PDA

View Full Version : jumped on the lessons bandwagon

warren0728
March 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
well i did it....signed up for lessons today at my friends music store! my lessons start on monday! :greenguitar:

here is the bio of my instructor....i've met him a couple of times and he seems like a really cool guy....

Jeff began learning to play and sing folk rock songs in the style of Neil Young, Jackson Browne, and the Beatles. He quickly became the guitarist for the youth fellowship in the church. Upon graduating high school he moved into Jazz studies and spent nine semesters as the 1 st chair guitar in the UCF jazz lab. Jeff went to Boston and studied Improvisation with esteemed Berklee instructor Dave Frank. In the mid eighties he took the time to study Bass guitar and spent three years playing professionally in a power trio. Not only does Jeff play bass but he plays with bass fingerings which are guite different from traditional guitar fingerings. He simply is not a guitarist teaching bass. Something all potential bassist should be concerned with. Jeff also learned to play blues in the style of the late great Stevie Ray Vanghn and spent the better part of the nineties playing top 40 country music. Over the last five years he has been an entertainer on cruise ships. “I love what I do and my students can sense this, I am always striving to be on top of new trends in music.”

ww

just strum
March 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Congrats:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Great to hear!!!

some pancakes to celebrate:pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

luvmyshiner
March 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Good for you Warren! Um . . . is it ok if I pass on the pancakes???:messedup:

Robert
March 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Good for you! Give your teacher a pancake! :pancake:

Spudman
March 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Uh oh! He's going to make you read music.:eek:

Invite him over for breakfast and he might just let it slide.;)

Good luck and I'm proud of you for taking this big step.:beer:

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Great Warren! I just had my second lesson with my new instructor and am really enjoying the new direction and his new input. I wish you the same experience.

Jimi75
March 5th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Sounds good to me! I am sure you will make the best out of it.

:bravo:

tot_Ou_tard
March 5th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Excellent Warren!

What are you going to focus on?

warren0728
March 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
What are you going to focus on?
familiarity with the fret board and improv leads for sure....some music theory and mainly just to improve and have a structured reason to practice.... :greenguitar:

ww

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh....just got a call from my buddy at the music store and he mistakingly gave me a lesson time that was already taken....now i have to wait until tuesday (instead of monday) for my lessons.... :thwap:

trying now to decide whether to take the les paul or the telecaster!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
familiarity with the fret board and improv leads for sure....some music theory and mainly just to improve and have a structured reason to practice.... :greenguitar:

ww

Take the tele (it's more flexible). There, one less thing to worry abot ;).

How long are your lessons?

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
starting with 1/2 once a week....i could do 1 hour lessons every other week but it would have to be on an "availability" only basis....with the 1/2 hour weekly i can keep the same schedule....tuesdays will probably work better because mondays can get pretty hectic....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
starting with 1/2 once a week....i could do 1 hour lessons every other week but it would have to be on an "availability" only basis....with the 1/2 hour weekly i can keep the same schedule....tuesdays will probably work better because mondays can get pretty hectic....

ww
Make sure to get homework & work on it.

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Make sure to get homework & work on it.
absolutely....first time in a long time that i am looking forward to homework! :AOK:

ww :greenguitar:

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
absolutely....first time in a long time that i am looking forward to homework! :AOK:

*That* is the real secret to being fulfilled. Learning something you love, for your own reasons beats the f@ck out of the have toos & gottas & Awwww can't I watch TVs of youth.

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
*That* is the real secret to being fulfilled. Learning something you love, for your own reasons
that's why i am doing this....since my divorce last summer my focus has been solely on my kids and my business and i haven't taken anytime for just me....so that is my main reason for taking the lessons....it's time for a little "me" time....and it's on a night that the kids are with their mom so it will force me to get out of the house!

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
that's why i am doing this....since my divorce last summer my focus has been solely on my kids and my business and i haven't taken anytime for just me....so that is my main reason for taking the lessons....it's time for a little "me" time....and it's on a night that the kids are with their mom so it will force me to get out of the house!

ww
Rock on Warren.

Have fun!

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Have fun!
that's the plan....really looking forward to it! :beer:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
that's the plan....really looking forward to it! :beer:

ww
In order to send Warren off on his Rockin' extravaganza on a great note, I encourage the Fret to lift a Single malt \_/ or two \_/ \_/ in his honor.

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
In order to send Warren off on his Rockin' extravaganza on a great note, I encourage the Fret to lift a Single malt \_/ or two \_/ \_/ in his honor.
thank you tot...and what a coincidence....i'm doing the same as we speak....or is that type?" :AOK: \_/

ww :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
thank you tot...and what a coincidence....i'm doing the same as we speak....or is that type?" :AOK: \_/

ww :D
I dunno, are you mumbling to yourself yet?

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I dunno, are you mumbling to yourself yet?
i am not mumbbllliinnngggt ottoo mmmyyselllffff.....rrreeeaaallllllyyyyy :rotflmao:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
i am not mumbbllliinnngggt ottoo mmmyyselllffff.....rrreeeaaallllllyyyyy :rotflmao:

ww

meie Neeephurrrr.

Childbride
March 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
warren, that's great. here's a friday night toast to ya with my beer. :beer:

the sonbyproxy is up again, and he and shiner are drinking...

[goes to other room to get spelling right... hold on a sec]

[brings bottle to mousepad]

lagavulin to ya, brother! :D :bravo:

here's to friday night and the little moments that lessons bring to ya!

k

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
[goes to other room to get spelling right... hold on a sec]

[brings bottle to mousepad]

lagavulin to ya, brother! :D :bravo:

Great choice!!

Next it's Laphroig & Ardbeg!

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
lagavulin to ya, brother!
yummy....thanks! \_/

ww

warren0728
March 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Great choice!!

Next it's Laphroig & Ardbeg!
yep....it's all good! \_/ :AOK:

ww

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 09:08 PM
warren, that's great. lagavulin to ya, brother!
you had to go mention lagavulin....so i had to go pick up a nice bottle of the 16 year old lag....it's all your fault cb (and sonbyproxy and shiner too) :beer:

but i sure am enjoying it! now if i just had some buffalo burgers with fresh mozzerrella...oh wait thats another thread isn't it? :thwap:

ww

just strum
March 8th, 2008, 09:22 PM
you had to go mention lagavulin....so i had to go pick up a nice bottle of the 16 year old lag....it's all your fault cb (and sonbyproxy and shiner too) :beer:

but i sure am enjoying it! now if i just had some buffalo burgers with frsh mozzerrella...oh wait thats another thread isn't it? :thwap:

ww

You know Shiner has been drinking so much lately he's seeing double, he only thinks he has a 12 string acoustic.

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 09:28 PM
You know Shiner has been drinking so much lately he's seeing double, he only thinks he has a 12 string acoustic.
now that's funny....i don't care who you are! :rotflmao:

guess if i keep on drinking i can mark a nice 12 string off my gas list! :bravo: :beer:

ww

just strum
March 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hey Warrren,

Did you have your first lesson today?

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh....just got a call from my buddy at the music store and he mistakingly gave me a lesson time that was already taken....now i have to wait until tuesday (instead of monday) for my lessons.... :thwap:

trying now to decide whether to take the les paul or the telecaster!

ww
naw.....see above....lessons got moved to tuesday so my first lesson is tomorrow!

ww

just strum
March 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
naw.....see above....lessons got moved to tuesday so my first lesson is tomorrow!

ww

Well, I will say have a good time, enjoy, and this journey will now take a new path. Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

My first lesson was a meet and greet, but it provided me with even more desire and enjoyment.:AOK:

warren0728
March 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Well, I will say have a good time, enjoy, and this journey will now take a new path. Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

My first lesson was a meet and greet, but it provided me with even more desire and enjoyment.:AOK:
thanks man....i am looking forward to it!

ww

warren0728
March 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
ok....i had my first lesson today! it was great....we talked a little bit about music and what i wanted from the lessons. then he mapped out two scale progressions for me (pentatonic) that moved up and down the fretboard instead of staying in one box....the "e minor/g major" and "a minor/c major"

we then put on appropriate backing tracks and played over them using the scale progressions. it felt great actually playing up and down the neck instead of up and down a little box!!

i am actually feeling some excitement again! we are going to start working on some santana, pink floyd and maybe even some lynard skynard type licks next lesson!

after the lesson i was hanging out with my friend ron (the owner) who both tim and iago have met and i was telling him that now that i was living in a townhouse cranking amps and playing late at night were tough so we started looking at modeling guitar processors....well....i ended up leaving with a digitech rp250 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-RP250-Modeling-Guitar-Processor-103952149-i1168302.gc)

i am going to play with it this week and see if i want to get it or not. one thing i like about it is that you use knobs to adjust settings instead of little push buttons!....the beauty is that i am finally redoing his website so i can barter it as part of the payment (same way i am getting my lessons). it is a pretty cool setup with usb connectivity that interfaces with garage band and also has a line in so i can play backing tracks from my ipod through it to practice with.

if i like it i will probably sell the vox ad30vt and run this through a cab when i don't want to use headphones....anyway enough rambling....i'm off to practice and play with my new toy!

the first step has been taken!! :AOK:

just strum
March 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds great - renewed enthusiasm and a new toy.:AOK:

warren0728
March 11th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Sounds great - renewed enthusiasm and a new toy.:AOK:
yep...it was a good day! :bravo:

i also forgot one thing...the instructor i'm taking lessons from hosts a jam for his students at his place once a month...a casual get together where you can practice playing with others of a varied skill level...i will probably go to the first one and just observe but in time i hope to be up there joining in the jam!! :AOK:

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hot D@mn! Warren...very cool indeed!:rockon: :bravo: :AOK: :rockon:

warren0728
March 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hot D@mn! Warren...very cool indeed!:rockon: :bravo: :AOK: :rockon:
yeah i'm psyched!...a good day music wise for me for sure! :greenguitar:

ww

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hey, that is really cool Warren! We are both involved in some similar areas in lessons. I also am working on those patterns up and down the neck. Similar songs too. Lots of fun!! I am glad it sounds like you are having the kind of fun I am having.

warren0728
March 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
thanks steve...i'm really glad i am taking this step...maybe we can get together someday and put our newly acquired lessons to use...although i must warn you that as a floridian i have only snow skied once and it wasn't pretty! :D

ww

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
That would be great. WRT the skiing, that's ok, fun in the sun is the name of the game. I am just a surfer wannabe, so if I come your way, I can be the newb.

warren0728
March 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
That would be great. WRT the skiing, that's ok, fun in the sun is the name of the game. I am just a surfer wannabe, so if I come your way, I can be the newb.
funny thing is even though i have lived in florida forever i have never surfed....my parents were more of a lake and river type....started water skiing when i was 5 which no doubt didn't help me when i tried to snow ski!

we could learn to surf together!

ww

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Well I love to waterski (started young, but not that young, still love it, you FLA cypress gardens types would probably kick my butt), and drink beer, so along with guitars, we have enough to keep us busy. ;-) Oh, and I would enjoy learning surfing together too. We could wear those "Old guys rule!" T-shirts. LOL!!

warren0728
March 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Well I love to waterski (started young, but not that young, still love it, you FLA cypress gardens types would probably kick my butt), and drink beer, so along with guitars, we have enough to keep us busy. ;-) Oh, and I would enjoy learning surfing together too. We could wear those "Old guys rule!" T-shirts. LOL!!
lol...i have skied only once in the past several years....my whole body ached afterward....hope to do more of it this year!
i've still got my "old guys rule" t-shirt so i am ready to go!

ww

warren0728
March 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
well i have been practicing the scales i learned during my first lesson and it is great being able to move up and down the neck of my guitar while playing (so many more options for improvising). I am definately excited....i played along to backing tracks and also to the built in drums on my rp250 (which i am enjoying...i started a new thread about it).

i'm really glad i finally started taking lessons...can't wait for my next one! :greenguitar:

ww

Katastrophe
March 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
That's awesome news, Warren... Lessons will unlock a lot of doors for your playing.

Childbride
March 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Warren, i am so thrilled for you!!! :bravo: :D :beer:

y'all are depressing me, tho... i adore snow skiing... i adore water skiing... and my jet ski and i 'in the day' were One.

now i don't dare doing any of that... :cry:

[enough of that] yay, Warren! :bravo:

warren0728
March 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM
been doing a lot more practicing now that i have the digitech rp250 and at my second lesson learned a couple of albert king licks in box 2 and have been feeling more comfortable working my way around the fretboard!

i have a long way to go but i have seen more improvement in my playing after two lessons than in the last year! :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
March 22nd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Alright you guys are making me jealous.

coachj
March 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Warren I am in Orlando too!

warren0728
March 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Warren I am in Orlando too!
cool....i'm actually in winter springs/tuskawilla

i see you coach youth soccer....my daughter plays with cfu

oh yeah...to stay on topic....are you familiar with ron's music shack? corner of 436 and howell branch....he's a good friend and that's where i am taking lessons! I am really enjoying my lessons! :dude:

ww

coachj
March 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM
436 and Howell branch. I'll have to drop by.

My daughter plays for IUS (yep long drive). I have coached for CFU, IUS, FSA and East Orange.

warren0728
March 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
436 and Howell branch. I'll have to drop by.
cool....tell him warren sent you (he'll feel sorry for you and give you a good deal!) :rotflmao:

ww