great songs. He has a new singer Davie Pattison who sounds exactly like James Dewar who passed away in 2002. The new album is a remake of a couple of his older blues albums, 20th Century Blues and Someday blues.

Robert
March 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Trower is awesome! I like him a lot.

I tried his signature Strat one day, I really liked it. A sweet strat!

Spudman
March 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
New album and 2008 tour information.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=5654&highlight=new+robin+trower+album

Any fans? What do you think? ;)

tunghaichuan
March 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I've been a Robin Trower fan for over 20 years. I first saw him back in '86 in a small venue in Wichita, KS for free. A chick in my journalism class was reviewing the show and asked me if I wanted to go as she recieved a couple of complimentary passes. Guitar World just put out an article on him so I was up for it. The venue was fairly small but Trower still had four 100w Marshall stacks. It was louder than h*ll.

I got to see him again a few years later at the same venue, and sure enough four 100w Marshall stacks again. He put on a great show both times.

tung

marnold
March 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
My Trower knowledge is pretty much limited to "Bridge of Sighs," but that's a great album. I would really like to see him and Jack Bruce on tour together.

ZMAN
March 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have always maintained that Bridge of Sighs was one of the best rock albums of all time. I can't have Marshall stacks at home but I do have all of the pedals he uses now. They are mostly Fulltone. He plays with a non matched set of strings, very heavy, 12, 15,17,26,36,48. He also tunes down a whole step so that he can bend those heavy strings. I use the Mini deja vibe to get his tone. I haven't heard the Trower/Bruce one but I certainly will give it a listen. I have bridge of sighs on vinyl from the 70s, and I HAD to get it on CD. I am more amazed at his blues cds than anything. They are very good. The guy in the store where I bought the CD in Maine said that there isn't a bad song on the Another Days Blues CD and I agree.

birv2
March 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
I'm a big Trower fan. Glad to see him still touring and putting out great music -- I've heard lots of good things about his new CD with Jack Bruce.

I actually remember Trower from Procol Harum and saw them in concert at Atlantic City Pop Festival in the summer of 68. I was a big fan even then.

He's a good example of someone whose tone is instantly recognizable. Great stuff!

Bob

Spudman
March 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Victims Of The Fury and Back It Up were the mid career Trower albums that stuck best with me. Take What You Need and In The Line Of Fire I've listened to quite a bit as well. These 2 featured his current singer Davey Pattison who I first heard with Ronnie Montrose in Gamma. Good albums but I really missed James Dewar's soulful voice.

The BLT albums with Jack Bruce [BLT and Truce] have some of my favorite material of all the Trower releases. These came out the same period as my other favorites Victims and Back It Up. That is my favorite period of Trower music 1980 to 83.

player
March 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Another Days Blues is on my to get asap list.being it is blues I'll certainly get it:rockon:

ZMAN
March 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
As I said before the lastest Blues album is a rehash of his other blues albums, with his new band. After I heard Another Days blues, I went looking for his older blues albums, after listening to them on Amazon I realized he had covered all the songs on the previous albums and I didn't get them. Just a heads up to anyone who already has 20th Century, and Someday blues.

player
March 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
As I said before the lastest Blues album is a rehash of his other blues albums, with his new band. After I heard Another Days blues, I went looking for his older blues albums, after listening to them on Amazon I realized he had covered all the songs on the previous albums and I didn't get them. Just a heads up to anyone who already has 20th Century, and Someday blues.

Thanks for the heads up Z only trower I have at the moment is Bridge of Sighs so being the Blues lover I am getting Another Days can't hurt:dude:

bigoldron
March 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Check out the latest Guitar Player. They've got an interview with him and talk about his latest projects. Robin is still one of the best!