PDA

View Full Version : Analog VS. Digital

pes_laul
March 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
So what is analog? And what is Digital? the reason I ask this Is because the small clone I'm trying to get says it is analog chorus. While I know Digitech and Line 6 make digital chorus. Does one sound better than the other? should I get a digital chorus instead?

-Kris-the-young-dude

Rocket
March 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Simplistically speaking: The main difference between analog & digital is that analog reproduces waveforms as they are, while digital converts analog waveforms into sets of numbers, recording the numbers instead. When played back, the numbers are converted into a voltage stream that approximates the original analog wave.

luvmyshiner
March 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Rocket's straight on Pes. The difference comes in how they sound. Some people prefer analog, some people prefer digital, I think it depends on what you're listening to. Digital is more accurate, but sometimes sounds a little . . . sterile? Whereas analog can sound a little warmer? If that makes sense? But it also depends on what you're doing. Analog can get a little muddy if there is to much stuff going on.

Now that I've completely confused the situation, I'll leave.:messedup:

Rocket
March 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
If you can still tell the difference, you haven't been playing long enough!

luvmyshiner
March 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmm, I see you're point Rocket. I'll tell CB to crank up the amphs.:rockon:

Rocket
March 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Huh... What?

luvmyshiner
March 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Huh... What?

II'LLL TEELLLL CCBBBB TOOO CRAAANNNKKK UPPP THEEE AAMMMPPPHHHH!!!!!

mrmudcat
March 3rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Well the old school in me prefers analog over digital.

Simple for me.;) Sound vs. sounds like:beer:

just strum
March 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Well the old school in me prefers analog over digital.

Simple for me.;) Sound vs. sounds like:beer:

If something is designed to mimic, the thing being mimicked is usually better. I'm not stating it is, just using assumption.

mrmudcat
March 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Simplistically speaking: The main difference between analog & digital is that analog reproduces waveforms as they are, while digital converts analog waveforms into sets of numbers, recording the numbers instead. When played back, the numbers are converted into a voltage stream that approximates the original analog wave.

Great post brother the layman in me got it the first time through.I wish I could articulate whats in my mind half as well:thwap: You and Dread seem to share that uncanny ability to translate to the screen exactly how you would if talking directly to you guys.:master:

Rocket
March 3rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Yup... I'd probably prefer analog too... if I could still hear either. (Rough decades those 70's & 80's!)