PDA

View Full Version : Another

M29
April 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hello All,

Found this awesome site while looking for info on a Vox amp. First off thank you Robert for your time and help with this website, it has been a great help already and I have only just found it few days ago.
I am an elderly gentleman of 53 this month and have recently came back to playing guitar after 20 years or so. I played drums for a good third of my life and kind of picked at the guitar during that time span. I have been out of music for the last 20 years rasing a family and have found a whole new world out there. I did not learn much on the guitar, just picked up stuff from our guitar players over the years. I just recently picked up a LP copy and a Vox AD50VT which I really enjoy, I just wish I could make it sing instead of strumming cords and practicing scales.
I enjoy a wide variety of music but grew up playing the classic stuff from the sixties and seventies, Santana, Hendrix, The Who, Deep Purple, Johnny Winter, Amboy Nugent, Allman Bros........I really want to be able to play forever on the blues at this point and to pick up on some jazz and learn some of the old classic rock that I used to drum to.
When I was younger in my late teens and early twenties I built a couple guitars. The first was a copy of a Les Paul junior. A friend had one and I used it as a template. It looked easy to make being a flat top and all. It turned out pretty good, I painted it white pearl and had a some fun with it. I used to paint custom motorcycles and cars and that is where the white pearl idea came from. A few years later I decided to build another guitar and I removed the set neck on this guitar and split it and laminated it back together with the original mahogany and a few maple strips. BC Rick guitars were new then and I loved the look of the stripes running through the body and this is what I did with mine. About 8 years ago I had to sell it because of a back injury and loss of work. Since I have gotten back into it, I have put ads up at the local music stores to see if I could find it. With ebay going now I thought this thing could be half way accross the country. Well about a week ago a guy called me and said his cousin had it. He said he would tell him and that is the last I heard of him. I did not get a chance to get his number but I sure hope he gets back with me. I am thinking about building a semi hollow body next winter, I always loved the ES 335.
Well...I think I rambled on way too long, it did feel good though! Thanks again for all of your input with this site it has helped me a ton already, I hope I can lend a hand as well.

M29

http://www.qix.net/~lmjbo/guitar.jpg

warren0728
April 2nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
welcome m29....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here...that's a beauty of a guitar...

ww

ZoSo65
April 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Hi and Welcome M29!
I'm sure you'll like it here too, great people here!
Sweet axe BTW :R

Spudman
April 2nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Welcome M29
Is that 007 code lingo? Anyway, please don't think of yourself as an "elderly" gentleman because you have some good company here on thefret in your age range, and these guys act anything but elderly.
Enjoy.

r_a_smith3530
April 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Welcome M29! I'm another one of the resident old farts (52 years young), and a guitarist-turned-bass player.

Hey, that's one sweet guitar, hope you get it back!

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2006, 04:52 AM
I am an elderly gentleman of 53 this month....
Whoa, that'll be enough of that kind of talk! I turned 55 in Feb. Hey, we're just gettin started!! Plenty of good pickin' left to do! :R

Welcome to the forum, and NICE AXE there!

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ok this is depressing...53 is 10 more years ahead of me and you're using the term ELDERLY with it!?? :\

Welcome btw. :)

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Ok this is depressing...53 is 10 more years ahead of me and you're using the term ELDERLY with it!??
what's really depressing tone is that we are both 43 and evidently both have grey hair!

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
what's really depressing tone is that we are both 43 and evidently both have grey hair!

ww

:( Ok my day is ruined

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
:( Ok my day is ruined
yep....time to start drinkin'

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
LMAO yeah that explains my drinking alright. Oh yeah you're still older than me dood...I was never good at math, I'm still 42 and holding on for dear life!!!

Tim
April 3rd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Make sure you two boys dry behind them there ears now, ya hear?

Robert
April 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
Welcome M29 - glad to see you here. Hey, age doesn't have anything to do with it!
:)

Big Welcome!

Tim
April 3rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Your right Robert. I just wish I could remember my 40s.

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Make sure you two boys dry behind them there ears now, ya hear?
lmao... :D

marnold
April 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
I'm all of 38. Some of you guys are old enough to be . . . my older brother. For me the only bad thing about getting a bit older is that a nose/ear hair trimmer seems like a mighty good investment.

Tim
April 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I'm all of 38. Some of you guys are old enough to be . . . my older brother. For me the only bad thing about getting a bit older is that a nose/ear hair trimmer seems like a mighty good investment.

You forgot eybrow trimmer for those long gray strans that come from nowhere overnight. Oh yea, I know all about that stuff.

The reason old men look like they do, is because it takes too much time to keep up with it all. It's bad enought watching the woman trying to keep up with old man time. It just isn't worth the effort.

tot_Ou_tard
April 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Ok this is depressing...53 is 10 more years ahead of me and you're using the term ELDERLY with it!?? :\

Welcome btw. :)
Got me by only 7!

tot_Ou_tard
April 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Got me by only 7!
Aahhh make that 8. How can you tell one year fron another?

M29
April 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Hello All,

It looks like I just stepped into the fountain of youth, there is a lot of action goin on here!

Thank you all for the kind words on aging and also on my guitar build. Ya know I was either listening to a guitar magazine DVD or heard it on the web where a couple young guys were commenting on dinosaur rock. I took that to mean 50's/60's/70's rock being it started in the 50's and I got thinking...The 50's would be dinosaur rock and that would make the 60's Ice Age rock and that is probably where I would fit in. I guess that is what got me down in the dumps with this elderly gentleman stuff. Man it sure is good to know that is over with! Lets Jam!!!!

You guys have really sparked an interest in the Squire 51 especially the way Robert makes it sing. I stopped at a Guitar Center today up here in Flint Michigan and they had two 51's. The salesman took my number and said they get them in all the time and they sometimes go on sale for $99.00 and he would call me if they went on sale. This guy builds guitars and we had a long talk. I though that was a pretty good price, the lowest I have seen the 51's is $129.00. I think it would be best to buy one that you could handle as these had necks that were somewhat bent and I don't know if the truss rod would take it out. I like to tinker with things and the 51 would be fun to mess with especially at $99.00.

I have been going over the lessons of Roberts and have been thrilled. They are a real challenge for me but I am learning and that is great!

Thank you all again for the kind words and the help I really appriciate it.

M29