PDA

View Full Version : [happy dance] i got my official play list

Childbride
March 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
:D :D :D

[for my first gig, sorry...]

i just got back from my lesson.

when my teacher has one of these student gigs, he's careful to allow each student a certain number of 'at bat'...

i get three this time.

i'm going to play hank williams' 'i can't help it [if i'm still in love with you]'
merle haggard's 'silver wings' [i start learning that this week]

and... the best part...

i get featured lead on wildwood flower... last song of the gig! :D :beer: :pancake:

i'm really excited!

[o, and Wings, SVL, Pie, et al who tried to help me out on my 'teach me a new trick' thread... turns out he keeps the pick between his fingers the whole time and just finger picks with other fingers... (sigh) so much to learn. s'ok, i'm loving every minute of it! ]

just strum
March 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Another congrats out to CB. I don't know the songs, but I'm sure you will kick butt.:master: :bravo: :master:

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Allright! Sounds like tele territory to me! Though I bet you could make a strat work just fine too. Go play some guitars and find out what feels right. :beer:

Katastrophe
March 6th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Silver Wings was in our old set list. It was kind of fun to double that little guitar riff on the bass.

Congrats, CB! Playing live is a heck of a lot of fun.:AOK:

mrmudcat
March 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry C.B. for being late to say Congrats!

piebaldpython
March 6th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Congrats CB......yeah, your set list is BEGGING for a Tele or a Tele clone. :)
Then WHEN you start slidin', Shiner can get ya a Strat!!! :bravo:

pes_laul
March 6th, 2008, 12:22 PM
congrats CB sounds like fun. make sure to post updates about the gig.

Childbride
March 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
thanks, y'all... :D i really appreciate the support!

Kat, i get to sink my teeth into that riff this week, along with the intro... i had never heard the song before he played it for me last night, and i really like his arrangement... new tricks to learn. ;) i'm going to youtube for the original this weekend to see how it differs...

Guitar Gal
March 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Very nice CB :AOK:

I'll look for your videos on You Tube :rockon:

GG

Childbride
March 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM
you're awfully sweet, GG, but i think right now they'd be in the top ten [you gotta see this and laugh] list... :rotflmao:

but i love the little steps. the goofy 'knock you on your butt' silly moments when something suddenly comes together where it didn't before... :) they really are special.

bigoldron
March 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Good luck, CB! I know you'll do just fine! There's nothing like that first gig. Once you've finished that one, then you can't wait for the second one, then the third, and so on and so on. It's as addicting as any drug and whole lot more fun and better for you. :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

wingsdad
March 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey, congrats :bravo: & best of luck, CB :)

Nice little set list :AOK: Wildwood Flower was one of the very first complete songs I learned eons ago, as I learned my first stuff from my older cousin. Lots of little licks in there that will help with others down the road for you...

... I wish you luck in that quest for your own 'lectric, too ;)

peachhead
March 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing some clips!! :D

street music
March 7th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Never doubt CB, go girl!

just strum
March 7th, 2008, 06:12 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/snoopy_dance.jpg

strumsalot
March 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I for one have heard your Wildwood Flower in person and you're gonna rock the house CB!:master:

Keep us posted on the quest for your new guit.

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
CB, you are OUR Wildwood Flower. Good luck & have fun!

Childbride
March 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM
[laugh]

i'm sitting in the room where our computer is right now, listening to my sonbyproxy's music, and he's just making me laugh. we were dancing earlier [shiner was just looking at us]

life doesn't get any sweeter than moments like this. [giggle]

[i just laughed at more of his music's lyrics that he's got playing on his laptop, and he just kissed my dog... my weekend is Whole]

may everyone have Center this weekend.

k

Childbride
March 7th, 2008, 11:45 PM
CB, you are OUR Wildwood Flower. Good luck & have fun!

:) your kindness has encouraged me to be mother maybelle carter. i'm going to do better than i know currently.

that was the nicest thing...

Tot, you inspire. thank you!

Kazz
March 8th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Strum....Wildwood Flower is a June Carter song....check out Reese Witherspoons version of it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uos3qj0NuYs

and of course the original by June herself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGPE1y_CXU&feature=related

CB....I hope you get Shiner to record this session and put it up for us. You will do well I am sure. Congrats on the featured solo.

Cal
March 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM
i'm going to play hank williams' 'i can't help it [if i'm still in love with you]'
merle haggard's 'silver wings' [i start learning that this week]

and... the best part...

i get featured lead on wildwood flower... last song of the gig! :D :beer: :pancake: Go Childbride!

You're an inspiration! :AOK:

warren0728
March 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
have fun cb....when is the show...and yeah it would be great if shiner could record it for us.... :beer:

ww

Childbride
March 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Rocket... before you disappear...

i want you to know that i have to use my pinky repeatedly on silver wings. :) and i do.

i thought you would like that. :D

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Rocket... before you disappear...

Where's Rocket going?

mrmudcat
March 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Not to speak for him but I imagine its about time he has to go make the bacon!!!:beer:

just strum
March 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
He disappears on occasion and has "business" to take care of. Some think he's with the CIA, but I have a suspicion that he is actually Ronald McDonald, or possibly the Hamburglar.

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM
He disappears on occasion and has "business" to take care of. Some think he's with the CIA, but I have a suspicion that he is actually Ronald McDonald, or possibly the Hamburglar.

LOL!!! I think that may make you Mayor McCheese, Strum! :pancake:

tot_Ou_tard
March 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
LOL!!! I think that may make you Mayor McCheese, Strum! :pancake:
Does that make Shiner & CB, Grimace & the Early Bird?

Family photo time:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/McDonaldsgroup.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:McDonaldsgroup.jpg)

& here's Mayor McStrum

http://www.nofunleague.net/mccheese.jpg

sunvalleylaw
March 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Stands to reason . . . . ;-)

strumsalot
March 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
He disappears on occasion and has "business" to take care of. Some think he's with the CIA, but I have a suspicion that he is actually Ronald McDonald, or possibly the Hamburglar.:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

piebaldpython
March 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah CB, tell Shiner we want video!!! Hmmm...first, you're Mother Maybelle......can your transformation as the Teutonic Terroress of the Telecaster be far behind??? :dude:

Childbride
March 9th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Warren, my apologies, i missed your question.

i'm not quite sure now, b/c last wed teach was mentioning a second gig and i'm not sure which i'm going to. my understanding is that he's slated me to make my debut late may or early june, which gives me time to work on my nerves some more at Pearl and work on 'spicing up' my Wildwood Flower...

Pie... the new axe won't come until prolly april. i'm still in 'research' mode. :D i do want to get her as soon as possible, b/c i intend to perform with her... and we have to get to know each other first... :rockon:

Childbride
April 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
i can't remember anymore where i posted i was briefly unhappy about having to relearn silver wings in a different key... then gave myself an attitude adjustment.

well, performance time will be here before i know it, and tonight, i had the great fortune of meeting that 12-year-old girl who's singing the song.

long story short, teach rearranged his lesson schedule tonight, and she came in right after me.

i adored her within five seconds of meeting her.

bubbly, precocious, cute as a button... she saw odyssey, her eyes got wide, and she grinned infectiously. i handed the guitar off to her, and she grinned even wider. if i'd had more time, i swear i would have sat there the half hour and let her play odyssey for her lesson.

she proudly showed off her squier, same exact color, white pickguard, just like mine.

she told me in a conspiratorial whisper that 'roger [teach] said i could put my name on my guitar' and showed me the stickers that spelled out her name on her pickguard.

adorable. i am so excited to be playing with her... she's taken lessons for three years, and will kick my guitar-playing butt, but i will enjoy every minute of it. :D

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Watch out, she'll get you to put stickers on your new, just de-flowered tele PG, just days after the protective plastic came off! :eek:

Childbride
April 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
i gave odyssey norplant. it won't stick. :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
April 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
i gave odyssey norplant. it won't stick. :rotflmao:

SSShplurt!!!!! (red wine on keyboard). LOL!!!!! :bravo:

Kazz
April 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
norplant...thats funny