PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a relic'd guitar?

Lev
March 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
The reason I ask is that I'm seriously GASing for an LP. My budget won't streach to Gibson territory so while looking at the alternatives the Vintage Peter Green Lemon Drop guitar came across my radar. 'Vintage' are a brand that I've mentioned here before, they are designed by Trevor Wilkinson and come with Wilkinson PUPs, bridges, tuner etc. They are great value for money because they are manufactured in Vietnam but have quility parts and woods.

This particular model is based on Peter Green's LP which was subsequently owned by Gary Moore and I believe used extensively on the Still Got the Blues record. Anyway I can get this baby for €350euro (less than $500). Thats quite a bit less than even an Epiphone LP here in Ireland.

Anyway the only thing putting me off is the fact that it's relic'd, I'm not a huge fan of relics but I do think this guitar has a cool mojo about it.

Here's a review with some close up pics
http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/G&B%20DEC%20(V100MRPGM).pdf

Oh and of course, check out the sound... :rockon:

8MsK5pvOonI

Tell me what you think ???

marnold
March 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
If you like the way it plays and sounds then your question is answered. Personally, I think the relic thing is ridiculous. At least in this case you're not being gouged (pun intended) for it.

Iago
March 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I think you answered your own question Lev.. its looks good, despite me not liking relic'ed guitars too, but what I mean is.. for the price and features you just can go wrong.

I think I came across the Vintage brand before.. don't they make a Clapton "Blackie" and Cream-era SG copy too?

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
There is only one Lemon drop review, but I would read the review on various models to get an idea of the product they manufacture. I only read two models, I figure you're buying it, you can do the reading.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/brand/Vintage

I think there are better deals out there, but then again what is priced good here, may not be priced good where you are located.

Lev
March 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yep Iago, thay make relic'd starts too..
here's a full list of their range http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

I think I'm going to go for it, I've yet to find a bad review on the net and I'm blown away by the sound on that video. If it came non-relic'd I wouldn't give it a second thought. Funny how most people pay extra for relicing and it's the one thing that's putting me off.

Jipes
March 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Lev, to me it sounds really good, creamy tone with nice sustain and feedback friendly, I suppose the Orange Amp is playing quite a part in the great sound (as well as your experienced fingers) it really sounds like a cool axe. I try a Vintage Strat and it was also sounding great so why not ;)

Lev
March 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
There is only one Lemon drop review, but I would read the review on various models to get an idea of the product they manufacture. I only read two models, I figure you're buying it, you can do the reading.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/brand/Vintage

I think there are better deals out there, but then again what is priced good here, may not be priced good where you are located.

Thanks Strum, there's 3 more HC reviews here http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Vintage/V100MRPGM+Lemon+Drop/10/1 and I've found positive forum chats around the net on this guitar. I also bought a Vintage PRS copy for my nephew about a year ago and was very impressed with the quality so I do have confidence in the brand. The only decision for me is on the relic'd finish.

Lev
March 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Lev, to me it sounds really good, creamy tone with nice sustain and feedback friendly, I suppose the Orange Amp is playing quite a part in the great sound (as well as your experienced fingers) it really sounds like a cool axe. I try a Vintage Strat and it was also sounding great so why not ;)

Thanks Jipes - just to point out that ain't me in the video (I wish it was :D ). I haven't played the guitar yet so I'd be buying it blind over the net.

Adrian30
March 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Considering the price and the quality (of sound on the video), I would go for it.
Yes it is "reliced", and I'm personally not a fan of artificial relics, but it seems like a good guitar and, it comes as it comes - "reliced", so why not.

sunvalleylaw
March 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
If it is a guitar you otherwise like and it fits the bill, go for it. I would not buy a guitar because it was relic'd, but I would not let that stop me if I liked it.

Rocket
March 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'd be cautious about warranty & such. I'm a stickler for iron-clad warranty.

Lev
March 3rd, 2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks all - trigger has been pulled :beer:
I want to get in some loud LP rockin before Lev Junior arrives in April & the sleepless nights begin.

I'll post a youtube vid when it arrives.

Plank_Spanker
March 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Lev,

If the guitar does what you need it to do, then it's all good - relic or not.

Congrats!

I don't have issues with relics per se, but I just don't get it, especially when the price reflects the extra "work", or the abuse is performed by some shop specializing in "relic'ing" guitars.

A new guitar that looks like it was thrown in an industrial dryer with a bunch of chains and the hardware soaked in salted battery acid is just beyond me.

pes_laul
March 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
My thoughts on relics are If they play good thats what matters and you can always paint it or something. I would rather play it till It looks like that:rockon:

Lev
March 4th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Lev,

I don't have issues with relics per se, but I just don't get it, especially when the price reflects the extra "work", or the abuse is performed by some shop specializing in "relic'ing" guitars.

A new guitar that looks like it was thrown in an industrial dryer with a bunch of chains and the hardware soaked in salted battery acid is just beyond me.

I agree 100% - I'm not actually paying extra for the relic'ing in this case, that's just the way it comes as it's a tribute to the Peter Green/Gary Moore Model. So my conscience is eased in that respect, there's no way I would pay extra for a relic.

The main benefit of this relic job is the wear on the back of the neck gives it a satin feel which is very difficult to find in this price bracket.

I got an email today from the store to say that the guitar is out of stock and they need to order me one, hopefully it won't take too long!! :(

Kazz
March 4th, 2008, 05:50 AM
The sound is great....for under 500 I would probably buy it....Washburn did a relicd Idol guitfiddle that I thought was awesome....but I won that gas battle...for now.

I do like the $800 lower end Gibson All Mahogany Les Paul and the Menace Les Paul that is about 900....and the BFG...so who knows

Bloozcat
March 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't go out and pay new price for a beat-up piece of equipment, be it a car, a washer, a television, stereo, amp....or a guitar. That's just me. If it's new, I want it to look new, and stay new looking for as long as I can maintain it.

Think of it this way. What do you think would be worth more, a vinatge 1950's guitar that was in mint condition, or one that was beat-up? Seems to me that anything that is collectable is worth more in pristine condition than in heavily worn condition.

But, to each his own. Some like new looking guitars. Some like new guitars that they relic themselves with years of use (and maybe abuse), with a story behind every ding and dent. And some like the look of a guitar with stories to tell, but don't want to wait to slowly create them themselves.

JJ Gross
March 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I buy relics, then I put them away so they stay mint condition. :D :rotflmao:

Seriously, like others have said, if it feels and sounds good, who cares what it looks like?

If it's not an investment, play the snot out of it and put your own relicing on it. Eventually, all guitars that have been played and loved like they were intended, in the hands of players, all look the same.

Cheers,
- JJ

mark wein
March 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
After I own a guitar for a year or so its effectively "Relic'd" anyway...:o

If it plays good, sounds good and fits in your budget, go for it....