PDA

View Full Version : So, ummm, new guy, new to guitar

Tynee
March 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
<walks in hiding behind white flag...

Hopefully I didn't say or do anything in my SHORT time so far at WGF to mean that I am not welcome here. Please accept that every post I made over there was with the best of intentions. I went in there looking for advice while trying to decide between a couple of guitars, and received good response. I thought that wading in as an outside observer might help sort things out over there so that the forum I had just found would continue to be a good resource for me as I learn to play the guitar. Clearly I was mistaken, in wading in I unintentionally wound up on one side, and that wasn't what I was trying to do. I'll still go around there if I have Washburn specific questions, but it appears that I have found a MUCH more useful forum here. It appears to be more like the forum I cut me internet teeth on as it is a cummunity, or at least I hope so this time.

Moving on, some might remember from over there that I was trying to decide between an Epiphone AJ-200S from my local Guitar Center, or a Washburn D10S from a regional guitar shop. Since then I've come to realize that my REAL attraction to the EPI was mostly appearance and the name value. I'd heard of Epiphone even before I learned the VERY little I now know about guitars.

So, that should make it easy, right? Well it would if I hadn't come across a Seagull while I was in the regional shop looking at the Wash. so, Now I'm in a whole different conundrum. I'm trying to decide what I like the best, what sounds the best, what's easiest for me to play, what type of music I'll be learning, what guitar will fit that best. I really am feeling pressure to make the best possible choice now, as I will most likely NOT be buying another guitar for quite some time (too many other hobbies).

Sorry if this is the longest first post in recorded history, just thought I'd intorduce myself. I'll go read around for a while, now.

Robert
March 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Welcome, good to have you here! We try to leave the "W" talk out of here nowadays, if we can... ;)
I have to say that Seagulls are pretty nice guitars! Go for it, man.

Algonquin
March 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Welcome Tynee.

No need for a white flag here, as this forum has only 'Fretters'.

I think that you'll enjoy this forum, as it has a good mix of knowledge, experience, wisdom, youth, and most of all... mature folks interested in guitars and music. Period!

Cheers :beer:

warren0728
March 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM
welcome tynee....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Kodiak3D
March 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
This is a nice place with helpful people. Welcome!

Cal
March 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Welcome Tynee! :D

Hey, forget the names and numbers... which sounds best to YOU? And I guess that one will be the best for the music YOU want to play. ;)

oldguy
March 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Welcome to TheFret Tynee........ glad you joined us here.
I'd play the guitars you like best, and buy the one that has the best sound and is the most comfortable.

ted s
March 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Welcome Tynee,
Test drive them both, see which one chooses you.

aeolian
March 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to decide what I like the best, what sounds the best, what's easiest for me to play, what type of music I'll be learning, what guitar will fit that best.

You already have the right criteria set, you can go with your measuring stick and decide. By the way, this is no life or death decision. If later on you decide that you made the wrong decision, sell the guitar off and start looking all over. You may lose a little on the transaction, but it won't break the bank.

luvmyshiner
March 5th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Welcome aboard Tynee. You've found a great group of folks over here with a lot of knowledge.

Katastrophe
March 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Welcome, Tynee! This is a great forum. Don't worry about the "W" stuff. I think you'll find that we are all friendly folk. Come on in, sit down and enjoy. Contribute as often as possible. I look forward to reading your observations on your journey to get your next guitar.

t_ross33
March 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Grab the one that speaks to you and feels right...

Then head over to the electrics and amps and pedals and gear and...

Yeah, just TRY to get out of this place without coming down with GAS!

Weclome!

Trev

tot_Ou_tard
March 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Welcome Tynee, your new life as a Fretter has just begun.

I've never played an acoustic, but anxiously await the discussion.

Someday, I will get an acoustic.

Childbride
March 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
welcome! :D

luvmyshiner
March 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Welcome Tynee, your new life as a Fretter has just begun.

I've never played an acoustic, but anxiously await the discussion.

Someday, I will get an acoustic.

WHAT WHAT WHAT???? Dude, we have so got to set you up with an acoustic. Everyone should have at least one.:beer:

oldguy
March 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
WHAT WHAT WHAT???? Dude, we have so got to set you up with an acoustic. Everyone should have at least one.:beer:
Yeah, I've got two, and I play electric usually.
You need two, in case the power goes out, and one's out of tune.......

Dreadman
March 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
WELCOME TO THE FRET. :bravo:

Skip77
March 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Welcome Tynee - I have to agree with you that Epiphones are darn good looking and good sounding guitars. Personally, between your first two choices, I'd go Epiphone without hesitation over D10S. I know that Seagulls have the huge reputation but honestly, since I believe you had opportunity to hold and play all 3, I'd go with the one that feels best in my hands and in my lap. All of them will have great tone so for me it's a comfort question. You can't go wrong in any case. I presume the Seagull is the most expensive and possibly the D10S the least of the 3? If that is right, there you have it - the perfect compromise in the middle road (Epiphone) :)

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Welcome Tynee. We are fretters here and talk fretter things. I agree with the others that you should go with what your hands, your ears and your instincts tell you. Have fun shopping!

tot_Ou_tard
March 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM

OK, set me up ;).

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Ok, guys, pass the hat. We need to get tOta this:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6179

Ok, Tynee, sorry for digressing, but we do from time to time. ;-)

Tynee
March 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm just waiting on one of three checks to come in: Federal Income Tax, Federal Tax Incentive, or Company Bonus check. Should be real close to getting all three checks. At that time, I'll take a Saturday afternoon, stop at a couple of different local shops (one has the Epi, the other has the Seagull and the Wash), and spend some time practicing the chords and scales I'm learning on all three of them. After I decide which one I like, I'll commence to bargaining with the shop keeper, and will come home with the guitar and case for a price that may or may not get me thrown out of the house. lol

Brian Krashpad
March 6th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Welcome! Lots of people here know tons about acoustics!

But I'm not one of 'em. ;)

Have fun, it's pretty much a drama-free zone here.

mrmudcat
March 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Welcome to thefret.:bravo:

Guitar Gal
March 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Nice to see you Tynee :D

GG

snarph
March 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well you never know what side your gonna wind up on around here :):)

sumitomo
March 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Konnichiha,Tynee_san Sumi

murph
March 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the fret Tynee

Murph

Tynee
March 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Konnichiha,Tynee_san Sumi
We have a couple of factories in Kentucky that build Electrical Wiring Harnesses for the automotive industry. Their name is Sumitomo.

Kodiak3D
March 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM
You live in Ky? So do I and StreetMusic. What part of Ky?

strumsalot
March 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Welcome Tynee.:AOK:

Tynee
March 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
You live in Ky? So do I and StreetMusic. What part of Ky?

I'm in Lexington. I need to get my profile filled out. It a time thing.

I noticed Street was in Paintville or Prestonsburg, somewhere like that. Where are you located?

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ok, guys, pass the hat. We need to get tOta this:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6179

I think Ted needs it to go with his outfit.

Kodiak3D
March 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm in Lexington. I need to get my profile filled out. It a time thing.

I noticed Street was in Paintville or Prestonsburg, somewhere like that. Where are you located?

Just outside of Louisville.

duhvoodooman
March 10th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Tynee. :AOK: Better a late welcome than none!

peachhead
March 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Welcome, Tynee :beer:

I wish I could be more help with your decision, but I only have one acoustic and I want about three more. So, what I could tell you, is...get 'em all :D