PDA

View Full Version : Hello,...Need help getting started.

Pongo
March 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hello all,

I just want to introduce myself to everyone, and ask for a bit of advice at the same time.

I'm looking at buying my first electric guitar soon, but I need a slight push in the right direction. I'm 38, and I've never touched a guitar in my life, so I don't feel I can walk into a store and try things out. My end goal is to be able to play some things purely for my own entertainment.

I figure my budget to be around $300. I'd like to keep it around that or less if possible. Since I'm starting from scratch, I will need at least the guitar, amp, and tuner to fit in that range.

Anyways, I've been looking a lot at the Squier HSS affinity packs. They have one that comes with a bullet 150 amp, and another that comes with a GDEC junior. I like the GDEC junior, but that version busts my budget by a bit. I'm thinking about looking at a used guitar with something like the GDEC junior to keep within my budget. This is where the inexperience comes in again. I'm a bit afraid to walk into a used shop and find something that works for me. I simply don't know enough about what I am looking at to know whether it is decent or not.

To be honest, at this point I'm not even sure what styles I want to play. I like Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff, and growing up in the 80's means that I would like to be able to create some metal sounds as well. This is why I'm looking at the HSS version over the SSS version. (I'm thinking that it will give a better options for distortion sounds) I have no particular attachment to any brand, so I'd like to hear any suggestions. I like the 2 amps mentioned because they affer me a variety of effects to play around with, and I'm open to anything that does something similar.

Thanks for listening.

mrmudcat
March 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Welcome!!Im sure others can help you on guitar choices!!

marnold
March 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a HSS would be a good choice. Do you have any friends who play guitar? They could help when you go shopping to determine if one is good or not. You might also want to check out SX guitars at Rondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.net). I know that Robert has an SX Strat pack. I've played the Ibanez Strats that come with their packs. It was surprisingly nice.

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Hello Pongo,

You are about to get a lot of opinions, so you will have to sort it out. Each of us have our own thoughts on the subject and some of our opinions will cross over. I'm relatively a beginner so rather than recommendations, I will give you comments and opinion on where you are headed.

1) While you may like SRV and 80's stuff, your music variety is about to open up. However, considering that is where you want to start, I would agree a Squier would be a option. I would also check out guitars at Rondo Music http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html as another place to look.

2) Try to save your budget, but don't skimp to the point you pick up a crappy guitar because it will discourage you from progressing. You should be able to easily get a guitar below $300. Find a friend to help out or post questions here as you get interest in specific models.

3) I have a Fender 150 - my opinion, they suck. I'm not sure about the other you noted, but I viewed it on one of the web stores and it has nice features. Again, there are people here that can point you in the right direction, but they will be several directions.

So, with that said - welcome, I think you will find this place helpful, friendly and fun. Good luck on your journey of learning guitar and remember, it's meant to be enjoyable.

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Looks like marnold and I are on the same page, but I'm a slower typist.

jasongins
March 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Pongo...

I was exactly in your position a little more than a year ago. I was a 33 year old beginner with no idea what to get, and the guitar stores seemed a little too "scary." I wound up ordering a Squier '51 for $99 based on Robert's videos of it at www.dolphinstreet.com, a small practice amp, a cable, a strap, and a tuner - all for a little under $300. I've since moved on from the amp, but still have and play the Squier '51 despite that I don't sound like Robert. What is your practice situation? I ask this because I have a family that is trying to sleep at the times I have available to practice, so I can barely use my amp in my house. I practice in the room where my computer is, so I use my headphones with my Line 6 Toneport GX most of the time. Toneport GX (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Toneport-GX-USB-Recording-Interface?sku=241406) is a box you plug into your PC via USB and comes with software that emulates many different amps and effects, sounds great, a tuner is built into the software, and it does much more than I mentioned all for just $69.

I would think a Squier HSS strat would be a good choice, but I am not an expert. I would recommend making sure you pick a guitar you like so that you will be inclined to pick it up and play it.

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Oh, one more thing - should you stick with it, this is not going to be the last guitar and amp you buy.

Have you ever heard of the guitar gear term GAS? You should acquaint yourself with it now.

When Tot comes along he will explain it to you if you are not aware of what it means.:rotflmao:

luvmyshiner
March 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hey Pongo, welcome aboard. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks around here with good information. They'll have you playing in no time.

Dreadman
March 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Welcome to The Fret Pongo.

Something to consider - You can get a guitar and amp for $300 but if you stick with playing you'll outgrow both at some point. If it's at all possible to double that amount you can find a guitar and amp that will still make you proud years later.

warren0728
March 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
welcome pongo....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
March 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Welcome Pongo! The SX packs are not bad for the money. The little SX amp also sounds pretty good.

street music
March 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Welcome and lesson to these guys, it might be your first but if you have the desire it WILL NOT BE YOUR LAST.:rockon:

Childbride
March 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
hiya, Pongo... this is a great place.

good luck on your journey, never give up, and these guys/gals are the greatest with support and information.

have fun! :rockon:

Pongo
March 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Wow,... thanks for all the responses, now I have a bunch of new things to research.

At this point I'm taking all the info I can get. It's better to have to sort through a bunch than not knowing anything.

As for my home situation, it sounds very similar to what jasongins said,... I have 2 kids now with a 3rd arriving in the fall. My practice time will be mostly at night when everyone else is sleeping, so I'm planning on using headphones quite a bit.

Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

Kodiak3D
March 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
When I first started this was my order summary from Musiciansfriend.com:
(July of '06)

1 20 Foot Musicians Gear Instrument Cable 1/4" Straight 20 Foot $3.99
1 Blue Moto Medium Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks Medium $2.99
1 Behringer GM110 V-Tone Analog Modeling Combo Amp $69.99
1 2-Tone Sunburst Squier by Fender Affinity Series Stratocaster Special Electric Guitar 2-Tone Sunburst $149.99
1 Fender Standard Gigbag for Strat/Tele $0.00 (free at the time)
1 Musician's Friend CT440 Chromatic Tuner $14.99
1 Fender Mist and Wipe by Meguiar s $7.99
1 Black Musician's Gear Tubular Guitar Stand $7.99

Grand total with shipping: $257.93

The only thing I might recommend is getting a lightly better amp. The Behringer did the job, but it wasn't that impressive. The Line 6 Spider III seems popular, and is only $99. That would STILL roll you in under $300.

I DID, however, forget to order a strap...about $15 for a decent one.

just strum
March 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
When I first started this was my order summary from Musiciansfriend.com:
(July of '06)

1 20 Foot Musicians Gear Instrument Cable 1/4" Straight 20 Foot $3.99
1 Blue Moto Medium Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks Medium $2.99
1 Behringer GM110 V-Tone Analog Modeling Combo Amp $69.99
1 2-Tone Sunburst Squier by Fender Affinity Series Stratocaster Special Electric Guitar 2-Tone Sunburst $149.99
1 Fender Standard Gigbag for Strat/Tele $0.00 (free at the time)
1 Musician's Friend CT440 Chromatic Tuner $14.99
1 Fender Mist and Wipe by Meguiar s $7.99
1 Black Musician's Gear Tubular Guitar Stand $7.99

Grand total with shipping: $257.93

The only thing I might recommend is getting a lightly better amp. The Behringer did the job, but it wasn't that impressive. The Line 6 Spider III seems popular, and is only $99. That would STILL roll you in under $300.

I DID, however, forget to order a strap...about $15 for a decent one.

that first strum - priceless

oldguy
March 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Pongo! Glad you joined us here.
The SX guitars are a good value.
The Microcube amphs are good, also.
You might want to research whatever amph you end up buying to be sure it has a headphone output. Nice for when you don't want to wake the family.

tot_Ou_tard
March 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Have you ever heard of the guitar gear term GAS? You should acquaint yourself with it now.

When Tot comes along he will explain it to you if you are not aware of what it means.:rotflmao:
Not me, but I see a monkey mumbling something about TONE under his breath.

Pongo, I know exactly where you're at. I started playing a little over 2 years ago at 44, having never played any instrument at all in my life.

Those guitar stores are SCARY for a newb. People always say bring a guitar playing friend (eg Marnold) & that is an excellent idea *if* you have a guitar playing friend.

What I did was get a used Godin ($150)

actually 2 of them ;)

on eBaY (my first eBaY purchase). They are still my only guitars & I like them alot.

(yes, yes, I know Monkey-boy. I *need* a new axe...tone & whatnot n' such. Now be quiet!)

They are very good guitars for the price. I'd also look at the Xaviere guitars, you can get one for $149.

I'd see if you could push that budget a bit (especially for guitar + amp). You are about to spend alot of time with your new friends.

The headphone bit is key for a beginner. It's not just about waking the family. Headphones help you not be shy about all the mistakes & clams your are about to make.

I spent most of the first two years using headphones through a VOX Tonelab. I much prefer playing through an amp, but it's a godsend when my wife wants it quiet, or I'm learning something new & don't care to broadcast my fumblings.

Adrian30
March 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Pongo!
I was in a very similar situation in 2002. I ended up getting an Ibanez jumptart package. I liked the playability of the guitar, especially the thin neck for my beginner's fretting hand.

In the meantime I got rid of, pretty much all the pieces from that package, except for a fuzz pedal and cables. So, if I was to do it again, I would go for a guitar and an amp of slightly higher quality, keepers - in other words.

In either instance, you'll get a ton of good advice.

scgmhawk
March 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I would agree with stretching your budget as much as you can. The better equipment you get, the more you will want to play and the better it will sound. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Xaviere guitars for under $200. You will probably want to spend a minimum of $150 for a decent amp, and an amp with modeling will give you a variety of tones to also keep your interest and allow you to play a variety of styles.

Good luck in your search.

magoo
March 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Welcome pongo, looks like you came to the right place.:beer:

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Pongo! Glad to have you here. :AOK:

You may want to spend just a little bit more than $300, in order to get something that will last you a little while. I haven't been impressed by the Affinity Squiers, but their Standard models are really excellent values, at least the ones I've played. Here's a nice one with a bridge humbucker:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Black-and-Chrome-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=511944

As far as an amp goes, there are many, many choices available in solid state models. A favorite around here is the Vox Valvetronix series of modeling amps, with eleven different amp models and eleven effects combos. This gives you a lot of flexibility for a very reasonable price. I have the AD30VT, but you could get into the smaller AD15VT (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958) for $200 or less. Go down to your local GC or other favorite music store and wave some cash under their noses, and I'll bet you could walk out with that guitar & amp for well under $400.... :rockon:

Cal
March 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Welcome Pongo! :D

I have no suggestions as I haven't moved over to the dark side (electric) yet... but if/when I do, I know for sure I'm in the right place for advice. ;)

Happy future playing! :)

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM

I have no suggestions as I haven't moved over to the dark side (electric) yet...
But your father already has Cal Skywalker. :D

just strum
March 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM

I have no suggestions as I haven't moved over to the dark side (electric) yet... but if/when I do, I know for sure I'm in the right place for advice. ;)

Happy future playing! :)

We'll be waiting for you.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/vader.jpg

Dreadman
March 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I remember that pic from your first album Strum

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/DarthStrummy.jpg

just strum
March 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Wow, we were young lads back then. We were playing the dark, damp caverns in Hamburg. All was going well until R2D2 hooked up with that Japanese robot that claimed to be an "artist".

Pongo
March 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Oh man,... I don't come back for a bit and look how fast things go off track! :)

Anyways, I just wanted to stop back in quick to say thanks again. Unfortunately work has taken over all my time the last few days, so I have not had the time to look things up the way I want to.

I did look a bit at the Toneport GX, and I really like what I see. That may definitely be an option for me since I will be on headphones almost exclusively to start out. The one thing I don't like about it is being attached to my computer though. (Both a blessing and a curse) Sometimes my wife is on the computer for extended hours when I could be playing, and also the computer room is probably not the best room I could practice in. What about something like the Pocket pod? Anyone have any opinions on that?

I'm trying to figure out what my amp situation will be before the guitar right now. My guitar list keeps changing by the day, and probably will keep changing until I finally get to go buy the thing. Hopefully it will be very soon because I really want to get going. Too much pesky work getting in the way at the moment though.

Thanks again.

Katastrophe
March 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm late to the party, but welcome!

Any of the POD products will work for your purposes... and they sound great, too. I had a Digitech RP80 that I would plug in headphones to practice with, and it worked fine. Eventually, I would bet that you would get GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) for an amp. I would recommend the Vox Valvetronix range, as they sound great, and offer a lot of amp for the money. I would not feel underamped with any of the Line 6 amps, either. Tube amps are getting downright inexpensive now, with the major manufacturers rushing to get a low watt tube amp on the shelves. I really like the sound of the Epiphone Valve Junior head/cabinet combo for $249. It's as simple to operate as it gets, with just a volume knob. Fender also makes the GDEC series of amps, with built in rhythm sections for practicing. I had a blast playing one of these recently, and the rhythms (bass and drums) could be a good learning tool for staying on time.

As for guitars, any of the major brand manufacturers will have a decent entry level guitar in their lineup. I've played some Squires and an entry level Ibanez or two, and both seem to have decent quality. Of course, they have to cut costs somewhere, and it's usually going to be in the area of tuners, bridges, the nut, and pickups. All of those things can be changed, and there is tons of information from our other Fretters on how to do it.

The SX line at Rondo music seems to be of good quality for the money, based on the reviews that I've read. At the very least you would be purchasing solid wood bodies and maple necks. Robert should have a clip or two of his SX on his site, and he sounds fantastic playing it. Tremoloman also has purchased several, and has posted in depth reviews on them. Price range on their strat type copies runs from about $100.00 to about $130.00.

JJ Gross
March 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome,
As a long time pro player I'd recommend new guitarists looking at a Strat type guitar to just look for a used Mexican Fender Strat right off the bat. CraigsList.org for your area is a good place to start, I've bought several that I use gigging for under $250, some with hard cases in that price. Spend another $40 or so on a good setup at a place that 'band guys' recommend. Hit a couple local music bars on Saturday night and ask the players in the bands who does the work on their guitars. Most of them actually do setups themselves and might do like I do and charge $25 for a good basic setup. Any guitar you buy new needs a setup anyway so you might as well factor that into the price. Many cheap guitars need a LOT of setup. The better quality guitar you start with the less you'll likely spend on getting it to it's 'playable best'.

Buying a good used guitar to start makes good sense for several reasons.
* 1. Buy a new Squier and walk out the door. Put it up for sale one hour later and it's worth about 1/3 what you paid for it. CL is full of nearly brand new guitar Starter packs that someone paid $250+ for that the seller is asking close to that. One week later the price has dropped to $200, then $150, then it actually sells for about $100 or even less. Buy a Fender Mexican Strat used for $250 and sell it that day (or any day) for the same price, sometimes even more. Auction sites and classified are full of Fender Strats for $250 if you keep your eyes open. I'm not anti-Squier, I have one I really like, but I bought it at closeout for $100 and I can get that for it anyday since it's a desirable model (it's a Squier '51). I buy used Squiers all the time as giveaways for my band promos. I never spend more than $60 on them, and we've given away 12 of them in the last 5 years.

* 2. Buy a cheap guitar and you might never know how good a guitar can feel in your hands. My first guitar was an abomination that should have been used as firewood, not a musical instrument. I paid too much for it and it made my fingernails bleed. I was a kid and didn't know any better and was determined to play guitar no matter how much it hurt. Then after about 2 years I bought an old beat up Stratocaster for $180 and couldn't believe what I had been missing. I screwed my first guitar to the wall in a barn my band played parties in and left it there.

* 3. If you spend a little more on a better quality and better value guitar, there are decent used practice amps all over the place for $50, often less. I just bought a Fender Champion 30 on CraigsList for $25. That's a $300 amp new and I see Fender Frontman 25W practice amps all the time for $50, and those are dang good little amps.

Forget amps with effects in them for now. Until you learn how to play, adding noise isn't likely to help you get better faster. In fact, many players use effects as a crutch to cover sloppy playing. Learn & practice clean, add distortion when you can actually play simple solos and add other goodies when it adds to the quality of a good playing style, not just covering slop and making funny noises.

I have a POD and like it, but it sure is easy to forget what I'm doing and play around with all the Swirly-Girly effects in them and blow off any actual practicing I'd planned on. Many small amps have headphone jacks on them and can be used 'out loud' as well as silently. Shop around and don't be put off by brands at this point in your guitar experience. Crate, Peavey, Laney, Fender, Marshall, Line6 and others all make cheap practice amps with headphone jacks on them for silent practice. And none of them require use of a computer. Save that stuff for later when you actually outgrow the little amp. You might find a use for it forever, many players do even when they move on and up in scale and power of their amps.

Compare what you're looking at on ebay in the completed auctions to see if you're getting hosed on price. Amps that go for $50 used are almost always better than amps that go for $50 brand new, especially if you can only find one or two guys selling that particular (off) brand.

Buy a Squeir if you really want one, but you'll take a big depreciation on it out the door if it's new. I'd recommend buying one of those for a present for a little kid because they can go to the store with you and get excited about picking out their new guitar and amp. The extra cost/loss is worth it to see the look on their faces. If you're buying one for yourself in your late 30s, buy smart & used, and spend the savings on a really cool strap with naked ladies on it.
:dude:

My 2 cents & all that.

Cheers,
- JJ

Dreadman
March 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Great post JJ. I second all of it. :AOK:

peachhead
March 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Welcome Pongo :beer: I recently started playing at age 40, so you've already got some years on me. This place has some great folks- you'll love it.

Oh, and go ahead and go to Sam's or somewhere and buy a case of Rolaids. GAS is gonna get ya before you know it....

p.s and go count your wife's shoes. Trust me! :D

Pongo
March 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Nah,... she doesn't have that many shoes, unless she's hiding them somewhere! I bought her a pinball machine last year though, so maybe she still owes me? Unfortunately it still doesn't come close to all the cash I spent on racing before we were married, so I guess not.

Anyways, it looks like I'll try to buy *something* tomorrow. I'm pretty much set on the pocket pod right now. I tend to agree with what JJ said about the effects stuff, but to be honest that is something I really want to play with, and it's so nice and portable it will work great for me.

That leaves me about $200 for a guitar.

Here are some options I've seen: (Opinions welcome)
-Squire Standard series HSS $199 This is up from the affinity ones I was looking at before. (better?, worth it?)

-Ibanez GSA60 or Yamaha 112 don't know anything about these, but are in the right price range.

- Squier "made in Mexico" available at a used shop for $150. 3 single coils.

- Hohner OSC Again, don't know anything about this, but I saw it at a used place and liked the look. This one is brand new and priced at $199. I haven't been able to find out much about it by searching other than it seems to have sold for higher than that (discontinued model?)

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I'm not driving you too crazy by ignoring it.

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
There are some Squire experts here that can tell you more, and one I know is also an Ibanez expert. I'll let him weigh in there. I also am a semi newb, just starting in my 40s a year and 3/4 ago. I went with a nicer Mexican Fender strat, and have loved it. It was $450 barely used from a local musician. There are some really nice Squire options out there too. But I was personally glad I purchased what I did. If I were you, I might keep looking at decent used MIM Fenders, but try to stay '06 and newer. There were some significant upgrades to the bridge block and some other stuff that year.

Here is a link to an auction I just found for one like mine. No affiliation, etc. Just an example auction for an option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-60th-Anniversary-Strat-Made-in-Mexico-NR_W0QQitemZ110228868614QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38082QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Spudman
March 5th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Go by www.rondomusic.com (http://www.rondomusic.com) and see what you can get for 200.

Brian Krashpad
March 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Welcome. Squier or the SX knockoffs at rondomusic.com are both good choices.

Here's another option-- if you don't have an acoustic yet, get one of those first. It gives you some advantages. First, you can sink your whole budget into the instrument without having to buy an amp as well. Second, if you learn on an acoustic, playing electric a little later will be cake. Not so vice-versa.

As with any other product, buying used will get you more guitar for your dollar.

JJ Gross
March 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I still think you need to search for a Mexican Fender Strat on Craigslist. I see them for $200 - $250 all the time. In fact I have 2 of them here I got for that I use gigging. But if you want a Squier, instead for the same price, go for it.

scgmhawk
March 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I don't know if you're like me, Pongo, and like to buy "new" stuff. If so, I might agree with Spud about Rondo. At a $200 budget, I have read (I don't own) a lot of positive reviews about the Agile line there. They have a forum as well and people there rave about these guitars for the price. OR, just throw your budget out the window and buy one of everything that's been recommended (all great suggestions btw)! Good luck.

Tynee
March 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Pongo, Welcome to The Fret.

I am a Newb as well, both to guitar, and to the board. I'm homing in on my first acoustic purchase. I was a bit intimidated by the guitar shops at first as well, but my advice is find sometime on a weekday afternoon when there is noone in them, find one that you like, and find a salesman (or better yet, manager/owner) that you like and feel is trustworthy to give you honest and knowledgable advice. If they act like they don't have time for you, this is not where you want to buy a guitar anyway. I've got a shop across the street from my house where I carry my son in his carseat into the store, sit down with 5 or 6 different guits, and mess around practicing chords and stuff on them all until he wakes up. I've decided that this is where I'm going to buy my guitar, its just a matter of when.

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Second, if you learn on an acoustic, playing electric a little later will be cake. Not so vice-versa.

I'd say that is exactly why getting an electric first is the best bet. It helps to lower the "barre" early so you can progress quickly. Once you're hooked, you're hooked & you'll brave any challenge.

Pongo
March 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I finally took the plunge this last Thursday. I ended up going with what felt best at the time, and I'm very happy with things so far.

I managed to get blisters on 3 fingers right away the first night, but they have gone away now and haven't come back yet. Unfortunately I've been working long hours and getting over being sick so I haven't had as much time as I would like. Right now I'm trying to get my fingers into the right positions playing some chords, just to get used to things for a bit. As soon as things clear up a bit I'm going to try to find a book or instructional DVD to get started with.

Kodiak3D
March 8th, 2008, 08:50 PM
So what did you end up with?

Pongo
March 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
For the amp I bought a pocket pod, and for the guitar I ended up going with the Hohner OSC archtop.

Here's the guitar,... I got the black version.
http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1537

I honestly don't know if it was the "best" choice, but it seemed like the nicest guitar for my budget. So far I really like it a lot, but I'm sure that would have been true with anything.

Kodiak3D
March 8th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Well, I know absolutely nothing about them, but it looks nice.

If you like it and it makes oyu want to play it, then it was a good choice in my book! :rockon:

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Well, I know absolutely nothing about them, but it looks nice.

If you like it and it makes oyu want to play it, then it was a good choice in my book! :rockon:
all i know is i think prince plays a honer tele style guitar....if it's good enough for him they are probably alright....like kodiak says....if it feels good to you than it is a good choice!

ww

Pongo
March 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I actually spent a few days thinking about it before I finally made the decision. I don't have any brand loyalty at this point, but I was a bit afraid to go with something I had never heard of. Fortunately I saw a lot of positive comments about it through a bit of searching the web.

I had been looking so much at strats that I thought for sure I would go for one of those, but If I keep at this I'm sure I'll eventually buy another guitar, and at that time I'll be able to try things out a bit more to help decide.

I've been doing some more playing around tonight. Loving every second of it! I really need to get some training materials soon!

Kodiak3D
March 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Well, the book I'm learning from is Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method Grade 1. It teaches to read music and goes one string at a time. It says it's "Modern" guitar, but it really has a more classical approach.

I've really felt like I've learned a lot and I've only been at it for about 3 weeks. Of course I've also looked around on the net for some guitar tabs to songs I like and worked on them as well.

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Congrats Pongo! I know nothing about that guitar, but it sure looks nice, and I really believe in buying the one that feels right to you. Welcome to the journey!

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
For the amp I bought a pocket pod, and for the guitar I ended up going with the Hohner OSC archtop.

Here's the guitar,... I got the black version.
http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1537

I honestly don't know if it was the "best" choice, but it seemed like the nicest guitar for my budget. So far I really like it a lot, but I'm sure that would have been true with anything.
Very interesting choice Pongo!

Did you get the ARCH I or the ARCH II?

ie is there a humbucker or single coil at the neck?

It's not clear (at least to me) whether these are solid body with an arched cap, or hollow or semi-hollw. Do you know?

Pongo
March 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Mine has the HSH configuration.

The body is all solid.

Pongo
March 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
here are a few pics.

warren0728
March 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
nice looking guitar pongo....i'm sure you will love it!

ww

Kodiak3D
March 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Nice axe! I really like the finish on it.

street music
March 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Nice axe there man, I'm sure you will enjoy it and I'm sure if you check out Mark's web site you will find plenty of lessons that can help you.
:AOK:

Pongo
March 9th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Nice axe there man, I'm sure you will enjoy it and I'm sure if you check out Mark's web site you will find plenty of lessons that can help you.
:AOK:

What web site is this?

street music
March 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
www.markwein.com
He has a lot of good lessons there.:dude:http://www.dolphinstreet.com/ is Roberts site and it too has some great lessons.

peachhead
March 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Nice looking guit, Pongo! I can only echo what everyone else said, as long as you like playing it, that's what counts.
For what it's worth, the DVD I picked up to start with was Fender- Getting Started, with Keith Wyatt. I have enjoyed it and I feel like it gave me a good foundation so I didn't feel as lost when I started lessons.
I also spent a lot of time online- there are a ton of free video lessons out there.

Good luck and sweet playing!

:bravo: