PDA

View Full Version : ad30vt jack keeps loosening up

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
the input jack on my ad30vt keeps coming loose and then i have to take the amp apart to fix it. I tries using plumbers tape on the threads but i guess that didn't work! I wonder if using something like loc-tite on the threads would work. Since they are plastic i'm not sure if the loc-tite would work. I don't want to use glue since i might have to remove the jack somwtime to replace it (if necessary)

I'm sure others have had this problem....how did you fix it?

thanks,
ww

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hasn't happened to me, Warren, but I've read about people epoxying the thing to the inside of the amp electronics casing. Here's a pic that was posted on (I think) the Patchtronix forum, showing how a guy fixed the problem on his AD50VT:

EDIT: Here's a link to a thread on Patchtronix with some good discussion of the problem--

http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=236

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 08:09 AM
thanks voodoo!

ww

Tone2TheBone
April 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Warren - try to do a much nicer job of epoxing than the dude that did that job on the photo. LMAO

duhvoodooman
April 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Warren - try to do a much nicer job of epoxing than the dude that did that job on the photo. LMAO
I went back and found the original post on Patchtronix.com. My CRS disease struck again--it wasn't the owner who did that. He had opened up his AD50VT to see what it looked like inside and take some photos, and he found that it had come from the factory that way. He surmised that this might be a "factory fix" for the customer complaints they were getting about the input jack falling into the amp. Seems like a reasonable assumption. Pretty sloppy work, though, I agree!

warren0728
April 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
of course i had no epoxy in the house so i just tightened it up and will keep a closer eye on it! Will epoxy it next time it happens (once i have been to the store to get some!)

ww

playsahollowelectric
August 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
a great way to solve this is to brush a small dab of clear fingernail polish onto one spot on the jack threads just where they meet the locking nut. That will essencially "glue that nut in place and make the jack stop becoming loose as the locking nut will stop unintentionally loosening, and becuase the polish is clear, you won't see it. Then someday if you want to take the jack out, just use a paintbrush to dab small amounts of acetone-free nail polish remover where it needs to go, and the nut will come free. When using the remover, be sure to protect the wood around the jack if doing this on a guitar, by going slow so there are no drips, and possibly by putting a little masking tape on the guitar so that any that gets away wont rest on the finish. I've never tried this on a plastic jack, so it may cause the jack itself to soften, but if you are replacing it, that wouldn't matter anyway.