PDA

View Full Version : Guitar or Gear You Would Never Sell

just strum
March 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Now I'm not referring to a case where you needed to feed the family. The question is Do you own a guitar or gear that you would never sell in order to acquire another instrument?

I wouldn't sell the Strat I just purchased because it's at the head of the class here in Strumsville. It grows on me with each passing day.

I wouldn't sell the Dot because it was a very thouughtful gift.

I may sell the ARC300, but it would be difficult to part with it.

I would sell the Epi SG because it has lost it's memory value and I don't play it much.

Amp's I could sell.

The two pedals I could sell.

The J28SDL is for sale, so that one is an obvious one.

Kodiak3D
March 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I don't think I could part with my Washburn Idol 64 DL. I've put quite a bit of money into it with new pickups, custom pickguard, custom truss rod cover, knobs, etc. to make it look the way I want. It has a lot of my personality in it, and I would have a very hard time letting it go.

Spudman
March 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I have at least one guitar that I won't part with. I'm not going to say which one until I can find another one like it. I don't want to drive the prices up any further. Most folks don't realize what great guitars they are...yet.;)

Otherwise, I think I'll keep my Marshall JMP 50 from my childhood. I toted that amp all over the place. I'll probably also keep the 70s Princeton Reverb for the same reasons along with my Protone Strat.

sunvalleylaw
March 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I would try not to sell my current strat to get other gear. It is only a MIM, but I really like it, and it was/is first love.

KrisH
March 5th, 2008, 11:23 PM
My EB-3. Probably keep the Hohner too, a gift from someone special. All else is negotiable, but not easily.

oldguy
March 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM
My Grandfather's fiddle.
The rest is just stuff, some better than others.
Even a '65 Super Reverb can be duplicated with the right components and schematics.......

Mr Grumpy
March 6th, 2008, 02:04 AM
My Gordon Smith GS1.5-40. As far as GS tell me, they only ever made 2 of them and mine is the first one (I also had a lot of input into the specs) and I have a letter of authenticity off GS to certify this. It was made for me as a 40th birthday present and my wife and family all helped towards it, my wife even had a GS shaped cake made with a scanned picture of it!. Im even mentioned as such on their website page for it (the pic on the site is my guitar).

It has a lot of me in it and a very distinct personality and every player who has ever seen it loved it. Its a basic, no frills, kind of retro thing but its got many voices. I love it and even if all else is sold and I give up playing, its a keeper. Part of me lives in there!

Edit - have used the new hosting facility to post a few pics of her - she goes by the name of 'honey'

pes_laul
March 6th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I couldn't part with mi ibanez and strat or my DS-1

Katastrophe
March 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I just can't bring myself to sell my guitars. The Strat was a gift from my wife, the ESP was my first custom model, my Charvel was the first guitar I bought with my own money, and the Ibanez was given to me as a present from my grandmother. Too much sentimental value, even if they aren't being played much right now.

The amph could go in a heartbeat.

stingx
March 6th, 2008, 06:35 AM
My Kramer Pacer is going to be buried along side me.

Robert
March 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I am trying hard to keep my Hellhound, but I'm not quite married to any of my gear.

wingsdad
March 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I've parted with many guitars and even amps in days of yore for some pretty dumb reasons, some out of dire financial straits and others I thought I'd keep. Many I regret having done so, in retrospect, notably those I listed in Mr. Grumpy's 'Regrets' thread that Strum spun this thread off from. And I've done a lot of 'horse trading' in recent years to assemble my present harem.

But there's 6 that are more than mere tools, more than the wood & steel:

My '70 Guild D40 is virtually a living being with the stories behind every scratch & crack.

My '81 Fender 'The STRAT' and '82 Rick 360-12BWB are all I've left from my 'pro' days.

My '78 Fender Musicmaster Bass and '96 Yamaha FG411CE-12 were my son's choices.

My '99 Ovation CS257 was a birthday gift from my wife & daughter.

In the end, as much as I treasure them for the guitars they are, the rest are all mere commodities.

mrmudcat
March 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
84, 85 C.S. explorers in plumburst.My rare legend amp with rola 12-65's never never!!!

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8098/picture117wi2.jpg

marnold
March 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
As much as my Floyd is growing on me, especially with the new pups, I'd have to say it would be my Showmaster. Just a great metal/rock machine. Everything else is probably negotiable. Once I get the Screamin' Demon in my Floyd, this question may need to be revisited :)

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Definately has to be my Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee amp.

Blaze
March 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Oh! My oldie 1978 Norman B -30 hand_made acoustic guitar from a Quebec cie wich is call ''Guitare Boucher'' Today ..The guy who ownes this cie , today, is a relative of Mr.Norman ..You can ear this guitar on my myspace , it s the first tune to play on the openning..

http://www.myspace.com/richardlehoux

It s a gift from my girlfriend and it has so much soul..

Blazes

Katastrophe
March 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Wow, Blazes. You are right. The guitar has a beautiful tone, and the playing is awesome. Beautiful sounds, man.

I listened to your other tunes on the MySpace page. I gotta tell ya, I'm impressed. "Celtic Scream" with the lap steel is a beautiful piece of music.

aeolian
March 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
My Yamaha SG1500 that I bought new in 1976. All my other guitars I can see selling off for the right reason.

hubberjub
March 6th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I don't typically sell guitars, but the only one that I really am sentimentally attached to is my Les Paul. It hasn't been the best guitar but my father bought it for me when I was 13. The others (even the three that I've had custom built for me) could be sold without too much regret.

Skip77
March 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I like Oldguys post - yeah man that is awesome, to have your grandfather's fiddle! Glad you would never sell it. Good one.

As for me, most that know me know that all my guitars are cheapies. I've bought and sold probably 10 over the last 12 months or so. I love the 4 currently on board but would probably trade them for something a couple steps up, etc.

One of my four is a Chinese made Starcaster that I got lucky with - the thing came with a heavy, Alder body! Lot of fun to dink around with it - I love the way you can get such close action on electrics and just the feel of something different.

Mainly, I prefer acoustic for tone and art made simple. My little Carlo Robelli, custom fit with bone nut/saddle and automotive, chrome pvc molding for binding, will never go. Got it for $30 and free shipping but it's worth so much to me, I'll never sell it. The thing came with steel strings that were out of intonation. I improved that as much as I could via saddle (thanks to Dreadman) and then got a brainstorm and tested a set of heavy gauge nylons and viola, near perfect intonation. Replaced cheap tuners with the next grade up (still cheap) tuners and guess what - holds tune better than any guitar I have owned. It's a mini-6 stringer and just fun to play. You can see it in the photo at the link below (little black guitar near middle at top of page) Also you can hear it in one of the sound clips.

oldguy
March 6th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Skip.
It's the one thing passed down to me........I don't play fiddle very well, but I'll cherish it 'till the day I die. Everything else I have is just gear I've bought, sold, and traded for over the years. Some is vintage, some is new....... all of it is material......and has nothing to do with the journey.
The universal language is only about what you own in your head, and whether or not others want to hear what you have to say.:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
March 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I've never sold any gear, so who knows.

I like to take the time to get to know my visitors.

I get the feeling that my gear will sell me off to a Lard factory.

Brian Krashpad
March 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Would never sell my acoustic, mandolin, or banjo, as they were all gifts from my dad.

Also my 1960 Duo-Sonic stays, it was my first "real" electric (bought for $65 plus tax in 1977) and my dad refinished it. Lastly my 1973 Ovation Breadwinner that I bought in 1980, which was my first "gigging" guitar and the one I played at my first show ever.

Those ones are sacrosanct. I'd divide the rest into two tiers, with some of the more recent inexpensive ones I could get rid of relatively easily; versus some of the more expensive ones plus a couple of inexpensive ones that have some very good memories attached (in particular my DeArmond Jet Star).

Adrian30
March 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I've never sold any gear, so who knows.

I like to take the time to get to know my visitors.

I get the feeling that my gear will sell me off to a Lard factory.

+1. I gave away few things, to people that I thought could use them since I wasn't, but never really sold anything.

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I have no intentions of ever parting with my three Gibsons, my two Strats, or my Germino amp.

warren0728
March 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
the only one i wouldn't sell is my 98 gibson les paul special....i got it from a good friend and it is a color called "spearmint" and there weren't many spearmint ones made!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_3547d42331e47f8.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=391)

ww :greenguitar:

Plank_Spanker
March 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
the only one i wouldn't sell is my 98 gibson les paul special....i got it from a good friend and it is a color called "spearmint" and there weren't many spearmint ones made!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_3547d42331e47f8.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=391)

KILLER LP, Warren! I love it! :AOK:

warren0728
March 9th, 2008, 12:48 PM
KILLER LP, Warren! I love it! :AOK:
thanks plank...i do too! it's my only real gibson....it is definitely one of my best playing guitars.... :greenguitar:

ww

Ascension
March 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
First off is my Fender Prosonic!! Bruce Zinky created a Metal MONSTER with this lil beasty!!!! Wouldn't trade it even for a new Boogie Roadking or Boogner Ubershall if i had to actually play um on stage!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/rutledri/IM000288.jpg
Guitar wise I have some really really nice stuff but there is one that is truly "special". Pinky is so shockingly light it feels like a toy when you pick it up but it plays like butter and screams like you would not believe!! This guitar is one bad bad mofo and will rip you head off with tone:dude: :dude: :rockon: !!!
My 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock Carvin X220C.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/rutledri/IM000532.jpg

Brian Krashpad
March 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM

I love those Spearmint Specials.

Does it have P-100's or P-90's?

Hilmer
March 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
If I could turn back time 17 years I definitely wouldn't sell my Silver jubilee halfstack and my beautiful sunburst japanese Fender stratocaster.

Since I probably won't be able to turn back time I'll have to say my acoustic, a K. Yairi DY55. A beautiful wonderful sounding guitar. It would cost me way too much to replace that one.

My first electric guitar, A Westone Corsair deluxe, I will try to hold on to as long as possible for sentimental reasons.

warren0728
March 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I love those Spearmint Specials.

Does it have P-100's or P-90's?
thanks,
it was the last year they were made with p100s....it's stock

a lot of people hate the p100s but they seem ok to me!

ww

Brian Krashpad
March 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM
thanks,
it was the last year they were made with p100s....it's stock

a lot of people hate the p100s but they seem ok to me!

ww

I had 'em in a black singlecut Special and just never really bonded with them.

I sold it when I needed funds to pick up a great deal on an LP Classic, since I already had a Hamer Special with Duncan P-90's. I've since bought a couple cheapie guitars with P-90's (no-names in an Agile, Duncan Designeds in a Schecter) that I've liked more than those P-100's.

I think having a P-90 guitar kinda poisoned the well for that LP Special.

Ro3b
March 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
My '70 Guild D40 is virtually a living being with the stories behind every scratch & crack.

Yep. I feel the same way about my '83 Guild D35. It's a longtime collaborator in my music. And it's been bashed around to the point where it's unsellable anyway.

Another one I'm going to hang on to is my Xaviere XV600 with P90s. Yeah, it's an Asian-made cheapie, but just about as perfect a guitar as I could hope for, and I'm totally in love with the way it sounds. In twenty years it's going to have as many scars on it as my Guild.