PDA

View Full Version : If you started from scratch ...

djmcconnell
March 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'd love your input on this scenario:

I play acoustic guitar now and am starting to play electric more in a worship band (I want to be more versatile). With the exception of a Boss TU-2 tuner, I own no pedals, nor do I have an acoustic amp.

I'd kind of like to go with one acoustic amp (kinda have my eye on the Roland AC-90) that would allow me to plug acoustic into channel 1, and my electric via a Pod X3 (or the like) into Channel 2.

I could simplify to one amp (for space at home and ease of setup), avoid buying a bunch of pedals, and still get some great tones out of the electric through.

Is this just crazy talk, or a sound approach?

Spudman
March 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a smart approach for what you want to accomplish. Maybe down the road after you have plugged into a great tube amp and a great overdrive pedal you'll change your mind. But for slimplicity what you speak of should get good results.

Justaguyin_nc
March 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hmmm.. last few years I been there.. digital Boxes.. then pedals and tube amps..

Started again...
Toneport if computer connected thru a stereo or heaphones.. or a podxt, live or 3... anyofthem thru a solidstate poweramp.
maybe a Variax for all sounds..(still havent gotten one though)

But.. Renman use of a hellhound tube amp.. I fell for it.. there's nothing like cranking it with an overdrive.. or clean for that matter.. will probably be the last amp I get rid of someday..

decisions... there never ending..

djmcconnell
March 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
I think you're probably both right: that this would be a stepping stone for me -- particularly if I progress with my skills the way I hope I will.

Point on headphones is well taken since I will be practicing at night many times, I don't want to wake the family. The Roland's a stereo amp, too, so that would sound pretty cool.

Dave