PDA

View Full Version : So what should I build next??

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Just thinking about which vintage effect clone I'll build next, now that I've discovered those nice GGG circuit boards. I've been looking through their offerings, and I've basically got it down to a choice between clones of a Tycobrahe Octavia (fuzz octave-up a la Purple Haze) or a Boss Slow Gear SG-1 (volume swell). The former is an easier build, but I just did a fuzz effect, so I'm kind of leaning toward the latter. That swell effect is quite different from anything I own, and you certainly don't see a lot of these pedals. Not surprising, since Boss only made 'em from '79 - '82.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask you Fretters what you think--Octavia, Slow Gear, or something else? Of course, I reserve the right to ignore you all and go with my gut! (BTW--Tot, as usual, you don't get a vote. ;) )

sunvalleylaw
March 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I voted slow gear. But I was tempted to say some kind of delay!

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Raises hand....

You could build a Uni-Vibe clone....:o

Ok, ok...then, maybe a Fultone Deja Vibe II clone....:AOK:

(There's one wise guy in every crowd, huh, DVM...;) )

Spudman
March 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
I've been thinking of approaching you about an Octavia, but after I heard how anemic they sound I changed my mind. I can get a close approximation with more balls from the EX7.

So now I'm thinking a versatile TB phaser would be cool.

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
You could build a Uni-Vibe clone
Funny you should mention that, because the third effect I was considering was the NeoVibe, a Uni-Vibe clone. I just don't feel like building that one next. I hear that the lamp/photo resistor piece can be a real b*tch to get to work properly. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bite it off sometime this year, but not as my next DIY pedal project. But thanks for the suggestion....wise guy! ;) :D

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I've been thinking of approaching you about an Octavia, but after I heard how anemic they sound I changed my mind.
From the comments on the GGG site, apparently a lot of people find that the fuzz on this effect overpowers the octave-up. I assume that's what you're referring to by "anemic"? The GGG circuit allows the installation of a "PreGain" adjustment that wasn't present on the original Octavia. They recommend backing off some on both the PreGain and Intensity controls to let the octave-up effect come through and generate that elusive Hendrixian sound. You can also wire in a toggle switch that cuts out the octave completely, and use it as a straight fuzz pedal.

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Funny you should mention that, because the third effect I was considering was the NeoVibe, a Uni-Vibe clone. I just don't feel like building that one next. I hear that the lamp/photo resistor piece can be a real b*tch to get to work properly. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to bite it off sometime this year, but not as my next DIY pedal project. But thanks for the suggestion....wise guy! ;) :D

Hey, anytime you need a ridiculously difficult suggestion, I'm here for ya'...:D

...not that I'm offering to try it myself, mind you...;)

Tone2TheBone
March 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
I think the Octavia would be kinda cool. That way when you realize you have 2 fuzzes you'd feel the need to just give me one of them cause you've got too many. Yup.

Robert
March 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Octavia - OF COURSE! There really isn't any other option for you, Vood. Trust me. :D

M29
March 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Octavia I love em:D

M29

warren0728
March 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
i voted other....but i'm sure anything you build would be cool....

i'm in a strange phase where i am trying to re-evaluate what i really want for gear....more so with my amphs than my guitars

now that i live in a townhouse (man i miss my music room) i can't really play loud....my ad30vt works pretty good for low volume but i think i am going to start playing through headphones more and as we all know the ad30vt line out sucks....i can't crank my valve jr let alone my classic 20.

How about building a cool preamp type box to use with headphones?

ww

oldguy
March 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Build a talk-box and make some clips to "tell" us how you like it. "do...you....feel"
Or a Rangemaster..........

Justaguyin_nc
March 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I would like to see/hear an Electric Mistress in a smaller box..

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hey, guys!! How can THREE of you tell me to build an Octavia, and it's only got ONE vote up there right now?!? :confused: :thwap:

Robert
March 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
I can manipulate things behind the scene, since I'm the admin. Just so that I get what I want.... :D
Regardless, I voted Octavia fo sho!

luvmyshiner
March 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Voodoo, I don't care what ya' build as long as you keep building. Your posts really get the old blood pumping.

Spudman
March 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Otay! If you are going to do an Octavia it has to have the option to get rid of the hair and have more octave jive going on.

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
(BTW--Tot, as usual, you don't get a vote. ;) )
Now where is that Strat Vader button?

Even though you are a MODERATOR, you apparently have very little power.

I *did* vote, but I'm not telling you what I voted for ;).

Adrian30
March 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
I voted slow gear, just because I'm building one right now. I have finished the soldering of components on the circuit board, now I "only" have to connect the board to pots, the switch and the in/out jacks.
I just think it's a fun effect.

M29
March 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I voted Octaiva and only pushed the radio button and not the vote now button. I am sorry really I am......:D
M29

Tone2TheBone
March 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hey Barry your avatar is blurry dude. Voodoo's new fuzz must be affecting this thread!

marnold
March 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Isn't it obvious? You need to build a Whammy pedal :)

Katastrophe
March 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
DVM, you have to do an octavia... That would be too cool!