PDA

View Full Version : Trent Reznor makes $750,000 in 3 days

Robert
March 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Check this out
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080305-reznor-makes-750000-even-when-the-music-is-free.html

Reznor makes $750,000 even when the music is free.

$750,000 in the space of three days isn't a bad haul for any businessperson.

tunghaichuan
March 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Check this out
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080305-reznor-makes-750000-even-when-the-music-is-free.html

Reznor makes $750,000 even when the music is free.

$750,000 in the space of three days isn't a bad haul for any businessperson.

Thanks for the link. I decided to listen to some of the music for free before I purchased anything.

I applaud Reznor for trying to move beyond the archaic business model that the music industry is clinging to with a death grip. :bravo:

It's time to move one, the old model isn't working anymore so it is time to abandon it and try something new.

tung

Katastrophe
March 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the link. I decided to listen to some of the music for free before I purchased anything.

I applaud Reznor for trying to move beyond the archaic business model that the music industry is clinging to with a death grip. :bravo:

It's time to move one, the old model isn't working anymore so it is time to abandon it and try something new.

tung

I couldn't agree with you more, tung. Love him or hate him, Reznor has always been innovative in his approach to making music. It looks like taking a different route worked for him.

Kodiak3D
March 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I admire Trent Reznor. He works very hard to make his music and has very innovative ideas.

I really think the music business is headed into a big change. Recording equipment is becoming more and more inexpensive these days and so many people have recording studios in their own home. That combined with the internet makes music recording and distribution so much easier than it was before.

R_of_G
March 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
it's not surprising to find Trent in the vanguard. there def needs to be a new model for music distribution and I am glad to see someone I respect and admire [not to mention someone whose music I love] as one of the first to try something new. I wish him all the success in the world on this one.

Spudman
March 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
This could end up being a future model and I like the fact that the record companies are out of the loop so more money actually goes to the artist. Plus if the artist releases it then it has the artists vision intact instead of butchered by the record company. Bravo.

One potential downside is that if you are a new artist then generating the downloads and sales is probably not going to be as good as it might be for a known artist that people are already watching. He proved that with his friends release.

SuperSwede
March 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
This is probably not going to be the model for the future. I think that we are going to see a lot of companies like Apple and Google as some kind of umbrella organizations selling music directly from the artist instead of going through what we call record companies today.