PDA

View Full Version : The diminished scale is my love

Robert
March 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I just love the Dim scale. When I pick up the guitar, I often end up trying to create some interesting lines with the diminished scale, and there's seems to be an almost endless amount of cool sounding combinations you can come up. This is because the scale is symmetrical : half-step, whole-step - repeat...

I also find you can use this scale in lots of different ways, as long as you use with taste of course. I like using it over a minor chord (starting the scale with a whole step) and over dominant 7 chords (b9 and #9), starting with a half-step.

Any other diminished scale lovers out there?

I have a really cool dim lick coming soon to a video near you... :D

R_of_G
March 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
i will have to try it out when i get home. i don't understand a lot of the theory on why scales work, but i do hear it and i do love using scales as the basis of developing my own phrasings. thanks robert!

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I don't know yet, but would love to try it out! Looking forward to that lick. My new mission. One new lick per week.

Robert
March 4th, 2008, 12:39 PM
The lick I'll be showing is far from easy, but it sounds really cool I think.
Lots of simpler licks and ideas can be made out this scale though - it's application is almost endless.

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Easy is not a requirement. I will have fun learning from anything you throw our way. Thanks!

jpfeifer
March 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Robert,

I can't wait to see/hear your dimished lick example. This scale is not one that I use ver much so there's lots of room for improvement for me.

I have been getting into the melodic minor scale more and more lately though, and I'm finding this one to be really useful, although I'm not yet using it for really "outside" applications yet, just using it for soloting over minor ii-V-i progressions.

-- Jim

Robert
March 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Well, I should be getting my Macbook Pro tomorrow, so I'll start editing right away!

The dim scale is hard to master well, but it's very cool. You can use it in so many ways. Jim can look at the Scott Henderson DVD for examples.

This gives me an idea. Maybe I should demonstrate all the ways I know of how to use a scale or mode - over what types of chords/progressions. Hmm, that might be interesting. I don't know everything though, so it wouldn't be perfectly complete but it may give people ideas for how to use scales and modes.

Katastrophe
March 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
This gives me an idea. Maybe I should demonstrate all the ways I know of how to use a scale or mode - over what types of chords/progressions. Hmm, that might be interesting.

Great idea, Robert! I would definitely check a clip like that out!:AOK:

Algonquin
March 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Looking forward to the video for 'My Love Scale in Diminished'

Sounds kind of Spinal Tap! :D

Spudman
March 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Here is one of Robert's diminished lessons.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/lesson-1.php