PDA

View Full Version : Truss Rod Adjustment

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Some say to adjust the rod with full tension on the neck. Some say to loosen the strings a bit. I fall into the latter group - about a 1/4 turn at a time, let it settle, and work from there.

What sayeth the gurus here?

just strum
March 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
I'm no guru, but I do it the same way as you describe.

luvmyshiner
March 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Since the purpose of the truss rod is to adjust neck bow which results from string tension, I adjust it with with full tension.

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm really paranoid about rounding out the head of the trussrod, so I'm thinking a little less tension when I tweak it will help prevent that. It's a little more work retuning and checking after the neck settles, but I've always done it this way.

luvmyshiner
March 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM
I see your point Plank. It's also interesting how guitars vary when it comes to adjusting the truss rod. On my more expensive guitars (which are still not very expensive) the truss rod turns very easily. On my D10S, which was only a $200 guitar, you have to apply a lot pressure to turn that little bugger. Now I am talking acoustics here. I've never adjusted the truss rod on my one, lonely little electric.

TS808
March 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've seen that a number of manufacturers and techs recommend adjusting the truss rod at anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn until you get the proper neck relief. You definitely don't want to over-tighten the truss rod, and you don't want too loose of a truss rod either where you can shoot an arrow with the neck of your guitar. Fender for example, recommends about .010 (the size of a high E string) relief at the 8th fret.

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I don't actually measure my neck relief. I'll eyeball the neck and check it by playing the guitar. If it feels good and nothing frets out, I know I'm there.

Dreadman
March 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Good discussion.

I've made literally hundreds of relief adjustments on guitars and have never once had a problem doing it with full string tension on. In fact I get better results quicker without letting the neck de-stress between adjustments.

I also change strings one at a time for the same reason.

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM
I get good results the way I do it, but I often wonder about doing it at full tension. The next time I do it, I'll try it at full tension.

just strum
March 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
I get good results the way I do it, but I often wonder about doing it at full tension. The next time I do it, I'll try it at full tension.

When I do something different then my normal process, I try to do it on someone else's guitar first.:D

Cal
March 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Full tension sounds a bit scary.

I'll stick to adjusting my truss rods while the strings are at concert pitch. ;)

robert43
March 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Some say to adjust the rod with full tension on the neck. Some say to loosen the strings a bit. I fall into the latter group - about a 1/4 turn at a time, let it settle, and work from there.

What sayeth the gurus here?
Dont do that with a bass I have see it done now the truss rod has to be adjusted via a screw drive wacked in to the truss rod